“Old world charm”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great, casual Italian dinning. Chicken parmesan for lunch w/spaghetti was just enough volume of food for a retiree like myself and priced accordingly, $7.00. Angelo's has been a fixture on the "Hill" for at least 60 years and the model train I enjoyed as a youth is still running around the ceiling. If you want good food without breaking the bank this place is for you. This is more like eating in your grandmother's kitchen rather than a fancy overpriced restaurant. Check out the white, steel topped, tables and black and white tile floor; enjoy.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

When you want homemade casual Italian food that your grandmother from Italy used to make (I'm Irish didn't have that..) this is the place on the Hill to go! The calamari is excellent and The Rosalie special is one of my favorites! Definitely a great place for an not so expensive lunch or dinner.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

When family and friends asked what I wanted to eat while visiting Rhode Island I replied, 'Italian food'. A friend had a list of Italian restaurants she wanted to check out and Angelo's was on the list. We on a Saturday afternoon around 530pm - the restaurant was full, but we were seated fairly quickly. Our server arrived fairly quickly and answered all of our questions (a couple of people in the group had food allergies) and brought small samples of the eggplant parmesan and veal with peppers to try so we could make a final decision on entrees. We started with the fried calamari and the fried mozzarella sticks - both were tasty and not greasy. We had chicken parmesan with cavatelli, steak marinara with cavatelli ( a special that evening), veal parmesan with cavatelli and pumpkin filled ravioli ( a special that evening). The chicken parmesan received high praise, the veal parmesan was tender and tasty. The steak marinara was considered 'just okay' and the diner eating the pumpkin ravioli didn't finish the dish because it seemed to lacking in flavor. We finished with meal with mini cannolis and a lemon tart. The mini cannolis were a nice, light dessert after a heavy meal. The person who ordered the pumpkin ravioli had the lemon tart and was pleased with it. The food was good, but not outstanding. The service was good and I appreciate the time the server took to answer questions and address food allergy concerns. Parking is at a premium on Federal Hill. Angelo's has attended parking in the back and is wheel chair accessible from the rear of the building.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stopped into Angelo's with my mom at the beginning of the school year to have an early dinner. I live on Federal Hill, and have walked past Angelo's many times and it always seems to be very busy.
At first, we had trouble finding the enterance to the building, so we ended up going through the "take out" door. After the fact we find out that the enterance is actually located in the back of the restaurant... Doesn't really make sense but thats okay. They just need better signs.
A young lady took us to our table, and she was also our waitress. The restaurant was very quiet at this time because it had just opened (only a dinner restaurant), and like I said, we had early dinner so we were one of the first customers of the day. I thought, "well that might be a good thing because the food will be extra fresh!"
The atmosphere of Angelo's is very homey. There are a lot of family pictures of the original owners, which I thought gave the place a nice touch. There is also a train that is suspended from the ceiling, but only runs when money is put into the machine (I think it's 50 cents or something), and all of the money is donated to a charity. I thought that was very nice and unique because I've never seen another restaurant do that before.
Our waitress took our drink orders and brought them to us fairly quickly. She also told us that she would bring some bread out, but it was finishing baking so it would be a few more minutes. And sure enough when she brought the bread it was soft and hot and it was really yummy. Since my mom and I had never dined there before, the waitress gave us a plenty of time to review the menu, and also gave suggestions on the most popular items. I ended up ordering the chicken and broccoli alfredo, and my mom ordered the lasagne.
When the food came, the plates were hot and the serving sizes weren't overwhleming, but just enough. My alfredo was SO good, and I tried my moms lasagne and hers was awesome too. I was definitely a member of the Clean Plate Club that day. It was so good. So good that I ended up ordering it again a few weeks later when I didn't feel like cooking for myself.
I would definitely recommend Angelo's to anyone who is looking for a casual place on Federal Hill to have a nice Italian meal. It is good for people of all ages, and great for families as well.

1  Thank Alexandra K
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Angelo's is a real find. This is authentic, delicious Italian food on Federal Hill in Providence without the high prices. I had chicken parmesan (without the cheeses - food allergy) and home made fettucini. The chicken was perfectly seasoned and cooked, and the pasta was delicious. Others in my party had the spaghetti Bolognese, the pasta with oil, garlic, black olives and anchovies, and also the meatballs and sausage. It was all great! My companions really enjoyed the San Gria. The waitress was very friendly and helpful, and she was open to changing things around with my food to accommodate my allergies. Angelo's is not a 'fine' restaurant, rather we felt like we were in a big Italian kitchen in someone's home with extended family. After the wonderful entries, we went for desserts including the lemoncella cake, chocolate torte with vanilla ice cream, and the pumpkin cheesecake. They were SO good.
So, I recommend this restaurant without hesitation. Maybe it's not the place for a first date or special occasion, but you'll be hard pressed to beat the food.