“hidden jewel on Federal Hill”
Review of Hotel Dolce Villa

Hotel Dolce Villa
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed April 7, 2013

On the spur of the moment I booked a room at the Hotel Dolce Villa on Federal Hill, Providence. I took the train from Boston and grabbed a 6 dollar cab from the station to this quaint hotel in the DePasquale Plaza surrounded by awesome restaurants. When I got to the hotel at almost 10pm, the clerk upgraded me to a 2 bedroom suite with fully stocked kitchen and lovely balcony overlooking the plaza. He made some dinner suggestions and gave me discount coupons. Everyone I asked said the same thing; that the bar for good restaurants is high on Federal Hill and you can't go wrong with any choice of eateries. The suite was clean and spacious, the beds comfortable and I felt very safe and secure. The weather was a little cool but I could imagine that in the warmer weather, the sounds of music and people strolling the plaza would be fun to experience. (especially sitting out from the balcony with a glass of red wine!) Tons of outside seating for alfresco dining. Right around the corner from the hotel was a sweet hookah bar called Smoke. These hookah bars abound on the Hill and it was something I had never experienced. I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was. The music and dj was fabulous. There was a bakery in the plaza that was fab and the next morning I ate at the Dolce Villa Cafe *
(with a 20%coupon from the very personable clerk, I wish I wrote his name down. The owners certainly have a great employee there) The desk is manned 24 hours and they couldn't be more agreeable) I will definitely come back to the Hotel Dolce Villa.

Room Tip: There is valet parking which I thought was very reasonable.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank celticlady75

Reviewed January 2, 2013

So I booked this trip for my boyfriend and me for a new year’s getaway. I went on the hotels website and the rooms look amazing. So there I decided to stay. When I get the hotel I ask the clerk where the valet is. He tells me it around the corner and it will take forty five to get my car tonight because it is a busy night. On top it I have to pay twenty dollars which I don’t mind. So I decided to park on the street. I get in my room it smells like bleach. The heat must have been on eighty it was so hot in there. So I lower the heat and it was still hot in there. My view was of ally way. I had a kitchen , a little couch and a sitting area with a tv that didn’t work. It also had bathroom and a bedroom. The bed was very comfy it had memory form mattress. The tv did work in that room. But it was so hot in the room all night I had the heat lowed to sixty eight and two windows open. Also kept the covers off and still was sweating, the heat kept clicking in kept half of the night. I would not stay there again. I didn’t get that cozy feeling.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank coco s
Reviewed December 2, 2012

After I booked a room here I came to this site and read the reviews. There were a lot of negative ones which almost made me cancel my reservations. I am so happy I didn't! I can honestly say that this was the best hotel stay I have ever had. I really liked the look of our suite and it was spotless. We stayed in 3A and had a balcony overlooking the square. The bed was so comfortable, I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. The staff was friendly and eager to please. We called when we got there and the guy at the desk explained very clearly to us where to leave our car for the valet parking. The suite was so affordable, I had no problem paying the 20 dollar fee.

The restaurants we were given discounts to (20% off!) were excellent with wonderful staffs. I could not be more pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank katielk36
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Hotel Dolce Villa on Don Pasquale Boulevard is definitely a hidden gem; a bright, sunny, breath of fresh air with its modern style, uncluttered, yet providing every comfort a traveler may desire. Despite its location on a busy piazza in the heart of Providence's busy Little Italy, Hotel Dolce Villa is a quiet retreat that seems off the beaten path. A small boutique hotel, it's corridors are quiet and have a feel of an exclusive apartment residence rather than a touristy extended stay. The standard room where I stayed is spacious and very comfortable with its

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 1, 2012

As I enter the address of the hotel, i get a warning from GPS, 'this address is in a pedestrian only area'! so i call the hotel, The front desk answers, you need to pull into an alley behind the hotel and come through the back door. first of all, there are so many alleys in that area, not many street signs. Not only that, all the parking spaces on Atwells ave (main street right next to the hotel) are designated as 'valet only' Orange cones everywhere!! so, i finally find a spot at Walgreen's a block away and i hurry to check in. i was told that they will valet it for $20. Wake up next morning, it was parked on the street behind the hotel. I ask why not in a secured area. 'we do that so you can walk around the area and not worry about it.'

The room 2B was o.k., sort of a suite like the Embassy S but pseudo art deco. Kitchen set up, refrigirator, stove, etc. it has a foam memory bed, which i never slept on and had hard time falling asleep on. it is good that the band outside in front of the hotel stopped playing at 10 pm. i was about to ask for another room.

Do be careful, the pedestrians do not pay attention. No less than 6 times, i almost hit these young people, some talking on the phone, walking into the street paying no attention. I mean without missing a stride, or looking at the car coming!

Room Tip: i don't see where there could be a quiet room. Back of the hotel is a club, front is the square...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank snmklee
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Forget the big box chain Hotels and try a nice European style hotel. We stayed in room 1B, which was a 2 room apartment style room. It came with a complete well stocked kitchen, including microwave popcorn.
The room was very clean with 2 Flat screen TV'S, one in the living area and one in the bedroom. The Bathoorm came with a jacuzzi Tub, better grade towels, hair dryer and a nice grade of soap, shampoo and shower cap.
The bed was a foam matteress which was very comfortabe.
The hotel is located in a active night life area with 20-30 restraunts in walking distance, As you walk out of the hotel you come onto a Plaza with about 15 restraunts, all with outside seating. The night we were there 8/23/12 there was music playing on the plaza. It is a little confusing finding the entrance to the hotel but not unlike what you find in Europe. The parking is Valet Parking since it would be impossible to find parking with all the restraunts. This could have been explained better on the web site and Hotwire which I used. We asked that our car be ready at 6:30 AM and it was waiting for us when we checked out.
I used Hotwire and paid $65.00 plus $20.00 for parking which was half the rice of the local chain hotels which would never have been as nice or comfortable.
Do your self a favor and try something different.

Room Tip: Try room 1B
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jdmlr
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Nice staff and great price. Those are the highlights. There is tile everywhere, which makes for an impersonal/institutional feel. Bed and pillows were foam/terrible. Clean enough. No elevator. View of the A/C condensor. They'd be better off getting rid of the kitchenettes and making the one room bigger. I think they're going for a cramped, European look, but that only works if you're actually in Europe.

Also, Federal Hill is party central and like a Jersey Shore theme park. My Sicilian wife and I were appalled. Boston's North End, it is not! Next time we'll stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a quiet room. 2E wasn't bad.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple