“Great Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo”

Angelo's Civita Farnese
Ranked #81 of 857 Restaurants in Providence
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stopped into Angelo's with my mom at the beginning of the school year to have an early dinner. I live on Federal Hill, and have walked past Angelo's many times and it always seems to be very busy.
At first, we had trouble finding the enterance to the building, so we ended up going through the "take out" door. After the fact we find out that the enterance is actually located in the back of the restaurant... Doesn't really make sense but thats okay. They just need better signs.
A young lady took us to our table, and she was also our waitress. The restaurant was very quiet at this time because it had just opened (only a dinner restaurant), and like I said, we had early dinner so we were one of the first customers of the day. I thought, "well that might be a good thing because the food will be extra fresh!"
The atmosphere of Angelo's is very homey. There are a lot of family pictures of the original owners, which I thought gave the place a nice touch. There is also a train that is suspended from the ceiling, but only runs when money is put into the machine (I think it's 50 cents or something), and all of the money is donated to a charity. I thought that was very nice and unique because I've never seen another restaurant do that before.
Our waitress took our drink orders and brought them to us fairly quickly. She also told us that she would bring some bread out, but it was finishing baking so it would be a few more minutes. And sure enough when she brought the bread it was soft and hot and it was really yummy. Since my mom and I had never dined there before, the waitress gave us a plenty of time to review the menu, and also gave suggestions on the most popular items. I ended up ordering the chicken and broccoli alfredo, and my mom ordered the lasagne.
When the food came, the plates were hot and the serving sizes weren't overwhleming, but just enough. My alfredo was SO good, and I tried my moms lasagne and hers was awesome too. I was definitely a member of the Clean Plate Club that day. It was so good. So good that I ended up ordering it again a few weeks later when I didn't feel like cooking for myself.
I would definitely recommend Angelo's to anyone who is looking for a casual place on Federal Hill to have a nice Italian meal. It is good for people of all ages, and great for families as well.

1  Thank Alexandra K

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Angelo's is a real find. This is authentic, delicious Italian food on Federal Hill in Providence without the high prices. I had chicken parmesan (without the cheeses - food allergy) and home made fettucini. The chicken was perfectly seasoned and cooked, and the pasta was delicious. Others in my party had the spaghetti Bolognese, the pasta with oil, garlic, black olives and anchovies, and also the meatballs and sausage. It was all great! My companions really enjoyed the San Gria. The waitress was very friendly and helpful, and she was open to changing things around with my food to accommodate my allergies. Angelo's is not a 'fine' restaurant, rather we felt like we were in a big Italian kitchen in someone's home with extended family. After the wonderful entries, we went for desserts including the lemoncella cake, chocolate torte with vanilla ice cream, and the pumpkin cheesecake. They were SO good.
So, I recommend this restaurant without hesitation. Maybe it's not the place for a first date or special occasion, but you'll be hard pressed to beat the food.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I dine quite a bit in Federal Hill, but have never been to Angelo's until now. To be honest, I only went there based on the recent "Diners and Dives" TV Show. Bad call. Another bad judgement call was eating on a Sunday afternoon. It's oddly quiet in the area on Sundays, as many places even close entirely. Street parking was oddly found everywhere we looked.

Our waitress needed lots of training on what 'not' to do... She was very pushy to get our order in... to later only find out so that she could eat her dinner right next table to us.
Awkward moment.
Our meals came out almost too quick... like they were pre-made and warmed up under the heater. The pasta was so overcooked, it broke into pieces as soon as I touched it.

I really can't think of anything positive that happened during the whole meal.
I can't believe I gave my money to these people, knowing that there are so many better places just doors down the street. All the desserts looked like they came right out of a frozen box. We had coffee and dessert elsewhere.

With all the great reviews, this place really deserves a second chance...
Based on what happened and my bad experience, I've set up some guidelines...
1.) Don't eat on Sundays
2.) Don't order any meal with wet, over boiled pasta
3.) Ask for a booth away from eating, very loud staff
4.) Make sure to get coffee and dessert elsewhere.

If I go by these rules, then maybe I can be as nice as all the other reviews.
For now, I will avoid Angelo's like the plague and send Guy Fieri my doggie bag.

1  Thank paul274Boston
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We flew in to Providence and headed directly to this restaurant. The food was good. Good place to bring the family and enjoy good food. Amy our server was so sweet and went thru the menu with us. Gave some really good recommendations. The homemade pasta was awesome. The Pizza was good. I recommend stopping by for a quick dinner.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

A group of us stopped in at Angelo's after flying over 6 hours. The interior reminds me more of a diner than an Italian restaurant, but the food was pretty good. Bread came out as an appetizer. I didn't find the bread extraordinary; it was tough and chewy and the butter was not exciting.

As a result, we ordered some cheesy bread instead, which was way better.
I had the Chicken Parmesan which was pretty good and very sizable. A good value for what I got.

My other friends had the lobster ravioli, baked ziti and pizza. They all said the food was pretty good and didn't have any complaints.