“Great Location and Best Rates”
Review of Hotel Dolce Villa

Hotel Dolce Villa
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Providence
providence, ri
“Great Location and Best Rates”
Reviewed January 5, 2010

The room was very clean and bigger than I thought it would be. The location can't be beat, you'll have the best restaurants in Providence at a walking distance. The manager Steve and staff were very freindly and attentive. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fun011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
tapit
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We got a great deal on the night before New Year's Eve and I was really jazzed to go since I'd read about it when it opened. Then I read the bad reviews on ths site and I was pretty nervous aobut staying there. But when we got there it was fabulous. There was an odor- but it was a lovely citrusy smell. The room was really clean and comfy and of course the location couldn't be beat. We didn't have to use the car at all. Pretty magic.
Go there!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patti C
Maine
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Previous trips to Providence I stayed at the Westin, Courtyard Marriott and Marriott and thought they we’re all ok, not fabulous but nothing to complain about. I chose this hotel because my friends wanted a place we could cook a few meals with a great location. To balance this review I will say the location was perfect and the unit was fairly clean. You can walk to any of the federal hill restaurants, shops, bars. So 5 star location, unfortunately that’s where it ends. The hotel itself was the absolute worst hotel (motel would be a better description) I have ever stepped foot in. The odor when you walked in was horrific and was everywhere, the lobby, stairwells and units. I’ll describe the unit as low income inner city projects or inner city dorm room. The furniture was from the 70’s and very worn. The appliances were ok but the beds, bedding, pillows, bathroom, living room, tvs’s, non working fireplace were just YUCKY. It was 1970 Miami want to be art deco or European low income style. I will never in my lifetime step foot in this building and was truly embarrassed just being there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
6 Thank pilot2pilz
EastRi, Steve Tremmel,GM at Hotel Dolce Villa, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
So Sorry You Stayed!

Thanks for your comments. Please let me tell you a bit about the Dolce Villa in the vibrant Federal Hill area. The hotel is not quite 5 years old including everything inside it , we enjoy the many great comments we receive on this site as well as the many others. I am not quite sure what you mean with "European low income style" but we encourage everyone to view our website and the many others like TripAdvisor to view both guest photo's as well as ours including 360 degrees videos of our different suite types such as the balcony suite you stayed in. This will give a great suite and amenities description and feel for our suites before guest arrive. As for the scent we use it is form a company called "Scent Air" and is a company many of the branded hotels use for signature scents to add to there properties. I am sorry it was not to your liking, we do have many positive comments on it. Again I am sorry you stayed and felt embarrassed our goal has always been to have guest have a positive experience here and if there are issues with anything to please contact us immediately so we can rectify it or find a more suitable room type. Thanks again for your comments .
Leicester, UK
Reviewed November 13, 2009

The location of this hotel is fantastic - Federal Hill is a total Italian enclave but within walking distance of the city centre. I like appartment hotels, too, but this one is seriously flawed. The decor is entirely white - white walls, floors, curtains, furniture. It's a bit like living inside a fridge. The first room they gave us smelled of cigarette smoke (can you believe any idiot smokes in a hotel these days?) so they moved us to another, which was bit darker and pokier. the windows didn't oen and the room was hot and stuffy, even in October. However, the main problem is noise. All the floors have cerami tile floors and there is little sound-proofing. The woman in wooden soled shoes and a large wheeled suitcase who checked into the room above us at 1 am would have wakened the dead, et salne us. By the time she had gone to bed, it was 3 am and the hen party group cameack from club to party some more. The enxt niht we got moved to the two bedroom suite with balcony on the top floor - frsh air and no-one above us. I wouldn't dismiss this place out of hand but avoid weekends and ask for a room on the top floor.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ianewestt
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a girls weekend and thought we had found a great place due it's location right in Fed Hill. We booked two of their suites that sleep 6 comfortably and was affordable. But that's where the positives end.

When we checked into one of the suites, we were immediately hit with a strong odor of gas the second we walked in the door, and saw that the gas fire place had a low flame that wouldn't go out. To add insult to injury, both of the 2 smoke/CO2 detectors in the room weren't working - one was pulled out of the ceiling and the other had the batter popped out. Sketchy. We called to notify the front desk, and they told us to blow out the pilot light and everything would go away. Now, come on - it's common sense that you don't blow out a pilot light ever. But it was done, and when we came back from dinner, the odor was still there and we were all getting headaches and dizzy within ten minutes of being in the room. We called the front desk again, and they told us not to worry about it, it happens all the time and to just crack a window and we'd be fine. I don't think so - there was no way we were going to risk carbon monoxide poisoning for this crappy hotel.

We called back - this time they told us the gas wasn't even turned on in the building, so there was no way there could be a leak. Um...if the gas wasn't turn on, then why was there a flame in the fireplace when we first check in. Then, at 1:00 AM, we called again and the only person who did anything about our problem was the night watchman on duty. After we convinced him we weren't exaggerating (Note: he was also the only person who actually came to the room to check out the situation and agreed it smelled strongly of gas and we shouldn't sleep there), he offered us the “only other vacant room” in the hotel. Only problem was, it wasn't a suite and could only sleep 3 not 6. So we then had to pull mattresses in from the old room to the new room so the rest of us could sleep on the floor. And no, help was not offered - we girls did this all by ourselves.

When we checked out, we actually had to ask for a compensation for all the problems - none was ever offered. We finally walked away with a $100 discount (not very much when we had 12 girls staying in that hotel). IMO, they should have comped the entire stay. I hope others read this and STAY AWAY from this hotel. The fact that there were even willing to risk having 6 girls sleep in a room that could have been leaking deadly gas is beyond my comprehension.

As an side, the hotel decor itself is very unusual. It's like they were built as apartments or condos then turned it into a hotel b/c the rooms had full kitchens. The decor was very odd - the entire hotel is white. Not a stitch of color anywhere - white floors, white walls, white sheets, white leather sofas, white rugs. Very sparse and insane-asylum feeling. I think they're trying to go for an Italian boutique feel, but it didn't work out. All in all, this hotel was a total FAIL.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank BostonMAC
EastRi, Steve Tremmel,GM at Hotel Dolce Villa, responded to this review, November 16, 2009
Your comments are very important to us. We at the Hotel Dolce Villa want in no way to compromise anyone's safety. After immediately checking your 2 bedroom suite I found both detectors functioning properly and would have sounded if anything was unusual in the room. The fireplaces are in fact gas and do have a slight sense of that when only the pilot light is on as in your case. If we are correct you had 2 rooms for the 12 girls and the other room was set up the same and had the fireplace in that room. We did check that suite as well and found it be functioning correct as well.
We were in fact almost sold out on that night and only had the1 smaller suite available. Our night auditor was unaware you were moving mattresses or would have positively done this for you.

After reviewing your folio we did in fact credit you. Please be sure to check with the other 11 girls in your party to be sure you were not charged incorrectly. If so please contact us ASAP so we can rectify this. I know you had a special rate for the 6 girls per room.
I again assure you were not in any danger. As for the white we know it is not to everyone's liking. It does however allow us to have immaculate rooms as you can see from the many reviews on this site. Thank you again for your review it has been a learning experience for us.

Steve Tremmel,GM
texas
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We moved from the Westin to here, and glad we did. We had a room with a full kitchen for a third the price of the Westin. Located in the heart of 'little italy", there are great resturants, bakeries and delis within walkng distance.There are no elevators, but I had no problem walking a few flight of stairs to save 150.00/ night.
Do not eat at Walters. The worst service I have ever had. Over 2 hrs to get a dinner served, after ordering!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Maine
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We asked for a room for a jacuzzi. What we got was a bathtub with some air jets. I don't know what they clean the rooms with, but there were disgusting stains under the sheets and the smell from whatever they use for cleaning materials caused us to be nautilus. We actually had to leave an hour and a half into our stay. The tv guide said they offered HBO. That was not true. I had to carry our bags up 3 flights of stairs. As far as the area, I know the area and it's nowhere I would want to be caught at night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple