“Excellent rate and beautiful hotel”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Excellent rate and beautiful hotel”
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Pros: Great location, beautiful lobby, beautiful room
Cons: $24 for parking per night, room on smaller side

• Liked — Room was beautifully decorated
  • Disliked — Parking was $24 per night
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elliot T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
NY
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We wanted something with a central location and this was it! The hotel is located in "Down City" yet conveniently close to Federal Hill, Providence Place mall, etc. They were also running a special "Home for the Holidays" rate that was $99/night- super deal for a beautiful boutique hotel. An old building (1897) that was totally renovated with many modern conveniences. Super comfortable beds! The staff was first-rate and offered pleasant service and many fine recommendations throughout our stay.

• Liked — Pretty much everything!
  • Disliked — A bit of outside noise after 2am when the bars close.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank crazydogs
east texas
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We found the hotel to be a jewel nestled in a somewhat unsavory area. The decor of the hotel, its antiques and ambience, were very nice. The staff was extremely helpful and responsive to our requests/needs. The accomodations were very comfortable, nice, and spacious. We got a very good price on the room.
The Hotel's Aspire Restaraunt had great food and great service. The chef's pan-seared chicken was outstanding.
The attached bar was nice and quiet, indeed, it was virtually abandoned save for a couple celebrating their recent nuptials. There is a small, nice attached park area outside the hotel, accessible from the bar and restaraunt, which we relaxed in after dining.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — surroundings
  • Stayed April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank 101apache
massachusetts
Reviewed December 14, 2008

We booked just one night and chose The Hotel Providence because it is within walking distance to The Providence Performing Arts Center down the street. The hotel and rooms are spotless. The staff from the front desk, bell hop, valet service, etc. are all first class and professional. The entire staff will go out of their way to help you. Our problem was with the banging from the building's heating system. The pipes would bang every seven or so minutes, from the minute we arrived to the morning of our departure. It was impossbile for either of us to sleep at night. Until this problem is corrected, we won't be back.

• Liked — The entire staff is first class!
  • Disliked — Cannot sleep due to banging pipes!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scooter105
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Booked a stay on the hotel website. Called to cancel. Was told they couldn't find my reservation. Emailed the hotel and was assured three separate times my reservation had been canceled and I would not be charged. Now, I look at my bill, and I was charged. I call, they say I made two reservations and only canceled one. They are refunding my charges, but I have wasted HOURS of my life dealing with these people and got nothing in return. For a hotel that prides itself on service, they are failing miserably.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank freecycle
Massachusetts
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Our stay here was ok, but not as nice as I had expected it to be. There were a few problems that seemed unnecessary. I will also say that this hotel was our second choice, but I was excited to stay here since we try and find offbeat, unusual hotels. At first everything was great, even with all the traffic from Waterfire (why we were there too), we had no problem getting to the hotel and valet took the car, the receptionist was nice, our room was on the top floor and had great views. It also struck us as being very clean. The room was not huge, but was fine, the best was excellent, very soft and comfy. The bathroom was huge and also very clean and beautiful.

When I realized I had forgotten to ask for a late check out I called the front desk, and was told no(!) by a man. I was told the hotel was booked full so it wasn't an option. I was not impressed by this. When we returned in the late evening the same girl was at reception and I asked again about a late check out and this time was told we could have the room until 1pm.

During the night there was noise that sounded like pipes banging in the walls. It was irritating, but ultimately it didn't keep us from sleeping. My husband did say that it sounded like people outside were having a party till about 4am, but since he was up anyway this wasn't an issue. However the church next door did chime every half hour or hour and since our morning there was Sunday they went all morning too.

About 10:30 we tried to order breakfast to the room but had enormous trouble doing so. There was no room service menu in our room so I dialed the room service ext. only to get a voicemail. I called the front desk who assured me they did do breakfast and I should call roomservice. I told him I had gotten no answer, but front desk said they would have someone call us. They did right away, but were reluctant to bring us a menu, the girl wanted to go over the choices over the phone with me , which I thought was odd. I asked again for a menu to be sent up. It finally was, but I felt like we had to go to alot of work for something that shouldn't have been that hard.

When we left the valet brought our car and then left with our keys! We had to go and find someone to find him to get our keys back. That was a little strange too.

Overall our stay was good, but I'm not sure I'd stay here again. There are other hotels in the area that would be worth checking out.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank akiwisgirl
HotelProvidence, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, December 5, 2008
Although I am pleased that you found our accommodations comfortable and luxurious, I am extremely disappointed that you and your family did not experience our high level of dedication on your last visit. I can assure you that your comments were taken very seriously and have been addressed within the particular departments.

I apologize if the front desk was too abrupt in their inability to extend a late checkout, as we had a large group checking in that day and needed to attend to cleaning the rooms swiftly. Normally be would be happy to extend the courtesy of a late checkout.

The external noises that you experienced are difficult to control. Although each of us is different in our tolerance level of these types of noise, many of our guests find the church bells to be a charming element of our neighborhood.

Unfortunately the room service attendant that you encountered was new in her position; however that is not an excuse for the difficulty that you encountered. I have addressed that issue in detail with our food and beverage team. Likewise, I have addressed the attention slip of our valet with our valet service provider.

The Hotel Providence continuously strives to provide personalized and exceptional service to all of our guests. We truly appreciate your taking the time to give us your honest and invaluable feedback, and we will employ your comments in an effort to further refine our property.

Greg Stafford
Sudbury, MA
Reviewed October 5, 2008

The Hotel Providence is right downtown and a good location if you want to go to WaterFire. However, it's on the edge of a slightly sketchy area. My wife did not feel comfortable walking around at night.

The property is actually converted from an old department store that was well known in Providence and retains much of the charm of the old building. It is well furnished and the rooms have very comfortable beds and high ceilings - definitely not your standard hotel decor. I would have like a better radio. The room had an iHome for iPod hookup, but I forgot mine and wanted to use the radio, which is sub-standard at best. None of the presets were set to anything and the tuning is almost useless. The TV was o.k. but had the standard LodgeNet fare which seems to be dominating hotels everywhere these days.

The restaurant was closed for the night for a private wedding party, but that was o.k. There are lots of good restaurants nearby.

We were up late and would have liked to try the restaurant for breakfast on Sunday morning, but they had switched to lunch by the time we got up. We went to Tazza a block away which was fantastic -- try the crab cakes Benedict for unusual and extremely good twist on an old standby.

The room had an annoyingly loud noise that sounded like a large vent fan or something in the next room. Fortunately I had ear plugs, but when I awoke in the morning I could hear & feel the vibration. My wife did not sleep with earplugs and said that there was a lot of yelling in the alley below until late at night.

The cost of the room w/king bed & shower was $229 + $24 parking + tax = $287. I think this is a bit steep for what you get. There is no pool or hot tub in the hotel -- only a small fitness room.

The staff were all very pleasant.

• Liked — The furnishings
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple