“Comforts of Home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Christopher Dodge House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Christopher Dodge House
Ranked #1 of 5 Providence B&B and Inns
Rock Hall, MD
“Comforts of Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I just spent 4 nights at the beautiful Christopher Dodge House. Our room was large and very comfortable with a gas burning fireplace which added to the warm and homey atmosophere. We looked forward to breakfast every morning and couldn't wait to find out what Alynne had in store for us. She never disappointed. My favorite was the Finnish pancake with fresh fruit. We've stayed at B&B's all over the country and in Europe and this is by far one of the best. We highly recommend the Christopher Dodge House.

Room Tip: Room #5 was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bernadette N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
South Yarmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Spent two nights there recently. The staff were very attentive to our needs. The building was beautiful inside and provided avery warm feeling. The dining and common areas were very well appointed. I would reccomend the Dodge House very highly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Boston_1_Red_Sox_Fan
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I just spent the weekend in Providence and I have to say that staying at this B & B helped to make it a great weekend. While the location is slightly out of the way - it is worth it. The house decor, food and hopspitality was fantastic. I have stayed at many B & Bs throughout the world and this is one of the better ones I have stayed at in a long time. My room was great - simply decorated, yet had all of the amenities one needed and then some. Alynne's breakfast was fantastic. I want that recipe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JTChicago
WEST STOCKBRIDGE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Our first stay at this lovely BnB was very positive. Friendly staff, great location, and a super comfortable king bed. The breakfast room is really attractive, and the offerings are imaginative and varied. The fact that they accept barter customers is a great plus. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amesbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Enjoyed our third stay at the inn, this time with our 12-year old son in tow. Room was lovely, inn is centrally located, and breakfast and staff were wonderful. We look forward to returning again someday.mhughly recommend it!

Room Tip: Choose quiet side, farther from highway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Dont miss your chance to stay here. I knew the moment smiling Kate ( sincere smile, not that corporate hotel smile) opened the front door that the Christopher Dodge House was going to be a WINNER! The staff is attentive, friendly ( but not overly so) and you can just tell they are sincerely welcoming you and want you to have a great stay. Allyanne, a wonderfully joyfull young lady that I learned is the chef here ( professionally trained btw) took time to ask me exactly how I wanted my hot breakfast prepared. No banquet steam pans full of 'eggs from a box' ...no far from it. She not only took my order, individually prepared my wonderful breakfast and served it to me...but she made her way back to my seat by the cozy fireplace in the beautiful breakfast room to ask me if I enjoyed it. Further when I asked about the wonderful sauce that accompanied my fresh eggs and breakfast potatoes ... She took time to tell me about how to prepare such a sauce.
What a pleasure to stay at a beautiful B&B and be cared for by such sincere caring staff ... It is obvious that each of them love what they are doing here. STAFF: 5 stars

My room, first floor, number 4 , was simply beautiful. Every detail,carefully restored. My room featured a ' I'm not leaving here' canopy bed ' ( wish my wife had been here;) ) that was like sleeping on a cloud, a gorgeous fireplace of white marble, and a antique writing table perfectly situated in a three sided cove of 12 foot high windows overlooking the walkway and quite street below. Comfy chair next to the fireplace, which I sat in and enjoyed a great read until I fell asleep in it...and eventually made my way on to the cloud like canopy bed for a great nights sleep. I should mention as well that my room was on the side of the building closest to the highway and yet I never noticed any road noise. In fact I am only mentioning this because I read a review that said it was too noisy. Well, if you are coming here to practice pure transidental meditation... Okay... Sure you might miss one pin dropping.... But really, it is quite and peaceful.
Everything in my room worked....TV with cable, my medium mini fridge, shower etc etc. all great.
I travel a lot .... Like 3 million miles on American Airlines so far... And I fly all the airlines... And we world travelers need WiFi..... In fact we need great, high speed wifi...... OH JOY... They have it here! Uber, über WiFi... Netflix no problem..etc. CDH ( Christopher Dodge House) your WiFi rocks! The parking was easy, no charge, the common room was beautiful, filledwith baked goods, single serving fancy coffee makers,tea and more cookies...made fresh here at CDH... The entire place is right out of Architectual Digest Magaazine.
COMFORT and AMENITIES : 5 stars

I will keep this category short.... Cleanliness ...... Okay if you can get the place an cleaner and more well cared for you need your own show on HGTV. Immaculate and expertly cared for is how I would best describe the CDH.
CLEANLINESS: 5 stars

Location: right in the heart of things Providence. You are only a few minutes from downtown, you can see the State House from your window and Atwells Ave (restaurant row of Federal Hill) is a 3 minutes away. I dined at the Providence Oyster House on Atwells last night.... Oh yummy! The CDH staff is helpful with local knowledge, getting around, where to go for what etc. Oh, the train station is a five minute cab ride away and TF Green ( Providence RI) airport ) is 20 to 30 minutes away depending on what time of day.
LOCATION: 5 stars

Okay, this is easy....value......at 140 bucks..... Come on, I have paid more to stay in cookie cutter roadside brand hotels that can't even be considered for logical comparison to the CDH.
VALUE: 5 stars

OVERALL: 5 STARS
This is a rare find. That's why I titled my review don't miss your chance to stay here.
I tried to come up with something I didn't like...... No chance..... And probably the most
well deserved 5 STARS I have ever given. Congrats CDH... You won my Providence
stays for life.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast here it is amazing home cooking by a professional chef. If you are here for romance...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steven R
MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you take a cab from the train station as we did, and the driver drops you off at the end of the property, by the stairs going up to the front door, don't take them, as we did. Instead go to the office door on ground level under the front door. We missed this because it was night. All the staff were very nice, trying to accommodate us. One thing I missed was talking with the owner about personal recommendations for things to do and places to eat. There is a good leaflet book with use info in it, I just prefer get personal recommendations...probably difference between an inn and a B&B. This inn was nicely decorated, clean and our room was a good size. Because this is an old house the stairs are fairly steep and many. There is a ground floor, where the office is, the first floor where there is a dining room where a very good breakfast is served, a powder room and a living room, where beverages and home baked goodies are all day into the night. The actual rooms are on the second and third floors. Our room was on the third floor, and, although we live in a Victorian home with lots of stairs (my personal stair master), I was wishing we were on the second floor. Another warning is to not give up on the front door key; it does work, just with a lot of difficulty. From this inn we felt we were able to walk to most places in Providence. It is only about 4 blocks from the state Capitol. We walked to Brown University, college hill, the entire freedom walk (green line)' and RISD museum and its store, which offers great things designed by RISD students. Unfortunately, November is not a great time to visit Providence. The water activities and many tours were not available. We did get a good price on our room, though.

Room Tip: This place is not for those who have trouble with stairs. You may want to request a quiet room, si...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple