“Fantastic hotel (with one deal-breaker)”

Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Providence
New Jersey
“Fantastic hotel (with one deal-breaker)”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel, all around. I stayed here three nights in June for a conference, and in general thought it was one of the best hotels I have stayed in. I used many of the services. Room was QUIET, really nicely decorated, with thoughtful touches. Room service was prompt and friendly, as was all the service. I used the gym on several mornings, and there is a good variety of equipment, clean and well-supplied. I ate dinner at the Temple restaurant, which was very good, and also had breakfast there a couple of mornings, also good and not overpriced.
The building itself has an interesting history as well.

However great this hotel was though, the next time I come into town I'll need to stay in another hotel for one reason only: the internet service was pay-per-day, and very unreliable. I was working remotely in my room, and the pay-for-service kept dropping out if I had not accessed the internet in a while. Very very aggravating, the hotel needs to either get free wi-fi or a different internet provider.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank OllieTheCat
, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank-you for your fabulous comments and observations.I do apologize for your challenge with internet connectivity. Although connectivity issues are not the norm, we have realized that it is important to continually look at our services and upgrade them as necessary. You will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of moving ahead with an intensive upgrade of our IT and wifi services throughout our guestrooms and meeting space. We just concluded this in a number of meeting rooms and are now proceeding to our guest room areas. Once again thank-you for your feedback and rest assured we are currently in the process of upgrading our IT and wifi capabilities to meet the growing needs of our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in May with my family and girlfriend for my brothers graduation from RISD.

First pulled up to be greeted very promptly by the bellman and valet. Checked in with out a problem and went up to our rooms, to find that they were right by the elevator, which my mother was not a fan of. So went back downstairs and they changed our rooms without a problem, even though they were full for the weekend, front desk staff were very accommodating even though they had a full house.

Room was nice and clean along with the bathroom. Didn't get a room with a view of the Capitol building next door, but that's just fine. Bed was great to sleep in, only complaint was that the pillows were not that great at all, very uncomfortable for my liking, but then again that's just personal preference. At night the turn down service is as always, a nice touch. The room also had a mini fridge and coffee maker, with the mini fridge coming in handy for left overs from dinner/lunch. No microwave to re heat food items though.

The restaurant attached to the hotel, Temple, is a great place to eat if you are getting in late and don't feel like going out for a bite to eat. Greek/Mediterranean inspired cuisine that was pretty good for my whole party with a great menu of cocktails and beers. My parents had eaten there before and said it was just as good as the first time.

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family. This was my parents second time staying at the hotel and my first. But I would go back a second time if I ever make it back to Providence in my life time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lee P
, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank-you for your fabulous observations about our hotel and Temple Restaurant. I am happy to hear we were able to accomodate your requests and that you had a wonderful visit in our city. RISD graduation weekend is a great time to be here and experience all Providence has to offer. Happy to hear you had a great time and I wish you and your family many more wonderful discoveries ahead.
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Not my first choice in providence. It's a decent hotel in a strange building - former Masonic temple I think- without a lot of windows. The rooms are comfortable enough but it's seems overpriced for what it is and as others have noted they nickel & dime you on Internet and parking. Good location, but there are others that are just as good and cost less.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Edward R
Thank-you for your observations. Our building is a former Masonic Temple with over an 80 year history. It is quite unique and in a magnificient location directly across from Rhode Island State Capitol. We apprciate your comments that there are other choices in the market and that we may not be everyone's first choice, however the amount of guests that discover and experience our hotel and become loyal repeat guests far outweigh the one's who do not. We help our guests to Live Life to Discover and I attribute that to a wonderful caring staff who go above and beyond each day to make our guests feel special. In relation to our charges relative to internet and parking, we are comparable to similar properties in the market. Once again thank-you for your observations.
New England
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a gem of a hotel. I stay here for business. It is the only hotel where I really get a decent nights sleep. Ask for a quiet corner room. The decor is out of Town and Country Magazine. You melt into the hotel's comfortable beds. Do eat at the Temple Restaurant or have a drink in their lounge. I like the back room area of the lounge for privacy. Friday night they had a roast suckling pig. Granted, this is a turn-off for many--yet if you have never tired this, you are missing tender pork with various handmade chutneys. A well managed and run hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. If you want a view, ask for a room facing the State House. Executive Club Lou...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Woopiedo
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank-you for your wonderful observations about our hotel and Temple Restaurant. It is fabulous that you discovered us. We look forward to help you "Live Life to Discover" in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel is new to me and it is clearly relatively new. The room was very nice. The front desk and the valet service were extraordinarily attentive. It is nicely situated if you are driving with easy exits to I-95. I thought this was perhaps that best of the high end hotels in Providence.

Room Tip: The rooms facing east have a wonderful view of the capital and park.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jimtons
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and it is wonderful that you found our rooms, front desk staff and valet service to be extraordinary.We also appreciate your observations that you found us to be the best of the high end hotels in Providence. Thank-you once again.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 17, 2012

After being out late at the Providence Water Fire, my 3 friends and I decided to stay downtown. The Renaissance Hotel had availability at 1:30am. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious. We got two rooms.

Since my friend paid for her room in cash, she was required to leave an additional $100 deposit (on top of the room cost $213) for the front desk attendant to rent her the room. This was not a problem - we completely understood their business practice (since all four of us are business owners). The attendant reminded us to be sure to check out at the front desk the next morning to retrieve her $100 deposit. The attendant told us we would receive our receipts under our doors in the morning.

The next morning there were no receipts slid under our door and at the front desk, we were told there was NO RECORD of my friend paying the additional $100 cash deposit. Even though the manager agreed that they would not have rented the room to us in cash without us leaving a $100 cash deposit. She said she would have to get in touch with the night attendant, before refunding my friend her deposit. After waiting for half an hour to "hear something back" from the night attendant, we had to leave empty handed to get my friends to the airport.

Hindsight being 20/20, we should have never left the front desk that night without a receipt of the deposit. It was 1:30am and we were at one of the "finer" hotels in Providence, so we never gave it a second thought.

I've stopped back in to check on the "progress" only to be told they can't do anything because they have no record of it. We encouraged them to watch their security camera video, but they said it wasn't an option - maybe the cameras were fake - who knows. It's been a full week and we haven't received a follow up phone call, email or anything.

Quick Recap:
Four people checking into hotel watch guest pay additional $100 cash deposit.
+All front desk attendants agree they would not have been permitted to rent us the room in cash without that deposit.
+We do not get the cash deposit refunded because the attendant did not record it (and provide us a receipt) in advance indicating we had paid the deposit.
=Frustrating

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Capitol were beautiful at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Valerie A
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank-you for your feedback. We have verified that the $100 cash deposit was waived at check-in and returned, this has been verified by our security cameras which I would be happy to share with you. We had no record of the deposit in question because we did not take one. It was waived based on the fact that we had a credit card on file for the second room. We sent out a communication last week about this and I apologize that you did not have an opportunity to review it prior to posting your review. We are very proud of our practices here on all levels, which is why we are continually rated #1 in the market on Trip Advisor.
Milton, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I've stayed at the Renaissance Providence twice in the past year because I serve on an alumni board and our group was booked there. I wasn't sure what to expect from the Renaissance, hadn't heard of it before we were booked there, and didn't know anyone who'd stayed there before. I was very pleasantly surprised! The staff are very welcoming, and the valet service is friendly and prompt (though parking is expensive, which is why I've given only four stars). The rooms are large, nicely appointed and clean, and the bathrooms are sparkling. The history of the building (a former Masonic temple) is evident throughout the hotel with architectural drawings of the original building and intriguing architectural details. The Providence Place Mall is practically next door, the state house is across the street and very pretty at night, WaterFire and the Amtrak station are each a couple of blocks away, and Brown University and RISD are 3-5 minutes away by car. I have found my "go-to" hotel in Providence. I'll definitely stay there again when I go back for my reunion.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and we appreciate your loyalty. It is fabulous that you consider us your "go-to" hotel in Providence and that we will see you again in the future. We appreciate your feedback and look ahead to being of service to you in the near future.