“Would You Eat Sushi From A Dirty Restaurant?”

Tokyo Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #447 of 798 Restaurants in Providence
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Fox Point
boston
“Would You Eat Sushi From A Dirty Restaurant?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place is filthy. We stopped by for sushi with our kids and we were amazed at how dirty everything was -- the floor (take a look under the seats at the sushi bar...), the table, the plates, the plastic plants in the window. If the kids weren't set on sushi, we would have walked out. I made sure everyone ordered cooked sushi and hoped for the best. It was really revolting and we had two mistakes on our bill to add insult to injury.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank jk5t

“Best eggplant sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

Eggplant sushi is devine. Can't believe how awesome it is. You know when you share the big sushi boat and you try to make sure you get that last piece because its that good!!!

1 Thank trishsmu
Providence, Rhode Island
“So not worth it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our family of 5 went to Tokyo in Providence with a Restaurant.com coupon. My husband and I (Providence residents) used to go to this place all the time, maybe 10 years ago, but it has REALLY gone downhill since then.

The restaurant is sketchy. Dirty floors, dirty bathroom, smelly. We should have just walked out. Service was slow, the food was served in an odd order (one appetizer came after the main course), and we never got some of the food we ordered, even after I reminded the waiter. Several items on the menu were not in stock (like ALL the drinks that weren't bottled soda).

The food: chicken teriyaki is quite good, miso soup is good, noodle dishes are fine, tempura is fine. Some of the sushi rocks (futo maki, inari, and the wide variety in general) and some of it is not so good (tako was tonight's example). So, basically, if you can get the food you ordered, it's all right. Fingers crossed we don't get food poisoning.

Our bill for 5 people (kids 13, 9, 5) was a whopping $136. That is a fine bill for a swanky dinner for two on our anniversary, but not for a casual night out with the kiddies. Thank goodness we had a $50 Restaurant.com certif. We ordered quite a bit of food, but very few "extras" -- we split 2 sodas among the 5 of us, we skipped dessert, we shared 1 appetizer.

My last gripe is that with the Restaurant.com certificates, an 18% tip is supposed to be added on automatically. Well, they gave themselves a 20% tip, ON TOP OF THE TAX. And you know what? It worked. We were so tired of trying to communicate with the staff (language barriers) that we rolled our eyes, signed the check, and got out of there. We will not be going back.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank travelmama15
Boston, Massachusetts
“Services Stinks, Raw Fish mistreated. Unsanitary. Disgrace to Japanese Restaurants”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

My wife and I wanted to puke going through 6 different plates at the sushi bar. No waiter stopped to serve us a drink. Took our order on those fill out yourselves sheet of paper. Never served the food to us when the bell rings. I notice he will pick up our sushi, then pass it back to the sushi chef and then to us. It's like the sushi chef will touch anything and everything besides the raw fish and food to be prep. Raw fish was left in the open, unrefrigerated. One chef makes the rolls, and puts it on the side. The other, wil cut them into pieces and decorate the sushi on the plate. The rolls on the side was literally right on top of a cutting board. Think about all the hands that roll goes through before it goes into your mouth! Really made me and my wife sick when we got home. I WILL NEVER GO BACK. Disgrace to other Japanese restaurants, or any other restaurants, to see how these guys treat their food/product. YUCK!

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Wonno
Boston
“a good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

My wife and I went to the Tokyo because we had a resaurant.com coupon and "why not ?". I read a bunch of negative reviews and was somewhat hesitant but we had no problems at all. The service was attentive and polite. I ordered a mixed maki plate which included a soup. There were 18 pieces in the order and I could not eat all. My wife ordered a mixed tempura dinner which came with soup, an appitizer ( limited choice), a salad ( this was the only disappointemnt), and an ice cream.She did not like the tempura but I found it to be OK. We also ordered hot green tea which was refilled when the mug was low. Again, attentitive service which is contrary to some reviews. Without the coupon, I would say that the prices are reasonable with a good sized portion, an extensive menu, and the quality is good. Compared with the Asia Grill in Mansfield, this is a far better choice.

• Visited September 2011