“Not very good and a bit pretentious”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed October 6, 2006

I do agree with some of the reviews with this hotel
And have mixed feeling with my experience at this particular property.

I had to stay here for two nights since my company paid for it.
The hotel's lobby is elegant but this mixed with the reception staff who seemed a bit cold, partly due to the fact that they may be told to demonstrate a sense of professionalism and class........thus whole pretentious attitude bothered me, this is Providence not Paris.

My room was very small as other reviewers have noted. The bed was a full size and not the king that was stated in my reservation and I had a view of an ugly building. I did find some hairs on the duvet and that disgusted me. The bathroom proved to be clean and spacious and was almost the size of the actual guest room.

The block that the hotel is located in seemed undesirable, I did notice a strip club half a block down. If you are willing to walk 5 to 6 blocks to the better neighbourhood you can find some nice restaurants and shops.

I would not pay to stay here since I think that Providence has better and less expensive hotels in better areas.

I did not try the restaurant since it seemed empty and not very inviting.

On a positive note I should add that the valet attendants where very nice and attentive.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Daltrey2000

Reviewed September 9, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our way to Martha's Vineyard. The bellman greated us immediately and check-in was a breeze. Our room was beautifully decorated and was a nice romantic get-away. Our room was on the third floor and looked out on the air conditioning units. No matter since we didn't book the hotel for the view. There was no noise from the AC and we barely noticed the church bells.

The staff was very friendly and provided great information to help us spend our time on our first visit to Providence. One item left untouched by the staff however was someone's roomservice plate by the room next door. It was there when we checked in on Friday and still there when we checked out on Saturday. That was really my only "complaint" regarding our visit.

We booked the bed and breakfast package so we were able to enjoy brreakfast in the hotel restaurant. The food was excellent and again the wait staff was great (the fresh squeezed OJ was the piece de resistance!). It was a great way to start off a day of exploring the city.

We felt comfortable walking in the area and would recommend lunch and/or dinner at the Bravo Brasserie. The food was incredible...especially the tub o' macaroni and cheese. Overall our visit to Providence was great and the Hotel Providence, along with the Bravo Brasserie, made it even better.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UCTraveler
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Stayed one night in this hotel this summer. The style is sort of fake-Euro, so don't come expecting the real thing -- lots of green marble and gold foil leaf. Our room was average. Worst thing -- the housekeeping closet/room was opposite our room and the door was always left open. Piles of sheets and garbage. Not something I really want to see.

Unlike some other reviewers, I loved the location. Westminster has changed a lot since I was a kid and it's now bustling with bars, cafes, and shops. Overall I think this is a perfectly fine place to stay, just make sure you search for a great online rate. I got mine on Hotwire for $99 and I wouldn't pay much more.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MSMann
Reviewed August 18, 2006

My family stayed here for 1 night in August on the way to the Cape. So glad we did as the drive to the Cape was perfect since we left Providence at 7:30am.

I compare this hotel to the Ritz Carlton chain.

There was a bellman to greet us at the door and a guy to valet our car immediately. Perfect service.

Check-in was a breeze. Very friendly and quick service along with a cute teady bear for our 1 year old.

The room was just beautiful. Spotlessly clean (my wife is a clean freak), very nicely appointed, crown molding etc.. The free crib was already set up in the room for us. We did hear a little bit of music outside the window that ended about 10pm but it was a jazz pianist so it was fine.

The area around the hotel seemed a little suspect. Not bad but maybe?? Hard to say as we just went down the street for dinner. By the way, dinner was fantastic at Bravo Brassiere maybe 4 blocks for the front door. Laid back pace with really upscale food.

Check-out was equally easy.

I paid $90 on Priceline but they do have occasional specials. Get on their mailing list...

7  Thank DM
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My husband, two kids (ages 4 months and 2 yrs) and I stayed in a junior suite for two nights. Just to give you an idea of our perspective, we generally try to stay at upscale hotels like the Four Seasons . . . this seemed like the closest we could get in Providence. I have stayed at the Biltmore before and was really not at all impressed with it, so we were hoping for something better this time.

We arrived at 9 p.m. or so and check-in went smoothly. As another reviewer wrote, our daughter was given a stuffed bear when we arrived, which she loved and still sleeps with every night. (They even gave us a second one for my daughter's friend whose name is Providence.) There was a valet and a bellman waiting right outside for us and check-in was easy and efficient.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and had a view of another building so it wasn't terribly light (couldn't tell whether the sky was blue or cloudy), and it was right outside the elevator which was kind of annoying. I'd suggest moving rooms if you get the one right by the elevator because it can be quite loud. The junior suite was a regular room with a parlor attached . . . plenty of space for us, our two kids and all our stuff. The staff had left a port-a-crib in the room, which we didn't need, but it was a nice thought. The parlor is separated from the main room by a door and has a couch, coffee table and flat screen television as well as a closet. I wouldn't throw a party in there but it was enough space for my daughter's aerobed. The main room was nicely furnished, decent sized, and had a smallish but nice bathroom. The drawbacks to the bathroom were that there was no bathtub (not a problem for most, but my 2 year old took her first shower on that trip) and the sink is a pedestal sink so there was no counter space - we just used the windowsill. The rain shower was nice (I have one at home so I am used to the lighter pressure) and the toiletries were high end. The towels were very nice and bathrobes were provided. Also provided was a full size hair dryer, which you don't see too often.

Housekeeping was pretty good - the room and bathroom were very clean, and our room was made up at some point while we were gone during the day, even down to arranging my daugther's stuffed animals in her bed. Turndown, on the other hand, was pretty disappointing. The second night, the only way we knew they had been in the room was the chocolates (Lindor, yum) on the bed.

The service was overall quite good. Everyone we met was friendly and accomodating. The only problem I had was that the staff seemed to be overworked. There was one person manning the front desk who seemed to be responsible for check-in and out, as well as answering every call from a guest or from outside and arranging to take care of each one's needs. He seemed truly overwhelmed by how much he had to do. Likewise, there weren't enough valets or bellmen . . . we had to wait 20 minutes or so for assistance with our luggage on checkout, as well as for our car to be brought around. It wasn't that the staff was slow or lazy, they just had too much to do.

As for the area, it didn't bother me at all. I didn't see any panhandlers, nor did I hear or see partying college students. (We stayed on Thursday and Friday nights.) There is a nice mall close by with Cheesecake Factory and a couple of other restaurants and the usual mall stores. Starbucks just down the street, and easy access to the interstate. Yes, the church bells were loud and annoying, but only ring from 9 a.m. to 8 or 9 p.m. at the latest, so we weren't around to hear them much. Yes, it's true, at some times of the day, it wasn't just a loud ringing, it was ringing, the full chorus of "Hallelujah" and some overture. It really was kind of ridiculous, but unless your'e trying to sleep during the middle of the day, shouldn't be a problem.

All in all, I thought it was a nice place. It's no Four Seasons, but it's the closest you're going to get in Providence. It's clean and new with good service and tasty chocolates each night. If you book online, keep checking back after you book, as the rates do change frequently. Our room price went down twice between the time I booked it and the time of our stay, and I contacted the hotel, who twice rebooked me at the lower rate, which later went back up.

6  Thank mrswh
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We are fairly fussy vacationers--with a toddler and older child in tow--and we were truly impressed with the Hotel Providence.
The staff was more than accomodating, and even gave my children stuffed bears upon our entrance. Our room was beautifully decorated, the rain shower magnificent, and the bed heavenly. If we didn't have our kids with us, it could have been a second honeymoon.
Our room was clean and luxurious. It was not huge, but didn't need to be. The elegant bathroom was large enough.
The hotel was a longer walk to eateries and attractions, but only by a couple blocks. Since it is located in the older part of the city, it was a great way to take in the older architecture.
It really is old world European charm.

4  Thank 2inTow
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Dissappointing, even to the extent that it's a bit humorous. I agree with a number of other fellow travelers who question the self-imposed luxury status.

The noise at night in the streets, the artificial church bells next door ringing every hour, the paper thin wall construction, the blissfully unaware staff, combined with a seedy part of town overwhelmed by pan-handlers makes for a memorable experiance.

It makes one wonder if the owners have ever traveled in true luxury before.....

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business