“Scenic spot with yawning food”
Review of Waterman Grille

Waterman Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Waterman Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 814 Restaurants in Providence
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pittman
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We went for dinner as my daughter was visiting Brown University as a prospective student. I was looking for Coastal seafood. You may sit outside on the deck overlooking the river and the Crews rowing by, and birds flying by, very nice and relaxing. The food was unexciting Sysco supplied institutional food, nothing local, nothing inventive. Service was good and helpful, but the restaurant was strictly living on its location and nothing else. I would choose to find a more interesting spot in the area if I am in Providence again.

There are newer reviews for Waterman Grille

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were four for dinner on Saturday night. The service was excellent. The food was delicious, and our waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable. The view sitting outside on the river was also a plus. We will be back.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We ate here on a Tuesday, late summer night, the "we" consisting of my husband, two daughters, and I. First of all, I have to comment on the food because it was sooo good. We had the fried calamari, and it was just so tender and ... perfect! Probably the best we've ever had (and we order it a lot at restaurants). Hubby and I each had the Three Course Chef's Offering (only available Sun-Wed). For starters, he got the steamed PEI mussels, which were so good, he could've eaten more, but then he wouldn't have had room for the food that followed so in hindsight, it was a good thing he didn't have more. I got the Waterman Salad, which I enjoyed. One daughter ordered the calamari which I've already raved about. The other daughter just got something off the children's menu: fettuccini alfredo with grilled chicken. She didn't like it, maybe because it had a little smokey flavor but I thought it was very good, though a bit rich for me. For entrees, he got the linguini with Gulf shrimp and I got the Waterman steak. He loved his dish, especially the tender and flavorful shrimp. My steak was disappointingly tough though the accompanying mashed potatoes and spinach were excellent. When we mentioned to the manager about the steak, he apologized and said he'd take that off our bill. He did, too, even though it was through no fault of the chef (it was cooked properly: medium). Sometimes a piece of meat can just be this way, ya know? But the best restaurants aim to please, and this place falls in that category. They had removed my ENTIRE order from the bill! They aimed to please, and I was. Very pleased. For dessert, which we all shared, one of us had the sorbet (raspberry and lemon), served in a huge stainless steel ice cream dish. The portion was extremely generous. I ordered the flourless chocolate cake, which was very rich and chocolatey. I ended up bringing over half of it home so I could enjoy it the next day. It was just as yummy then.

Now I want to comment upon the service. You know the type of establishment that is mindful of your table without seeming to be so? Like if you get up to retrieve something from your car early on in your meal, and you come back to see that they've artfully re-folded your cloth napkin? Or when you need to escort your youngest daughter to the bathroom right before your meal is going to be served, and they hold off on serving your plate until you return? Or if part of the meal wasn't quite right, they take that off the bill? That's what this place was. It was truly 5-star service, through and through. Polite without being too chummy. Remembered everything you told them. Got the order correct. Handled everything beautifully.

Now about the view. The restaurant is located right on the river, and as we dined, the crew teams (from Brown University?) went by. There was plenty of free parking, too, and the cars have river views as well.

I would go here again in a heartbeat. Even our kids were impressed with the service and food.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were at Waterman Grille, again, this past Saturday on a beautiful summer night, eating outdoors on their lovely deck/porch with a beautiful view. We brought our in-laws (their first time there) and they loved it.

I had the mahi-mahi special and two of us split the salad special of the night - fresh heirloom tomatoes, some gorgonzola cheese and olive oil with a bit of basil, delicious! The mahi mahi was grilled just right and served with some chorico, corn. in a light tomato "sauce". Also terrific!
Fellow diners had the grilled salmon, the maple pork tenderloin and the Waterman steak. They all said their dishes were delicious.

One of us is allergic to shellfish and notified the waiter, who was very appreciate and thanked him for letting him know. A few minutes later the manager (?) approached the table just to check in to see if we had any other concerns and/or allergies. Very nice.

The service was terrific and polite and attentive without being overbearing.

We finished with two desserts,....the chocolate bread pudding and cookie monster. Both were great finishes to an already delicious meal!

The restaurant is a bit "out of the way", in that it isn't in "downtown" Providence, or near the Universities or theater. But it is only a 5 -10 minute drive from the theater, clubs, etc. And, is, in and of itself, worth the ride to the most eastern side of the city.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is our go to restaurant for a consistently good meal. There are certain things that are always on the menu and seasonal items, with lots of locally sourced food. Service is also great and the outdoor space overlooks the river. Faves on the menu are the lobster and corn fritters, burger, Mediterranean plate and any variation on short ribs.