“Fantastic hot Chocolate”

Neighborhood: College Hill
Rhode Island
“Fantastic hot Chocolate”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

A friend raved about it so much I finally went with her. It's a sweet slice of a cafe style eatery. The food was very fresh, pretty and delicious. Sounds simple....but not always easy to find....And the place was spotless. I do not know what they did to make the hot chocolate but it's amazing.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank Wendyyork

Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Overpriced and Slow”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

The location and ambience are nice, but their prices and slow counter service are their downfall. Coffee and breakfast offerings are, at best, average in quality, and their sandwiches are disappointingly small. Be prepared to wait - not a place to go if you are in a hurry.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank mthom100
Corvallis, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious cupcakes”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Just had the carrot-cupcake. I have been trying all the sweets in Providence, I have visited at least 10 coffee shops and bakeries and Cafe Choklad wins!

Visited February 2012
MIdwest US
“Wish it had been more than just me so I could have tasted other menu items!”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I ducked into Cafe Choklad at one minute to closing. The place was empty and the staff was cleaning up. I walked to the counter and was greeted with genuine warmth and asked if I wanted to eat in or take out without giving any hint they were getting ready to go home.

I ordered (to go) the Caponata de la Plata which is roasted eggplant, onion, olives, capers, raisins, tomato, red pepper, cocoa and generous slices of fresh mozzarella on a ciabatta roll. It sounds like an odd combination but the complexity of the sweet/salty flavors was well-conceived and delicious. The cocoa was not a major note, so don't be afraid you're going to get chocolate-covered eggplant.

I was truly sorry I was alone because I would have liked to be able to try other intriguing menu items and the pastries or chocolates. There is outdoor seating a nearby park.

• Visited October 2011
Portland, Maine
“Hoping for better on my next visit”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I wound up here for breakfast two days in a row and had a pretty mixed experience overall. On my first visit, the two young women behind the counter and in the kitchen forgot about half our order. When I reminded one of them that I'd ordered a small cafe au lait, she brought me a large in a to-go cup despite the fact that I was sitting there with my family who were all eating at a table. Later, I was also not keen to realize that I drank two shots of espresso because she brought me the large. The next day I had a blueberry muffin, which was quite good. On that day, there were more staff in the kitchen and at the register. One of them, who I assume was a manager or an owner, was quite nice to my family and especially patient and attentive with my elderly father-in-law. Everyone said they enjoyed their meals, which consisted of muesli or egg sandwiches. I'd go back and hope the service is more consistent next time.

• Visited July 2011