“Great Romantic Escape at the Hotel Providence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Providence
MA
“Great Romantic Escape at the Hotel Providence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed in King suite with a "Lost in Bliss" package for one night. I cannot say enough about the excellent service we received. Service was terrific on the internet and at the hotel. It was my wife's birthday and I asked if we could have a cake waiting in the room. They ordered the cake and had it waiting in the room upon our arrival. The room was spacious and very clean. The king bed was was extremely comfortable. I can't say more about the wonderfully large bath with the jacuzzi tub. Very relaxing!! We had room service for breakfast and the food was delicious. I have read some other reviews discussing the church bells being "too loud." I did not find this to be the case. I thought the bells rang softly and would not wake you up from sleep. I highly recommend this hotel.

TripAdvisor member from MA

• Liked — Jacuzzi tub & very comfortable king bed.
  • Disliked — Stay not long enough!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2008

While doing a tour of area colleges, we wanted to economize, and I couldn't believe the luxury and elegance of this hotel for the relatively modest price. The room furnishings were sumptuous and beautiful. The lobby, though small, was charming. The valet car service was prompt and excellent (though the daily parking rate was not cheap). Service was very pleasant and warm, as a small hotel should be. Biggest criticism: The elevator was small and slow; I was on the second floor, and found it faster to take the stairs.

• Liked — Beautful, sumptuous room decor
  • Disliked — small, slow elevator
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2008

The Hotel Providence is elegant and old fashioned in a cozy way. Nestled in a quiet downtown neighborhood, it feels like you went back in time to a place where staying in a hotel meant being taken care of. If they had an elevator operator, I would've sworn it was 1950.

I stayed in a junior suite. The bed was nice and the furnishings comfortable. I agree that the water pressure in the shower wasn't terrific, but it was far from bad.

I had dinner in the restaurant's bar. The selections on the bar menu are excellent and affordable. I also had a very nice breakfast in the restaurant, which counters what the previous reviewer wrote about room service only.

If you are concerned about the bells chiming, ask for a room on the opposite side from the church. I barely heard them.

• Liked — Cozy feeling
  • Stayed February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank leftwing
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

The good - This is a beautifully furnished and very clean hotel in the heart of Providence. Service seemed quite nice although I didnt really put it to the test. I had a junior suite which was generous and I asked for late checkout and got it.

The annoyances:

- top of the list are the incredibly annoying church bells that are right around the corner and ring incessantly. They go on and on announcing the hour, playing a tune, or just ringing randomly. Amazing.

- the bathroom (which was huge) had what was a beautiful rain shower head, which, of course set high expectations of a lovely shower. You turn on the shower, and...a fairly modest trickly of water. About average for a hotel shower but plain wierd for that giant shower head.

- the restuarant in the hotel is very fancy but I wanted a simple brunch and they apparently dont serve breakfast. so room service is your choice there.

Overall I'd give this hotel a 3.5 rating. I wouldnt stay again because of the church bells.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank dkseattle
prov ri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

Beautiful hotel in the middle of the city. Bring your ear plugs if you want to sleep late. The bells are loud but the rooms make it worth it, they are very clean and the best bed ever. Valet is promt, but they do charge 24.00 a day to your room. Try it out you won't leave upset.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

We really liked this place. Our room was beautiful. The lobby was beautiful. The bed was super comfortable. The staff was attentive. If you want to be downtown, location is unbeatable.

We were only there one night, but our experience was perfect.

Stayed February 2008
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2008

When I made plans to attend a convention in Providence this past January, the sponsor suggested their third choice of hotel as the first two (a "chain" hotel and a "classic" hotel) were booked. After staying at The Hotel Providence, all I can say is that it will be my FIRST choice when staying in the city!

If you appreciate small, boutique hotels with character, charm and impeccable attention to service, this is your hotel. Decorated in the Belle Epoch style, with elegant, understated rooms, I found it tranquil and relaxing. It's in the Arts section of the city and everything is within easy walking distance (including the Providence Performing Arts Center and Brown University). The service is top-notch; the staff is friendly and attentive without being intrusive. My compliments to Derek, Brianna and Mark for handling all of my questions or concerns... for really making me feel like a true guest in their "home".

L'Epicureo is a wonderful, smallish restaurant and bar just off the lobby, with dark woods, beautiful stained glass and an unhurried atmosphere. Ask for Evan to be your waiter... he's sharp, funny, and can guide you through the subtleties of a brilliant menu. (The others in my party wanted him to sit down and join us!)

I've stayed in many different hotels, inns and resorts, and always look for unique experiences that leave a lasting impression long after the trip is over. The Hotel Providence is such an experience -- it's a world-class gem of a hotel!

**My use of TripAdvisor and/or its partner/parent companies does not constitute personal endorsement of TripAdvisor's products, services or practices. **

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends