“crappy service, really has gone downhill downhill don't waste your money”
Review of Blue Grotto - CLOSED

Blue Grotto
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Cross street: Weeden
Description: Visit one of the oldest and most well known Italian restaurants in all of Rhode Island. Located on Historic Federal Hill, The Blue Grotto has continued to provide exemplary traditional Italian cuisine throughout it's 30 year history. In an upscale, but casual environment, The Blue Grotto offers attentive service in a relaxed setting. The wine list is one of the best Providence has to offer.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I had reservations at this place for our first wedding anniversary. We got there on time, valeted our car and when we got inside, they were not ready for us and told us they had to wait for some tables to turn over. The hostess acted like she was doing me a favor. To make matters worse, it was a fiercy cold, frigid night and this place had no heat on and a curtain blocking the dining room. Everyone in the bar area had their coats on, We were all freezing. After about 25 minutes of waiting and not being acknowledged we decided to leave. Our first wedding anniversary, with a reservation and we could not have been treated more crappy!! Don't waste your time or money on this place. It has really gone downhill! Much nicer places to eat on federal hill then this run down, no heat, rude staff poor excuse for a restaurant.

2  Thank fiddskodak

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We visited the Blue Grotto this week to enjoy the Restaurant Week specials as this venue is rather pricy. Haven't been for years, but remembered that it was exceptional. Our dinner was ok, nothing to complain about or send back, and the service was excellent, but certainly it was not the memorable meal. The rissotto ball appetizer was somewhat gummy. The next course, a strip steak, was beautifully spiced and cooked as I asked for, but it was not-so-tender. And the dessert, the mousse, was tasty but a bit runny. With so many remarkable places on Federal Hill in Providence, I am glad that I have other choices.

1  Thank Audrey F
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Not been here in a long time. Was a regular in the early 90's. Decided to go back today on a whim; day off and it was restaurant week after all. We both had calimari was dry, tasteless, and barely warm. It tasted as it been under a heat lamp for hours. It was really not good. We did not fuss, but the folks at the table who came in after us sent back their calimari AND soup appetizer. The entree was OK.. large portion of salmon and of gnocchi. However, not yummy or making us want to return there. Desert was mixed. Very long wait and...Creme brulee was fine but tiramisu cupcake tasted like a big dense pancake with maple syrup. Not yummy or anything like tiramisu; just a strange, dry, heavy cupcake. We both were disappointed but OK with it. Dont make same mistake

2  Thank jimmeyri
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had a living social coupon, which attracted us back to a restaurant that we last visited 2 years ago. The restaurant features a 4 course dinner (cost $50 pp) which was also what the Living Social coupon entitled us. For starters we mozzarella wrapped in proscuitto. The mozzarella has a taste closer to plastic than cheese. The proscuitto was definitely the cheapest and most tasteless they could buy. A very obvious cost cutting measure. then there was a tomato focaccia bread that was drenched in balsalmic. The bottle either fell on it or the chef has the heaviest hands in Rhode Island. We then had the steak and 1/2 lobster tail. The steak was gristly and the 1/2 lobster tail had less taste than farm raised shrimp. The chocolate cake for dessert was OK, but nothing to moan over.

The restaurant has a number of signs indicating they received awards from the Wine Spectator magazine as recently as 2011. I am not sure what the Wine Spectator saw, but I saw a wine list loaded with off years and not at all diverse in its Italian offerings. Here again I got the uneasy feeling that the economy has inflicted major cost cutting on this place and it really shows.

The service was indifferent, not bad. Trust me, for $50 pp there are many restaurants in Providence that are quantum grade better than this. I can say that even with the coupon I didn't feel that it was worth it.

2  Thank william z
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Ate there yesterday. The Venue was very nice, quiet conversation possible, The three of us had the Prix Fix $15 lunch. The appetizer I had was Calamari, a bit chewy and served slightly warrm. My chicken Palmisciano on penne pasta was a tender tasty fried cutlet. The sauce was good. MY wife had the Chicken Marsala, her sauce had maple syrup taste which left it too sweet. My daughter had a Ceaser salad and salmon entre which she enjoyed. The deserts were creme brule and tiramesu. The creme brule was very good but I was not a fan of the small amount of sea salt added to the carmalized surface. The tiramesu was "o.k.". My wife's cocktail was very good.

2  Thank D M