“Not impressed--- crab shell in the sushi” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Providence Oyster Bar

Providence Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Providence Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 794 Restaurants in Providence
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups, Sushi
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Cross street: Broadway
Description: Located in historic Federal Hill, Providence Oyster Bar stands out as Rhode Island"s premiere seafood house. Upscale, yet casual, the Providence Oyster Bar welcomes you to be spoiled by the freshest selection of oysters and clams.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not impressed--- crab shell in the sushi”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

A few weeks ago I visited the lovely Federal Hill with a good friend of mine. We walked right in and were seated immediately. Everything was fine. We ordered out drinks and our meals and everything was going normally.

I decided to go with the California roll, the menu said they used real king crab so I could not pass it up. When it arrived, the plating was very nice and I would not wait to dig right in. This is where is all started to go downhill. Within the second piece of sushi, there was a huge piece of crab shell!! I gave it the benefit of the doubt and continued eating, but half way through the $16 roll I had already pulled 4 pieces of shell out of my mouth. I was still really craving the sushi so I just let the waitress know, I work in food and know how it is, I did not want to make a scene or make the waitress's life any more difficult. When I finally got her attention she was less than apologetic. Her response was, "Oh yes we use real crab, so sometimes a few pieces of shell can get in." I then showed her the 4 pieces and she hesitated before saying "I can let the sushi guy know and bring you a new one, i won't charge you for this one." That was all I was looking for! Absolutely not trying to get free food, just trying to enjoy my meal.

So the second roll comes out, and guess what. More shell!! I ate 2 pieces and that was enough for me. It was time for dessert, again I didn't want to ruin the meal so I just ordered. The waitress came around to clear our plates ( I still had the original roll and the new roll on the table) and asked if I wanted my leftovers wrapped up. She didn't bother asking if the new roll was any better or I would have told her. I did not take the leftovers home, I've had much better prepackaged grocery store sushi in my life.

We order dessert, delicious as expected. Then the bill comes out, and I was charged for the sushi roll. $40 night for solid drink and dessert, horrible sushi. There is zero excuse for even one piece of shell in a $16 roll of sushi, but numerous? I was shocked at the lack of concern by our waitress and lack of talent or attention by the sushi chef. It was a really get atmosphere, so I honestly will probably be returning eventually BUT I will never order any sushi. I cannot even imagine how the raw fish is taken care of after seeing how poorly the fancy king crab was. Terrible.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
F D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Oyster Bar, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
I was very sorry and disappointed to hear that you had this type of experience at our restaurant. Our food, atmosphere, and service are all things that we pride ourselves on so I thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. The entire management staff now has a copy of your review and will be looking for ways to resolve this issue immediately.

You did mention that you would most likely return, and I would like to encourage you to do so sooner than later. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope to see you back soon for a much more enjoyable experience.

“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great restaurant in Federal Hill. My dish was excellent - grilled scallops. Nice enjoyable date night with my husband. Great valet parking. Bar looked great. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
F D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Oyster Bar, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review about the Providence Oyster Bar! We greatly appreciate your feedback on our restaurant and the kind words you had to say. We pride ourselves not only on the quality of food we have to offer, but on the quality of our service as well - both of which keep many people returning weekly, if not more often. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you back very soon!
east greenwich, rhode island
“Inconsistent food and long wait for the food to arrive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Great dining concept, but every time I eat here I wait and wait for the food to arrive- sometimes I think they must be out catching the fish! The Chilean sea bass is always delicious and consistently good. The oysters and clams are wonderful and fresh. Lively bar scene all the time. Order carefully but be prepared to wait for the food to arrive.

Mendon, Massachusetts
“Someone knows what to do with food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was my third visit to the Providence Oyster Bar. Someone in the kitchen has a wonderful touch with food. The combinations are interesting and different which is usually either a really good thing or a really bad thing. In this case it is a really good thing. The fish is lovely and fresh and the presentation stellar. Fish is a hard thing to cook when there is a large party. Getting it all to the table at somewhat the same time provides challenges. Every thing arrived at close to the same time and cooked to perfection. Nothing was overdone. The Sushi is excellent. The staff was friendly and very efficient. As I said I have been to POB 3 times and it has earned a spot on our list of recommendations to our fellow food snobs. Enjoy.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
“Friendly Service, Fresh Oysters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I've been a few times, always opt to sit at the bar. Service is prompt. Bartenders are friendly and oyster-savvy. Good selection of fresh oysters from various locations.

• Visited November 2012