“Lovely Hotel; Wonderful Service”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Mainer
“Lovely Hotel; Wonderful Service”
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We stayed in a King Suite, with 2 teens. The suite was very spacious, the bathroom was beautiful with deep jacuzzi, separate, oversized shower stall, marble floor and double sink vanity, the king bed wonderfully comfortable, and the furnishings were tasteful. Having a small refrigerator in the room was a plus, allowing us to keep water and beverages cold. Also, plenty of extra pillows, and towels.
One thing we really appreciated was the turn down service. When we returned from dinner on our first nite there, not only had they turned down the king bed, but they had also made up the sofa bed, turned down the linens, and left lindt chocolate and the tv remote on the sofabed. We travel alot with our teenage daughter, and often even in very nice hotels, they forget to makeup the sofa bed (even when registered for 3, and emailed request to makeup bed) or even forget to leave linens at all. Often we need to call the front desk and wait for linens, and then makeup sofabed ourselves. What a delight to have staff so attentive that they had bed madeup without our having to request it.
On the downside, as noted elsewhere, the bells are loud and start at about 8am. But, they thankfully do not ring during the night. Rooms that are further away from the church are probably quieter. Our room was right accross from church, so bells were loud. If you are an early riser and do not intend to nap during the day it would be fine. The hotel also has a soundproofed king suite on the 2nd floor. Would definitely be worth asking for the soundproofed room or at least one farthest away from the church.
We were surprised that in the bedroom we could also hear our neighbors pretty clearly. Other issue was that sofabed mattress was not very comfortable (even for a sofabed) and altho hotel stated it is "queen" we think it was smaller. Would only be good for 2 young children.
We did not find the area around the hotel "sketchy" as some had indicated. There are several fun restaurants close by (try Bravos for lunch or brunch), we walked to everything except a dinner on Federal Hill. The downtown, gov't center, Providence Place mall, Brown and RISD, and waterfront are all easily accessible.
All and all, it is a beautiful hotel with impeccable service, but not as quiet as expected for such a nice hotel.

• Liked — Wonderful service; spacious, well appointed room; oversized bathroom
  • Disliked — Noise from bells and room next door
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 3, 2008

This is a great little hotel. The staff was amazing and helpful, and the decor was top notch as well.

Here are the things that really stood out for me:

-- The property has a nice mix between antiques and modern fixtures.
-- As I mentioned, the staff is top notch
-- The bed was amazing, with 2000 thread count linens (whatever the thread count, felt amazing to sleep on, you will not want to get out of bed)
-- In room internet access was super fast, did not experience one slow down. (It was ethernet, not Wifi)
-- Everything just felt quality
-- The price was not that much more expensive than the chain hotels downtown I priced - and you get a ton better experience than a chain hotel.

Here are the down sides:

-- There is a church right across the street, and starting at 8:00am in starts donging at 15 minute intervals. I had a hard time sleeping in because I'm from the West coast and it was early for me. I was on the 7th floor, so very close to the bells. (Very nice church to look out the window at though).
-- Only one elevator, so had to wait a couple times for a while.
-- I did not try the hotel eats, but looks like a nice restaurant.

Location is excellent for walking around looking at old Providence. Walk to the NE up the hill towards Brown University. Then walk up and down Benefit Street, the most amazing collection of Colonial architecture you will ever find. Make sure to walk around Brown University as well.

This hotel will charm your socks off if you give it a chance. I was very impressed by Providence as a whole. Great history and a boat load of charm.

• Liked — The property is awesome in it's decor, and the location was perfect.
  • Disliked — Not much to complain about.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Foxboro, MA
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I was in charge of a reunion for my college friends. We decided on Providence and I found the Hotel Providence online. I am so happy I chose this lovely old hotel. It is just beautiful, all updated with nice, clean rooms. The staff is very friendly and accomodating, couldn't have treated us nicer! Everything was in walking distance of the hotel. We had a wonerful weekend together, and my friends were very happy with my choice of hotels. Great place!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
MA
Reviewed April 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed in King suite with a "Lost in Bliss" package for one night. I cannot say enough about the excellent service we received. Service was terrific on the internet and at the hotel. It was my wife's birthday and I asked if we could have a cake waiting in the room. They ordered the cake and had it waiting in the room upon our arrival. The room was spacious and very clean. The king bed was was extremely comfortable. I can't say more about the wonderfully large bath with the jacuzzi tub. Very relaxing!! We had room service for breakfast and the food was delicious. I have read some other reviews discussing the church bells being "too loud." I did not find this to be the case. I thought the bells rang softly and would not wake you up from sleep. I highly recommend this hotel.

TripAdvisor member from MA

• Liked — Jacuzzi tub & very comfortable king bed.
  • Disliked — Stay not long enough!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 30, 2008

While doing a tour of area colleges, we wanted to economize, and I couldn't believe the luxury and elegance of this hotel for the relatively modest price. The room furnishings were sumptuous and beautiful. The lobby, though small, was charming. The valet car service was prompt and excellent (though the daily parking rate was not cheap). Service was very pleasant and warm, as a small hotel should be. Biggest criticism: The elevator was small and slow; I was on the second floor, and found it faster to take the stairs.

• Liked — Beautful, sumptuous room decor
  • Disliked — small, slow elevator
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
massachusetts
Reviewed March 5, 2008

The Hotel Providence is elegant and old fashioned in a cozy way. Nestled in a quiet downtown neighborhood, it feels like you went back in time to a place where staying in a hotel meant being taken care of. If they had an elevator operator, I would've sworn it was 1950.

I stayed in a junior suite. The bed was nice and the furnishings comfortable. I agree that the water pressure in the shower wasn't terrific, but it was far from bad.

I had dinner in the restaurant's bar. The selections on the bar menu are excellent and affordable. I also had a very nice breakfast in the restaurant, which counters what the previous reviewer wrote about room service only.

If you are concerned about the bells chiming, ask for a room on the opposite side from the church. I barely heard them.

• Liked — Cozy feeling
  • Stayed February 2008
1 Thank leftwing
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2008

The good - This is a beautifully furnished and very clean hotel in the heart of Providence. Service seemed quite nice although I didnt really put it to the test. I had a junior suite which was generous and I asked for late checkout and got it.

The annoyances:

- top of the list are the incredibly annoying church bells that are right around the corner and ring incessantly. They go on and on announcing the hour, playing a tune, or just ringing randomly. Amazing.

- the bathroom (which was huge) had what was a beautiful rain shower head, which, of course set high expectations of a lovely shower. You turn on the shower, and...a fairly modest trickly of water. About average for a hotel shower but plain wierd for that giant shower head.

- the restuarant in the hotel is very fancy but I wanted a simple brunch and they apparently dont serve breakfast. so room service is your choice there.

Overall I'd give this hotel a 3.5 rating. I wouldnt stay again because of the church bells.

Stayed February 2008