“The Clam Chowder is Fabulous!”

Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 819 Restaurants in Providence
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My daughter wanted Clam Chowder and I figured since we are in New England we should go to the best clam chowder served in town. And we did get served the best clam chowder at Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar.
We came back, more than twice, so that's how good it was. After Hemenway's there is no other clam chowder better than this, so why look, just keep coming back over and over! The busiest time to be there is during any Waterfire Festival.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day dinner so it was very busy. We heard the specials on the printed Valentine special menu were created by the new executive chef. I ordered the two pound poached lobster special and it was good but small--two claws looked right, then two more small claws (what?), and two really two small half tails. I thought two pound lobster meant one got a lobster, not various pieces. Oh well, the shrimp cocktail was delicious and my wife enjoyed her meal. She had two cocktails and I had two glasses of wine. Bill came and it listed three cocktails not two. Waitress corrected it. I am from New York and have had enough "mistakes" on bills to be cynical (they always seem to be high not low), so I have a suggestion of restaurants when this happens--take off the incorrect item and comp another one. That way, the customer doesn't leave with the impression that it might have been intentional with no downside to the restaurant if it's caught.

1  Thank JPS500
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Had a great meal of whole fried clams. They were light and flavorful. I live on cape cod, and these were the best I've had to date. My husband saw a mashed potato as part of a pork chop meal but didn't want the pork chop and they were more than happy to add the potato to his fish meal at no extra charge. Wonderful atmosphere, great accommodating staff. Would like to go during the day so I can see the city through the floor to ceiling windows. Another bonus, parking garage with valet is free for 3 hours... you don't see that often!

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

We had a great experience at Hemenway's. From the moment we walked in the door the service was excellent. The food was excellent from the first to the last bite. Great atmosphere as well. Highly recommend!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have not been to Hemenway's in a while, but had visited the restaurant regularly a few years ago. Kicked off the new year at Hemenway's and discovered that everything that was good about this restaurant was the same, good food, excellent service, good atmosphere. The calamari was very good as was the grilled salmon and stuffed shrimp. I prefer Hemenway's to Legal Seafood or Skipjack's - - just a better overall experience.