1,319 results
All reviewsgrace churchbrick wallarts districtcharming hotelvalet parkingchain hotelswithin walking distancestreet noisethe general managerjunior suiteloved this hotelvalet servicefront desk staffgreat roomheart of downtownking bedbrown university
Reviewed March 5, 2007

At first we looked at b &b's throughout the area for a weekend orientation trip for RISD. Nothing really impressed me that much, and the nicer ones were already booked.
All the reviews here made me want to stay here. We love the old world charming, not high rise concrete structure type of hotels.
This place was perfect for us. The location was better then I expected, we pulled up and the valet took good care of our car. One thing, if you park the car yourself, 1/2 block down there's a lot where you pay just 10 bucks a day. Here at the hotel it was 20 something, but we did it for the convenience. The hotel staff were very nice and couldn't do enough for you. The conciege guy Jim, was from NYC, the Stanhope hotel (which was a great old charmer) and he was terrific as far as helping us find restaurants etc, The hotel lobby is beautiful, so is the restaurant, but we didn't eat there. We took the advice of someone on trip advisor and went to Siena.
This restaurant was really fantastic. From the time we got there and sat down, we were standing by the open kitchen watching the food being made. The kitchen operation was incredible to watch, immaculate, and the 2 nice italian brothers that owned it, oversaw everything that came out of there. If one thing wasn't right, they'd send it back in. The presentation of the food was outstanding as well as the quality. Every dish was sprinkled with fresh herbs at the end. The eggplant appetizer was a 10. The shrimp special of the day was 6 jumbo shrimp standing and covered with a spectacular spicy but sweet tomato sauce. Served with perfectly cooked string beans and polenta. My hubs seafood pasta was covered in fresh , wonderful seafood. He raved. The best part was, this was all very reasonable. The one owner was chatting with us and we asked him to rec a restaurant for the next nite. He not only rec'd one, but he took the time to actually call the place and make us a reservation!! And, he was so busy! Turns out we didn't go there, we needed something earlier.
We ate the next nite at Mediteraneo and that was a disappointment and way more expensive compared to this. The food was good and the service was great but every entree was over 30 bucks.

All in all, we will be back to the hotel Providence and Siena.
Excellent choice.
Wish we could find a restaurant in NYC like Siena....

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank lutece
Reviewed February 26, 2007

We went to this hotel for a quick getaway and had a wonderful time
The on site retaurant, LEpicurio had a wonerful dinner prior to our going to see a play. The room was spotless, niclely decorated and comfortable. It certainly didn't hurt that despite booking a "deluxe" room at a discounted rate we were upgraded to a suite at check in.

This is a luxurious hotel, and deserves its reputation.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mshklar
Reviewed February 10, 2007

This is by far the best hotel I have ever visited! I am a business traveler who has stayed at MANY hotels around the country. I made my reservations by calling the hotel directly. The reservationist was very helpful, friendly, and professional. When I got to the hotel, I was promptly greeted by valet and a bellman. The handsome front desk agent resembled Frankie Munez -- he was very personable and professional! Check-in was a breeze! The rooms are absolutely beautiful and spotlessly clean! The bed are the most comfortable I have ever slept on!

After settling in my room, I called the front desk for dinner reservations-- they of course, recommended L'Epicureo, which is the restaurant inside of the hotel. I was a little skeptical at first, but the food was absolutely amazing! The restaurant complimented the fabulous hotel perfectly!

Overall my stay was flawless! This is a true 4-Diamond property-- the best in Providence by far!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank NDT321
Reviewed December 26, 2006

I have stayed at the Hotel Providence approx. 6 or 7 times. It is an elegant
hotel with beautiful rooms. And, the front desk staff welcome you by name. It
is one of my favorite hotels and by far the best hotel in Providence.

Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed December 3, 2006

Overall, a refined place to stay, and the glitches are outweighed by the concept. Hopefully, concept comes to equal potential as this little gem matures. The Hotel Providence is housed in a seven-story magnificently refuribished building, neatly tucked away on Mathewson at the corner of Westminster, where a small park and benches encircle a fountain. L'Epicureo, the hotel restaurant, faces Westminster. The property is surrounded by the alley-like streets of what was Providence in days of old.

However, the physical structure is about the only thing that's seasoned at this 2-year young property. Every member of the staff I met hailed from afar, and most apologized that they'd only been in Providence for a few months when queried about restaurants or points of interest. That said, they did endeavor to be helpful when nudged along.

I was paying a full fare rate on a slightly-discounted shopping package deal, with a $10 Nordstrom gift card and $24 valet parking thrown in, so I pressed for a room on a high floor. Room 620 was a corner room that overlooked Mathewson Street, and the northeastern exposure was bright and cheerful in the morning. The church bells down the street which began at 9am Sunday morning were not. They ring every 15 minutes it seems.

While the Westin and less spectacular chain hotels adjoin Providence Place Mall, The Hotel Providence is situated only three blocks from the Trinity Repertory Company and a five minute walk to the Civic Center and mall. 7-11 is only two blocks away near the bus circle, as there is no minibar nor frig in the room for snacks. Stores line Westminster and the downtown area, but downtown Providence is still a 9-5 operation aside from the big venues.

The rooms are well appointed and have the feel of an upscale B&B. Lighting was good with four separate lamps and an overhead light near the entryway. The closet was ample with an ironing board and luggage rack and automatic light which turned on and off with the door position. Nice touch! Curtains and white sheers were both easy-to-move and ornate. The entertainment center opened to a large TV and shelves with nice glassware and and an ice bucket. The three drawers to one side couldn't open due to a design flaw. The Bathroom was pure white with stainless steel fixtures and glass shelves. The ionic 1875 hair dryer, lighted make-up mirror and scale were nice touches, as were the two robes and rainfall shower with curved shower enclosure. Sundries were upscale, and the only thing missing amidst the accoutrements was cotton and a sewing kit.

The fitness center is in the basement under the restaurant and very efficiently designed as well for a moderate sized room. There were two treadmills, two ellipticals and two bicycles, along with free weights, a stablility ball, two mats and three weight machines. A yoga mat and CD player for a tape would have been nice. Three plasma TVs blared ESPN on the wall, with no switching mechanism available. Towels in the gym were the same quality as in the rooms, which was nice for a gym and a little rough for an upscale bathroom. Once again, good design.

The bar was sparsely inhabited on a Saturday night, and the bartenderes were also neophytes in Providence but very nice. Wine by the bottle appeared interesting, but by the glass, the menu was sparse and unimaginative. Sunday brunch was barren, it felt weird to walk in without anyone else seated in the large dining room. The sausage red pepper omlette was well prepared, but my glass of milk was rancid. The young waiter appeared mortified, but no apology from the management was made, and he had no problem charging me a substantial sum for soda refills by the glass from the bar.

The hotel restaurant can't compete with the dining choices on Federal Hill in the old Italian section of town. It's a 5-10 minute drive with free valet parking if you can't snag a space. I dined at Zooma's and Scenia, and both were superb. Don't miss a viist to Scalio's Bakery nearby. They're all within a block on Atwells Avenue. The confections are superb, and I only wish I'd known I could get past TSA with them!

The Hotel Providence is a nice find in a city with abundant chain choices. The appointments and amenitites are quite good, and once the staff is a bit more seasoned, it will hopefully become the gem that it has the potential to be.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo