“Very nice!”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We traveled from CA and stayed here in May as my son was graduating from law school. The building is very impressive. The lobby was very cozy. We had two lovely awesome rooms. I believe they were 212 and 312. Request THOSE rooms when you check in. They are HUGE. Lovely. Spacious. The bed was very comfy, the bathroom was fab and the shower was heavenly.
The staff was very nice. Very helpful. Always with smiles on their faces.

As far as restaurants, my graduating son who has lived in RI for 3 years attending law school made a reservation at an amazing, fabulous restaurant called ALFORNO! OMG we ate like KINGS. It was wonderful. Here is the link. http://www.alforno.com

So when you plan to travel to Providence, consider THIS hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Providence

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were very impressed with our recent visit to the Hotel Providence in early July 2013. The lobby was nice, our room (king) was overlooking the courtyard and the 5th floor. We thought it was very bright and spacious, and clean. The ceilings were extremely high. The bathroom was white marble & extremely nice. The staff couldn't have been more helpful - from the front desk right down to the valet parking attendents. I have to agree, that it wouldn't be a place for long walks. The parking fee was quite a bit high, (28.00) considering you can park at the marriott copley in downtown boston for (25.00). We were also a little dissappointed with the breakfast that we ordered from room service - 50.00 for 2 plates of scrambled eggs w/bacon, english muffin, orange juice. We ordered coffee as well. You would have thought they would have sent up a carafe, not just 2-4oz. mugs. That aside-the facility is beautiful, very clean, we would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zick24
Tricia C, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We're delighted that you were pleased with your room and found our team to be friendly and helpful. It's unfortunate that you were disappointed with room service. We appreciate the feedback and have recently acquired a new restaurant manager who has vastly improved our food and beverage operation. I hope you will give us another chance during your next visit. We look forward to your return!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here in mid-April 2013. Beautiful architecture - curved staircase, ornamental railing. Lovely. First room was dark and narrow overlooking roof with loud A/C unit. Asked to switch with no problem to a very large and bright room in the front of the original, main building. The front desk has a binder of photos of available rooms (very cool), and we were also able to see the room before moving. Other travelers complained about the church bells...I LOVE church bells. We traveled with our small dog, and all staff were so sweet and loving toward him. I just wish they had a hotel dog-sitting service or could have recommended one.

Our only problem was with room service. It was a Monday night and each time we called room service, it went to voice mail. I finally made the trek down to the restaurant, which defeated the convenience of calling room service! When I ordered, I was told that the dinner menu was not being offered, only the lighter fare menu because it was a slow night. I finally decided on two items, which I was told were not available. :( The story goes from bad to worse...long wait for the food, being given the wrong order (luckily ours was also on the cart), no condiments with the burger, and an incredibly unprofessional server who asked for a tip (I thought the delivery fee and 18% mandatory gratuity were enough). We didn't bother to call down for ketchup - figured we'd only get voice mail anyway. However, the manager phoned me after I sent him an email explaining our unpleasant experience. He was incredibly responsive and apologetic, and said that the server no longer worked at the hotel. He offered us compensation for our next visit, which I thought was fabulous. The manager from the restaurant also phoned me! I was very impressed. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The corner room facing the main street had a separate foyer shared with one other room - the extra d...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post. We're thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel's architecture. We love sharing the rich history of this unique space with our guests. Also, thank you for the comments on the lovely bells of Grace Church. They're wonderful neighbors (please be sure to pop in for a visit weekdays 10-3pm). The church has magnificent architecture, as well!

We're extremely dog-friendly and have a list of preferred dog vending services in the area, so I'm not sure why you didn't receive the recommendation you needed.

My sincerest apologies for your experience with room service. Although I am pleased that amends were made, it never should have happened and is not indicative of our restaurant's caliber. I can assure you that every means have be taken to avoid such future incidents.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were told that this was a very nice boutique hotel, I was not impressed. The rooms are small, the bathroom was tiny, the temperature was hard to regulate, and it was like being in a mouse maze getting to the room. The neighborhood is sketchy, turn right as you exit the door and there are some trendy shops. Turn left and there is a methadone clinic.

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Robinkh
HotelProv, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We regret that you were not impressed with our hotel. We work hard to maintain our property and provide excellent service every single day. The layout is a bit different, due to the fact that the integrity of the two historic buildings that house the hotel were considered during the initial 2005 refurbishment. There is nothing cookie-cutter about the space and we believe that's part of the charm!
In the past 6 years our neighborhood has undergone tremendous growth with boutique shops and cafes thriving on the streets surrounding us. Although The Methodist Church on our block serves a Sunday breakfast for the homeless there is no clinic in the downtown area.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel is nicely restored and it is quite luxurious. The room was clean, comfortable and quite lovely. I felt a little uncomfortable walking around the area and don't believe I would venture outside in the dark. Even though it was quiet, there were people hanging out on the street. And if you drive and park there, there is a fee of $28 which I found a bit excessive in view of the price of the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your last visit. We're pleased that you found Hotel Providence to be luxurious and comfortable.
As in any major city, Providence has a small vagrant population. We work closely with the Downtown Improvement Safety Patrol, as well as the Providence Police Force to ensure the safety of our guests and will continue to do so. We encourage you to explore our historic, culture-rich neighborhood upon your next visit.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Providence for one night, June 30, 2013. The beds were comfortable, the room clean, and nice amenities. I really liked the spaciousness of the bathroom. The only problems were the huge stains on the bed skirt and on the curtain in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay 28.00 for valet parking
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Providence. We're glad you enjoyed the spaciousness of our guest rooms, as well as, our amenities. I apologize for the stains you encountered. We're in the process of replacing the bed skirts in many of our guest rooms.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We spent two weekend nights at the Hotel Providence at the end of June. We had a room on the second floor annex (a bit difficult to get to from the main elevator in the lobby) that was small and had a view of a brick wall, but was otherwise comfortable. The room was clean and we had a relatively large and well lit bathroom. The hotel is near a lot of restaurants and bars, so it can be a bit noisy at night. We used the valet parking ($28 per night) since we needed to come and go a lot. All the staff we spoke with were friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay. Please be sure to request a room with a view upon making your reservation or at check-in. The front desk is happy to honor your request whenever possible.
I'm glad you were pleased with our valet services and were able to retrieve your vehicle in a timely manner. Thank you for your business and we hope that you will choose Hotel Providence on your next visit to Rhode Island.