“Best Service EVER!!!”

Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 838 Restaurants in Providence
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This establishment is a bit pricey but well worth it for a special occasion or to pamper yourself for the evening. The food was delicious, but the service really stands out. The hostess seated us in a window seat with a beautiful view of the river. The waitress was extremely knowledgeable about the food and preparations as well as the types of oysters from the raw bar. In all the team of servers worked collectively to ensure that our glass was never empty, empty dishes were removed immediately, and the timing of the courses was perfection. The service was attentive but not intrusive. This was one of my top three dining experiences of all time. I will certainly stop by again when visiting this part of Rhode Island.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Would not return just not up to par for price for lunch looks out at river but no big deal could have made a better choice for lunch and saved some money

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I worked in Providence when I could only afford eating at the Haven Diner that pulled up beside City Hall in the evenings. They had great NY Weiners (no relation to Anthony!)...except, looking back, I don't know how we ever allowed that big Greek (I think...and no ethnic slur intended) behind the counter to stack those weiners five deep up his hairy arm while sloshing mustard all over them.

This is a roundabout way to say Providence has come a long way since those days in the 1960s when I was a copyboy at the local paper. Hemenway's is simply the best ("to die for," is the NYC expression). If you are within 75 miles of this place it's worth the trip. Be prepared to be relieved of about as much a that guy at the Haven Diner made in a week but it will be well worth it if you enjoy fresh seafood in an informally clubby atmosphere. The service is professional (some unemployed Brown grads, maybe) and it's at the foot of historic College Hill. Next parallel road above the restaurant is Benefit Street and worth a drive-by to see some authentic New England city homes.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We happened to be in the area for vacation and decided to make a day of Providence. As we were strolling along Main St we happened to talk to a lady walking her dogs. It was her recommendation we try Hemenways since it was 1/2 price raw bar! We love seafood, so we tried it. The guys at the oyster bar were amazing! Hand preparing fresh seafood.....thanks! And did I mention 1/2 off Mondays! Great value, fresh seafood, and amazing, refreshing drinks!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was in Providence, RI, for a genetic disorder medical conference and had heard some great reviews from Omni Hotel staff and taxi drivers; while in Providence go to Hemenway's for dinner.
The meal of Main Lobster and lobster bisque that I had was heavenly. The Pouilly Fuisse Chardonnay that I ordered to have with my feast was excellent. What a food/wine pairing!!!
Cody was my wait person and provided friendly conversation, info on the area, and photo ops for me around the restaurant.
The Providence Tourist Bureau should put Hemenway's on the Must Do list for the area!