“Unique Movie Experience”

Cable Car Cinema & Cafe
Ranked #3 of 8 Fun & Games in Providence
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy dinner and a movie at this unique theater.
WGRI
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Unique Movie Experience”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The theater is full of big shuffed chairs and couches (with cup holders). Seats have plenty of leg room - and you can just picture yourself taking a nap. The all-you-can-eat popcorn is a draw for me -- and it's popped continuously (not bagged and brought in) and you can add your own amount of SEA SALT. It's not to be missed. They also serve beer and wine. Ticket prices are reasonable and you don't feel like you're at a mall !

Visited May 2014
2 Thank DDRI

New Orleans
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“First date with future husband in 1979!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Cable Car was and is a great small and different cinema showing independent films for over 30 years. My husband and I had our first date here in 1978 seeing an Italian film called Bread and Chocolate which lost a lot of humor with its English translation. I remember telling my Joe what a good time I had watching it (NOT!!) because I did not want him misinterpreting my disappointment in the film as my thinking the date was lame. I really wanted to see him again! Several dates and a marriage of almost 34 years later, our love is strong and we still see an occasional film at the Cable Car!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Susan P
Providence, Rhode Island
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Go, soon!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The revamped Cable Car is sweet, the food is good and the film selections are varied and intriguing. It's not only a place for theater, but also for simply stopping by for food or drink.

Try it, you'll like it!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Betsy S
Providence, Rhode Island
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Thoughtfully curated, brilliant barista”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Italian woman who made my cappuccino is a genius. The films I saw here are art house all the way-- and the seating was comfortable. They ran a wonderful short at the top of the show, which is one of those old-school revival house touches I just love. There's a great deal of thought going into this place. Do the RISD students appreciate this gem? The older, cool customers seem to...

Visited February 2014
1 Thank RhodyCyrano
Ohio, Illinois
“Premier Cinema House”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I watched a few interesting movies at this popular cinema house that is not played in any other cinema. You can also buy an endless supply of popcorn. The theater plays movies in a single screen with comfortable couches where you can snuggle with a glass of beer or wine and enjoy the movies. I bought snacks and beverages from the cafe which were great tasting though a little expensive. I have watched interesting indie movies and documentaries. All the films are unique and the atmosphere is cool and peaceful so you can watch the movies without distraction. Its different from going to the regular movie theater. A fun place to watch lively and meaningful movies at a lower price.

Visited January 2014