“Providence's Diamond”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
New York City, New York
“Providence's Diamond”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

There's not only one reason Hotel Providence is a FOUR DIAMOND property, but there are several reasons. My girlfriends and I stayed at the hotel for the three nights. The moment we stepped out of the taxi, we were greeted by the bell man who helped us with my luggage. The front desk manager greeted us and while we were waiting to be checked in, we had some hot coffee and biscotti that were in the lobby for guests. The interior design was beautiful, not to mention, the furniture and books that furnished that lobby could also be purchased! I appreciate that the staff was attentive to guests' needs. The guests behind me in line were from London and the staff had a clock hung with London's timezone. I'm definitely a fan of the personalized touches! The bedroom was spacious and comfortable and true to the pictures on their website as well. The housekeepers were friendly and everyone greeted us with smiles and hellos. My girlfriends and I decided to stay in and dine at the hotel's restaurant Aspire. We wanted to sit in the courtyard since the weather was beautiful. It was Reggae night and we had so much fun! Not only was the food amazing (the truffle fries are to die for) but the service and entertainment was superb. Overall, Hotel Providence is the total package. The area is convenient for us ladies because we were within walking distance to the mall and unique boutiques within the area. The dining options were endless and we saved money on transportation because we were able to walk to the bars and restaurants. I definitely recommend the hotel and I will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
We do appreciate your kind compliments in your Trip Advisor review. I am pleased you and your girlfriends had the opportunity to dine in our A-Garden restaurant and enjoy the music and the truffle fries! It appears you all had a wonderful weekend together and we are delighted that we could play a role in making your time together memorable. We look forward to your returning to Providence.
David G. Benton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Best service and the best room I've seen at a mid-range price ($207 for a two-room suite that was huge and well-furnished). Staff was very friendly, genuine, and prompt. Front desk picked up on second ring every time. Called down to find ice machine and person who answered offered to bring ice to the room and did in a matter of a few minutes. Bed was divine. Steps from everything in a young, vibrant, human-sized city located on a river and a harbor, a couple blocks from Brown University, RI School of Design. VERY gay friendly town and hotel. A real standout.

Room Tip: When reserving, wise to ask about street fairs, outdoor music, etc. Certain rooms face streets where...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful Trip Advisor review. We are so pleased that you found the service from our staff to your liking and that the location of the hotel was convenient to all of the places you wanted to visit. We are most proud of our staff and I will pass on your gracious compliments to them.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Very nice atmosphere,great food and excellent service.Constantin was very professional, warm and inviting. Although he was busy, he did not rush us, instead allowing us to enjoy the night.
The Cod with quinoa was great and the bread pudding was amazing.

1 Thank Christina W
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. We are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us. Your compliments about the food and our server, Constantin, are much appreciated. It will give me great pleasure to relate your wonderful compliments about the cod, quinoa and bread pudding to the executive chef and the pastry chef and their kitchen brigade, and to let Constantin know how much you appreciated his excellent service. Hopefully, you will visit Providence again; we look forward to seeing you.
Boston
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The reviews of this place are pretty much spot on except I didn't hear any noise and it was a sat night. I was on the 6th floor.

The Good:
1. Rosella! Sweet and efficient!
2. Food: My guest had the marguerita pizza.. Too much cheese but very good. I got the turkey club. Breakfast was very good...great sourdough bread. Great Yukon gold home fries! But butter was too hard to spread on toast. Soften it before table.
3. Staff: Aside from the early morning Sunday gentleman behind the front desk, great all around (It was obvious he was tired). Staff quality and training are the strongest selling points of this hotel.
4. Location: Quiet yet in the middle of downtown. And a beautiful hotel.
5. Music in restaurant was delightful.

The What Happened or Huh?
1. The room service order was never given to the kitchen. After an hour late, I called and they had no records of it. To their credit, they didn't charge me and were very apologetic and again, the staff made a difficult situation better. They walked up a comp drink as well--classy touch.
2. So, I walked into breakfast at 702 and the hostess couldn't find breakfast menus? A minor thing. Get the menus settled a priori not post hoc, please. She was very pleasant but the barometer of inefficiency was already starting.
3. The bed sheets were so wrinkled that I was wondering if they were even changed. I didn't find evidence of use but I've never seem such a sloppy bottom sheet.
4. Water should be served at breakfast instinctively or server should ask.
5. Oddly, too, the server in the am came over and asked "would you like the check?," when about 2/3 of my meal was still on the plate. The next table took the lead and subsequent to her peculiar question, he said "no check for us yet."

Would I stay again? Absolutely! And I always appreciate efforts to make difficult and unpredictable circumstances more palatable. My comments border on picky and that tells you the overall experience was fine. It warrants 5 stars.

Finally, after staying at the Omni in April and the Biltmore in February, this place easily tops them in many ways.

Room Tip: The rooms are situated beautifully and my friend on the 3rd floor facing church never found fault wi...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your detailed review on Trip Advisor. Your gracious compliments are very much appreciated and will be shared with the staff. I apologize for the lapses in service you experienced for your morning meals. We take your commments very seriously and have initiated training for improvement. We are pleased that your overall stay with us was enjoyable and look forward to your return, whenever your travels bring you back this way.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Providence for one night while attending a graduation. The room was clean, the staff was nice, and the beds were super comfortable. The only complaint is the amount they charged to park our car for the night….$28. But I guess that is what happens in the older cities with limited parking. I did like that the hotel was walking distance from everything we wanted to do so we didn't have to navigate our way in a car with all the one way streets.

Room Tip: The rooms are small
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. We are pleased you liked the location, the staff and the cleanliness of your room, and appreciate your kind compliments. Hopefully, you will have an opportunity to visit with us again on your next trip to New England.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Well, it is a beautiful facility. Had a couple of issues, which management resolved. 1st was being from out of town, I took the front desk clerk's word that overnight parking was ok on the street. WRONG. There is an unposted law in Providence , no overnight parking on ANY public street in Providence from 2 to 5 am. Got a $20 ticket. Manager comped me the $28 parking for my 2nd and final night. 2)
They decided they had to paint the door of the adjoining room with oil based paint at 6pm . I was just coming in with sushi to eat in the room while I did some paperwork. Could smell it under the door.
Housekeeping never replenished my coffee, had to call again a 2nd time after 90 minutes of waiting .
Positives were that I had a nice corner room with view of the church tower and clock. Great location. Decent breakfast at the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review and your detailed comments. We take your comments very seriously and have discussed your concerns with the appropriate department heads for improvement. We look forward to your next visit, and for you to have a perfect stay with us.
South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Central location-easy to walk to most areas, especially Federal Hill. Large clean room with oversized bath, great towels and flatscreen TV. Excellent staff all around, doormen were very helpful with directions and recommendations.Freshly baked cookies and coffee in the lobby. Knob on shower fell off and they repaired w/o me even calling. Would be 5 star except for following 1) $28 per night parking seems steep 2)A draught beer in the bar over $10-really?3) it's commendable the church across the street serves Sunday breakfast to the homeless but it was a little creepy having a large congregation of homeless in front of the hotel, though doormen handled the situation safely.4) really slow elevator.5) Early light floods room, even w shades closed-if you're sensitive to that, like me, you'll awake earlier than you like. Still, a very nice place in the heart of the city.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank onlaydoc
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. We are pleased your overall stay was enjoyable and that you found the hotel to your liking. Your constructive comments are very much appreciated and we will be following up with our staff. We are looking forward to your return whenever your travels bring you back to Providence.