“Great choice for a relaxing stay”

Christopher Dodge House
Ranked #1 of 5 Providence B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2009

A well equipped and yet relaxed B&B. The room was spacious, spotless and well furnished.
Plenty of parking for a city location. Convient for the city centre attractions.
Breakfast was great in a relaxed environment. Coffee/tea and snacks always available.
Friendly staff

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 26, 2008

Our room was clean. It had 1 king bed and 1 twin bed, both have a quilt on them. The furnishings are nice and homey. The bathroom is a decent size, but they really need to add a shelf on the wall to put your toiletries.
We had a room that faced the hwy, which is just a stones throw from the Inn, so don't expect your room to be quiet. Before the trees filled in a little there would have been a beautiful view of the State Capital!
The Inn is very nicely furnished with what appears to be reproduction period furniture. They did not do a good job on the floor or stairway. They put a Mulberry color in all the hallways throughout then a Dark Blue in our room. They did either refinish or put in new wood in the dining room and common room. The old main stairway used to be painted white but they stripped and refinished the treads, bannister and spindels. The stain is a shiny red color, it is quite ugly. They put a runner all the way up the stairs but they chose a blue design, which of course clashes with the Mulberry carpet and red wood on the stairs.
For breakfast there was a buffet set up with 1 kind of cereal, bowl of mixed fruit, coffee pound cake, english muffins, bagels, coffee, juice and water. We were then served a egg & herb frittata and bacon.
There is 1 thing that we found strange, they have the kitchen in the same room as the laundry, doesn't seem like that could be too sanitary. Since the Inn is run by staff the Office is located in the basement/main level and we can hear them down there when we are on the 1st floor but we never see them. They did say if we needed anything we were welcome to come down and ask.
We did feel deceived by their website, it says "The Inns (they have a sister Inn a block over) are convenient to Downtown, Brown University, Rhode Island School of Design, Johnson & Wales, Providence Place Mall and Waterplace Park; all are within walking distance. " NOT, the mall for example is 6.34 miles . Don't know about you, but I don't really say that's "walking distance". The Inns are not in very good areas, we were several blocks over last night (in our car thankfully), and there was a lot of graffiti and scary people wandering around. We've had to drive everywhere we wanted to go and we feel like we need to lock our car doors just to stay safe...
Other than the area we where in, we had a nice stay in this B&B. Not fantastic, but more than acceptable. We passed by the man who owns them in the hallway and he just looked at us and said "excuse me", never introduced himself or said hi. We knew it was him by the pictures in the front hallway of the renovations they did to the Inn.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2008

The house has been nicely renovated, but there is no outdoor accommodation such as garden or porch. We received a very warm welcome. Staff were all very friendly and helpful, and atmosphere was very relaxed. Our room was large, sunny , clean and comfortable, although a second armchair was have been appreciated as would a dressing table and mirror. There was some noise from the road, but we had no trouble sleeping. Breakfast was tasty and varied.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I've stayed at the Christopher-Dodge house with my girlfriend on two separate occasions. This quaint B&B reminds me of a simpler time when lodging was small-scale and run by nice families rather than the commercialized brands today. The wonderful place is a cozy, comfortable alternative to the staple hotels in Providence.

Their beds were incredibly large and comfortable; one of the rooms we stayed at even had a thermostat-controlled fireplace. The staff was very friendly. Most importantly, the kitchen made delicious breakfasts (there's was always fruit, coffee, OJ, etc...and a main entree such as French toast and sausage).

My only gripes are that the beds were quite noisy and it's not as near the Providence Mall as, say, the Biltmore or the Radisson. Then again, the 5-10 minute walk is not bad at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there the next time I'm in Providence.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chantaklaus
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My daughter and I stayed two nights at the beginning of our two week visit to look at colleges in R.I., Mass., and New York, and we stayed at the Christopher Dodge House for our final night before returning home.

We had a wonderful time, and the staff could not have been more accommodating, welcoming, or professional.

The breakfasts--all three--were superb. On our last morning, I relished the experience of enjoying the best blueberry pancakes of my life, and believe me....my mother set the bar high for that!! (Sorry, Mom!)

The location is in easy walking distance to the Providence Place Mall, and the staff will also provide suggestions for great eateries and other attractions in the Providence area.

I hope I will be able to return to Providence again with my husband so that he will understand my enthusiasm first-hand.

Stayed: June 2007
5  Thank JWaverley
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Christopher Dodge house has beautiful and spacious rooms. My room was equipped with a small but complete kitchen (stove, mini fridge, coffee maker) and a wonderful gas fireplace. The staff was very accomodating - made my reservation on pretty short notice for a stay during the holidays. I enjoyed my stay so much I didn't want to leave!

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank leopardx99
Reviewed June 25, 2007

We stayed at the Christopher Dodge House while visiting family during the Christmas season. The inn was warm, inviting, and nicely decorated for the holiday season. The room was large and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the breakfasts were good and served in a relaxed atmosphere. We enjoyed chatting with fellow guest during breakfast. It was also nice to have free wireless internet access during the stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple