“Perfect location and style, but a few little problems easy to overlook”
Review of The Dean Hotel

The Dean Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I can't image a better location for walking around Providence- almost exactly between College and Fed Hills. It's a very cool hotel, but I do agree with some reviewers who believe there is a little style over function going on. Shower heads could have been placed further in to avoid much of the water issues.

Bed was too soft for my liking, too. That said, it's a nice hotel for the price, and has a lot of extras we enjoyed. Did not miss the absence of a phone or closets. Light fixtures were very attractive and we loved the tiny old elevator.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michele S
Aarin C, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thanks very much for the review travelbug! I'm sorry the quality of the sleep wasn't to your liking but glad that the experience wasn't ruined because of it. We appreciate the feedback on some of the design aspects too. It's been a wonderful labor of love rehabbing such an old building.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Love this hotel!!! Logan, from the front desk was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean and very minimalist styled but very comfy. No closet but who needs it? There's hangers and hooks for clothes. The bed and pillows were so comfy. Walking distance to the great restaurants, small shops and the big mall. The Faust, german-restaurant, get their fries with curry ketchup! To die for!! Must go to the Birch too...highly recommended, very pricey but worth it! Ok why did I gave it only 4 stars??? Our first night, Logan upgraded us to the King Suite at the 5th floor. Very very nice! We told them we read their article from the Architectural Digest and would love to stay there for a night. But I fell in love with the room (even though they have a bathroom issues but didnt bother me, a good reason to have clean towels everyday) so I told my boyfriend that I won't go anywhere else. So we went downstairs and tried to get another night at the same room. Logan wasn't there :( so the other guy gave us room# 307. Big mistake!!! Don't get me wrong, i love the room which got a queen size bed, the shower is much better and bigger...BUT...the noise!!!! I couldn't sleep. My boyfriend tried to turn on the TV so it won't bother me much, but it didnt work. Short story is I watched George Bush Family Album twice on Fox News because I can't sleep!!! I highly recommend this chic hotel, really, just avoid room #307, or bring an ear plug, or hope Logan is in the front desk to help you.

Room Tip: Avoid room# #307. 5th floor is the best!
Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marieagustin
Aarin C, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Marie,

Thanks for the review and the kind words! I'm glad that you enjoyed the first leg of your stay and sorry that we couldn't keep you in the same room when you opted to extend! I'm not quite sure where the noise came from which kept you up but I'm more than happy to make sure you don't get put in that room again as it left a sour taste.

I'm glad you enjoyed Logan's service and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I had heard great things from my friends who had stayed there- they were all very right! We live in NYC but travel to RI often to visit my parents. Not only are they Pet friendly, but the rooms are simple and chic, bed is so comfy and the hotel offers a wide variety of watering holes and hang outs.. After a day at the beach we didn't even leave the hotel at night... there was no need... the boom box was such a fun atmosphere! Really reminiscent to Korea town karaoke. I will never stay anywhere else in PVD and I cannot wait to rebook for our next trip! my only regret is I didn't get a chance to eat at Faust- next time! Probably in a few weeks!

Room Tip: The Queen room is perfect for a couple and our puppy... but next time I will spend more and get a b...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thanks so much for your kind words! Our little hotel is the product of big ideas and a collaboration between ASH NYC & The Steel Yard here in Providence! So you are right on with your review title! I'm really glad you enjoyed the space and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Feel free to reach out to me directly should you need any further recommendations or choose to voice any further questions or comments!

Hi everyone!

I just got back from spending the weekend in Providence, Rhode Island. I was so impressed with my lodging that I had to write about my experience as soon as I could.

I read about The Dean Hotel in various periodicals and made a conscious effort to make my way to Providence.

The decor of the hotel is absolutely stunning. It's whimsical and fun. The rooms are effortlessly chic and well done.

I personally am a huge fan of rain showers and the European set up is great as well.

During my very short stay, I was able to experience Faust, the restaurant attached to the hotel. I sampled several small dishes and was happy with each of my selections. My favorite was the asparagus salad. An absolute must!

The next morning, I grabbed myself a mocha from Bolt Coffee Co. and sat underneath the neon sign to catch up on my e-mails and gather my thoughts. The coffee bar was superb and the attention to detail was excellent.

My overall opinion of this hotel is quite high and I recommend everyone to stay at this hotel if you're in the Providence area.

My tip is simple: Go to the hotel and take it all in. Relax! You won't regret your decision.

I will more than likely head back to the hotel before the summer ends.

Room Tip: You must eat at Faust. Make the time to check out this restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jetsettingnomad

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and kind words! We've been working hard to give this city something it can really call its own and its wonderful to hear that its been well received.

Feel free to contact me directly should you have any further questions about the design, or simply want to voice any other questions or comments.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I like this hotel. It's well decorated, if a bit spare. The rooms are attractive, as is the inviting lobby, and the coffee shop in the lobby is superb. Just outstanding. The restaurant next door, Faust, is trying so so hard to be cool that it has sucked much of the inherent fun in the process of eating. The food, wine, and beer was mostly excellent. (Avoid the baked spaetzle, but the pork schnitzel was outstanding.)

The facilities in the room, however, are lacking. Our room had no closets: there are two hooks with hangers. That seems okay, but no dresser, into which you can put your clothes or onto which you can put stuff — wallet, phone, etc. There also was no dedicated table or ottoman onto which you could put your suitcase, aside from the couch, but who wants to fill up the couch with stuff? Seems a very poor design plan. Form ignoring function.

The worst of the design plans, however, was the bathroom. Upon arrival, which was pleasant, we were advised that the shower is a "European Style." Translation: there's no door on the shower stall. Really. I know some Europeans. I've visited Europe. I've lived in Europe. And no Europeans I met like their bathroom floor flooded, which, believe it or not, is what happens when you don't have a door to a shower stall. How is that European? Clearly, this is an ongoing problem, which is why we were apprised of the situation upon checking in. Naturally, we used most of the towels on the floor to mop up the deluge.

I would return, but ask for extra towels from the get go. So, pack your galoshes, bring an extra table, and enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank eustist

Thanks for your review of the Hotel after your stay last month! I appreciate how well balanced your comments are given the obvious frustration you must've encountered with your shower situation. It's certainly something we are working to make adjustments to. I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your mention of possibly visiting us again in the future! Feel free to contact me directly should you have any further questions, comments, or concerns that I can address.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

The Dean had the best bed and pillows I've ever come across. Was not expecting that in a such a minimalist, sleek hotel. Great overall personality to the place. Staff I encountered were all helpful. Took hotel bike for 5 minute ride to North Restaurant, which I am going to review next! Don't get to Providence much and the Dean was a fun find and made the trip memorable. Some reviewers mentioned noise and I was concerned about that when I booked....I definitely heard it. I think it is the old school cage elevator motor starting up, sounds like someone is starting up a floor sander a couple of floors down. They need to either ditch the tiny elevator (very charming) or replace the motor. I should say that I easily drowned out the noise with the in-room AC /Heat unit...so it is not a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room further away from the old school elevator...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thanks for your review of the Hotel after your stay last month! The beds are certainly a particular pride & joy as they were made locally for us and the linens are awesome! I'm sorry the groan of the elevator made itself so apparent, but I suppose that's one of the charms that comes along with rehabbing a historic building!

Regards,

Reviewed June 7, 2014

We spent one night here during Brown Reunion weekend. We would definitely stay here again. Comfortable room, great atmosphere, well designed. Gay bar around the corner was a pleasant diversion for a couple of hours. We liked the layout of the room and the chic bathroom. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScottNewportCoast_CA

Guys - Thanks so much for the kind words following your stay last month! It's been a pleasure getting to know all of the wonderful people who are checking us out! Look us up next time you are in Providence!