“Dirty, rude, overpriced, ridiculous!”
Review of Rue de L'Espoir - CLOSED

Rue de L'Espoir
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fox Point
Providence
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dirty, rude, overpriced, ridiculous!”
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I am so mad at myself for not speaking up during the most dreadful restaurant experience I have ever encountered. First off, this "French" fake should be closed down by the board of health. It is filthy, not just rundown, not charmingly old, but dirty. That is the reason that it's so dark in there- to hid the filth. The food was stuck in a boring time wrap and ridiculously overpriced. Two things that I actually found appealing were not available. My wine was served in a skimpy $12 dirty glass complete with 2 different colors of lipstick on the rim. The non-server waitstaff were unfriendly, unsmiling and aloof. The servers are frenzied and obviously short handed and seemed afraid to ask the snotty manager for help. I had always wanted to try this place. It looks so inviting from the outside with the flowers and the awnings..I feel like a sucker. I should have just burned my $150 and ate it. That would have been a more appetizing experience

1 Thank HotelProvidence

Rhode Island
“portions small, drinks weak, service erratic”
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Six of us went here to celebrate my 50th birthday. I had always wanted to go so that's why I picked it. It was awful, portions were small, food was dry, meals and apps came out at odd times and not so all of us could eat at once. Bread was stale and not much of it, and drinks were watered down and small. Loud raucous group in bar, noise carried into dining area. Wait staff was pleaseant....but they didn't know how to work in a good restaurant. Will not ever go back, nothing memorable. One of the worst for the price and supposed reputation and years in business.

1 Thank Bucksmom
Satellite Beach, florida USA
“A bar filled with man-hating angry bitter women!”
Reviewed July 31, 2008

As a local, I have avoided this place for decades! Why? Just look into the bar-The average patron is a woman of a certain age-a gray haired, bitter, angry man-hating widow/divorcee/alimony collector/artsy-fartsy, pretending that she is an ARTISTE in Paris or Greenwich village. They sit there sipping their overpriced half-glass of cheap Chardonnay(The bartenders give you as little wine as possible for $8-12 a glass)complaining about their lot-When they dine there, they tend to form groups-sharing dishes to save money-fighting over the bills, etc. The food has always been overpriced and mediocre-The onion soup is a standout, however-It is actually served with onions in it! I was taken there on several occasions by out-of-town visitors against my wishes-But it was close to our home and no one wanted to drive. One of my friends ordered the scallops! He got 3 of them on a skimpy bed of lettuce for an outrageous sum! I will never forget it. Since they were paying, I felt sorry that they did not realize that we had all walked into the biggest rip-off joint on the east Side of Providence. All I can do is warn others-STAY AWAY unless you are freezing cold and need to go into a place to get onion soup to avoid frostbite.

1 Thank sneepy
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This restaurant thinks it's French, but there's no class to it. My seafood macaroni and cheese was topped with burnt...”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

This restaurant thinks it's French, but there's no class to it. My seafood macaroni and cheese was topped with burnt generic Ritz cracker crumbles. What's up with that.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“We went there right before an opera, plus the restaurant was literally across the street from our then house. We...”
Reviewed February 27, 2008

We went there right before an opera, plus the restaurant was literally across the street from our then house. We ordered something that had boiled potatoes in it, and my memory of the food was that it was fairly average bistro fare.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook