“Charming and centrally located”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Connecticut
“Charming and centrally located”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This small hotel has much more charm than the soulless chains nearby. The location is great: you can walk most anywhere and the downtown arts area has a nice vibe to it. You'll find the rooms are very nicely appointed, with large clean bathrooms and a very comfy bed. We were on the top floor and the room was very quiet despite the central city location: the only surprise was the hourly chiming of church bells next door, which stopped at 9 pm, luckily. We did not try the hotel restaurant because there are so many other great options within a few blocks' walk. We found that the price of the room dropped fairly significantly about one week before our stay, so book in advance but keep checking for lower rates up until the cancellation deadline. Early check-in was not a problem: we asked in advance and the room was ready at 1 pm.

Room Tip: we asked for a room on an upper floor
1 Thank Dyova
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Dyova,
We appreciate your wonderful review on Trip Advisor. As you so correctly point out, there is something special about an independent, small, boutique hotel, where the service can be personalized for each guest. So pleased you found your accommodations to your liking. We look forward to seeing you again, when next in Providence.
David G. Benton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Philadelphia
Reviewed March 29, 2014

On the whole this is a lovely hotel. The atmosphere is charming and the staff were efficient and helpful, if not warm. The room was very nice, but a little small, as was the bathroom. I did appreciate the restaurant staff's friendliness, and the fact that they offer a true sit down breakfast (coffee could be stronger!) We had some trouble accessing the internet, and their was some construction going on which marred the experience a bit. but on the whole a nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Simplegifts,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We are quite pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for alerting me to the Internet connection, which is being checked immediately, as is the coffee machine. We look forward to your return visit, whenever your travels bring you back to Providence.
Cape Cod
Reviewed March 18, 2014

For many years, any time I have traveled to Providence I have stayed at the Omni (formerly Westin). This time I chose Hotel Providence and was not disappointed! The location is perfect, you are walking distance from dozens of restaurants and bars as well as the Dunkin Donuts Center and theatre district. The rooms are very large for a boutique hotel and looked as if they had been recently renovated, I was very impressed. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A parking tip: there are many parking garages in the vicinity but some are not open 24 hours and charge a fee for overnight parking and you have no access to your car after hours. I parked in the Biltmore garage which is a 3 minute walk around the corner from the hotel, it is open 24 hours and is on par with the other garages for cost. I think they max out at $20 for 24 hours which seemed reasonable compared to other cities. The only complaint is that they have 1 elevator and it is very slow, take the stairs. And if you need to sleep in, bring earplugs because there is a church next door that plays church bells all day long (probably once every hour), though I'm not sure when the bells start, 7-8a.m? I highly recommend Hotel Providence to anybody visiting the city, great value.

1 Thank Greenskeeper19
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Greenskeeper,
We very much appreciate your taking the time to write a review for Trip Advisor, and delighted that you had an enjoyable visit with us. Although we love our neighbors at the church and enjoy the church bells, we are conscious that this is not for everyone. To that end, I am pleased to let you know that new double-paned windows will be installed the week of March 24th. We wish you well and look forward to your return to the hotel when next your travels bring you back to Providence.
Ledyard, Connecticut
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We have wanted to stay at Hotel Providence for years, yet despite many trips to the city we never could get a room at this charming boutique hotel in the center of action in Providence. Located in a prime spot near all the best down city restaurants, bars, theaters and clubs, Hotel Providence is housed in a beautiful old building; the architecture and detail alone is worth the visit. Our room on a corner gave us great views of the city. There was some street noise, but we enjoyed it...certainly not enough to bother us. The room was spacious, yet cozy with a fantastic bed. The bath, not overly grand, was well detailed. The staff was outstanding: they took care of our needs while not fawning over us. This is a great place for couples. If you haven’t been to Providence, you are missing one of the best cities in the Northeast. Make a trip and stay at the Hotel Providence, you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul605
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Paul,
Thank you for your wonderful review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed our City of Providence, which was recently voted by Travel + Leisure as the 8th. Coziest City. Our staff will be so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return whenever your travels bring you back to Providence.
SURRY
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed for two nights in early March. Wish I had more time to explore the neighborhood, as hotel appeared centrally located. There was a variety of good restaurants, interesting shops, plus Ellie's Bakery, all within a few blocks!

My room was on Mathewson St. side of hotel, overlooking courtyard. Sunny, good-sized corner room with two queen beds, spacious bathroom, and work desk. Great linens on bed and in bath. Staff were exceptional, across the board. I really enjoyed my stay. I would love to stay here again, especially if I had more time to see city.

1 Thank Cyrrie
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Cyrrie,
We appreciate your taking the time to write to Trip Advisor, and delighted that you not only enjoyed the hotel, but had a wonderful time in our great city of Providence. In the next few months, Waterfire, an event where fires are lit in the river that flows through the downtown area, is something not to be missed. Hopefully, we will see you again for Waterfire, if not sooner. I will pass on your gracious compliments to all of our talented staff.
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Providence for a night on business. The rate was excellent upon booking, a bit less than others in the area, so I took the chance.

Upon arriving on one of the single digit nights in January I was informed of the overnight street parking rules in Providence so I had to go get the car for the valet. They informed me they had a secure parking lot behind the hotel. One to my room I noticed the secure parking out my window, the parking lot of the strip club behind the hotel which had nothing secure about it.

The room decor was very nice, clean, and up to date. As the room I was in was on the back side of the hotel & had no other buildings blocking it, the room had tremendous icy drafts as it was a windy cold night. This left the bathroom quite freezing with all of the marble flooring & the lack of heat extending to it.

I went to the downstairs bar to get dinner & beverage only to find the bartender head down on the bar catching a quick rest. I moved on about town for dinner which was easy to find as the hotel is centrally located.

The night of rest was a poor one as the hotel backs up to an alley filled with dumpsters, which my window looked over at. Three separate times dumpsters were emptied overnight with the nose from garbage trucks, slamming dumpsters, & the wonderful providence homeless yelling. When I brought this up at check out all i got was a blank stare.

Upon checking out I waited 20 min for my car which was a 2 minute walk away.

I will look for other accommodations upon my next visit to Providence, while the room was very nice, it was not a restful place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank buckysouth
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Buckysouth,
Thank you for letting me know of your concerns on your most recent stay with us. I apologize for the difficulties you encountered during your visit. There is no excuse for the problems you experienced. I am pleased to let you know that the parking lot is patrolled all through the night, and that new windows will be installed in the last week of March to ensure the rooms are airtight.
Again, my apologies for a less than perfect stay.
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 5, 2014

If you are looking for above average service, great food and amazing attention to detail do not pass up the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Providence. Treat yourself to a real jewel! Providence is a charming town, this hotel is the primer jewel in the crown!

Room Tip: Higher floors even more quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear KrinskyT,
Thank you very much for your gracious compliments about the Hotel Providence. We are pleased that you enjoyed the City of Providence and your visit to our hotel. Hopefully, you will return in the not too distant future and be able to enjoy our waterscape, nearby beaches, and arts and cultural programs.