“Are you guys serious??”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Description: Julians has been serving Providence and beyond since 1994. Our award-winning brunch and seasonal menus locally source and house make as much as possible for the highest quality, most delicious dishes ever!
ohio
“Are you guys serious??”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I make a list of places to eat based on TA reviews for everywhere we go on vacation. This was our first complete shocker. We went at 9:45, like reviewers said "go before 10." That was the only thing that was right. Good location, good set up, food and staff...not so much. There is just a "j" on the outside so I asked if we were at Julian's when we walked in. We found 3 different things to try and the only thing that 2 of us liked was their seasoned potatoes. My "sith" omelette had way too much fatty ham..couldn't eat it. Pancakes, served w/ no butter...The Benedict is served w/ a large very hard piece of a roll, none of us could determine exactly what type of hard baguette it was. Salmon didn't smell good, it was piled up on my sons plate, waiter didn't even ask if it was ok, didn't refill water either. So that same very hard bread was also my toast....very odd, very bad. I thought I saw the same thing go by covered in strawberries and served as French toast....just wrong. I would not recommend and have no clue why there are so many great reviews...I don't believe it!

• Visited May 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“One of the best breakfast experiences I've had in a while.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had a rough idea of what to expect from a popular breakfast place, but Julian's blow them out of the water! Get there before 10am on a Saturday, because the place is going to get packed with a line outside the door.

First, off the place is very hip and chill vibe without being pretentious as I was greeted to the sounds of old-school Beastie Boys playing in in the restaurant. The place has a good energy with a blend of younger folks nursing hangovers (in a non-obnoxious manner), families and older folks. People didn't mind waiting in line as they got Bloody Mary's that looked really good to hold them over.

My breakfast of two eggs over medium, wheat toast and chicken sausage and butternut hash was unreal.. The toast is high quality unlike the supermarket right of the bag variety. The chicken-butternut hash with cheese in it is a culinary breakfast masterpiece-creative too. Definitely get it.

Service was a tad slow yet attentive.

I will be back if I'm in the area.

Providence, Rhode Island
“Great menu; SLOW service; kitchen mistakes”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

There is often a long line outside of Julian's. Today my lunch partner and I went to check what all the fuss is about. Plus, we heard they have chocolate chip pancakes.

They do. And they were really really really really good.

The coffee was also good. Too bad the waitress never once came by to refill my cup.

The menu was extensive, and almost every single thing looked good to me. Traditional + funky -- a nice menu that ought to serve just about all kinds.

I ordered something offbeat. When it arrived A MILLION YEARS AFTER I ORDERED IT, it was missing the critical ingredients. Think "ham & cheese omelet" without the ham or cheese. Weird, right? I had to call the waitress over. She said she'd ask the kitchen about it. In a few moments, she reported that the chef would cook me up some of the missing ingredients and it would be added to my plate. A few moments later, the chef arrived with the missing key ingredients to mix in with my dish. He said, "Good call." Um-kay.

The food was good, once it was complete. I found a hair in my food but I didn't make a stink. It happens.

Summary:
Atmosphere: super-funky and eclectic
Menu: varied and pleasing
Service: S.L.O.W.
Chocolate Chip Pancakes: awesome.
Kitchen Attention to Detail: lacking.
Special bonus points given for: Pez collection on display and Flintstones episodes on video loop on old TV in bathroom.

Recommendation: Worth a visit, but not worth waiting in line.

Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“Unique, cozy”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I went to Julian's for the first time a couple of weeks ago with a friend and I was a little skeptical because of how it looked on the outside but I gave it a chance. The places looked really cool and cozy. We sat at the bar which was comfortable and what caught my eye was the beers on tap. I love unique foreign beers. When I checked out the beer menu I was in heaven. I just recently moved to Rhode Island from New York and it was very easy to find foreign beers in NYC. So when I saw a few that I used to get back home I was really excited. They also had an option to pick for beers of you choice and create a flight. A really cool option. The staff was very nice and accommodating. I also had an appetizer, local ricotta and polenta dumplings. It was absolutely amazing!!! In my opinion anything with ricotta and polenta is great. I highly recommend this restaurant if you like unique beer and food.

• Visited April 2013
“Amazing breakfast and awesome atmosphere!! Service was okay.”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came here for breakfast on a Monday morning at 10:30am and it was packed!! This place is clearly already very well known. It has a very cool, laid back, hippie meets rock kind of vibe. We both got eggs over medium with whole wheat toast, and the best part, pork, salsa and pepper jack hash. Everything was to die for. Even the Orange juice and my vanilla creme tea was delicious!! We will definitely be returning whether it be for breakfast, dinner, or even just to sit at the bar. I cannot complain about the service, it just seemed like they were a little preoccupied because of how busy it was and I felt they could have been friendlier. All in all, wonderful experience!!!