“Don't miss your chance to stay here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Christopher Dodge House

Christopher Dodge House
Ranked #1 of 5 Providence B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't miss your chance to stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Dont miss your chance to stay here. I knew the moment smiling Kate ( sincere smile, not that corporate hotel smile) opened the front door that the Christopher Dodge House was going to be a WINNER! The staff is attentive, friendly ( but not overly so) and you can just tell they are sincerely welcoming you and want you to have a great stay. Allyanne, a wonderfully joyfull young lady that I learned is the chef here ( professionally trained btw) took time to ask me exactly how I wanted my hot breakfast prepared. No banquet steam pans full of 'eggs from a box' ...no far from it. She not only took my order, individually prepared my wonderful breakfast and served it to me...but she made her way back to my seat by the cozy fireplace in the beautiful breakfast room to ask me if I enjoyed it. Further when I asked about the wonderful sauce that accompanied my fresh eggs and breakfast potatoes ... She took time to tell me about how to prepare such a sauce.
What a pleasure to stay at a beautiful B&B and be cared for by such sincere caring staff ... It is obvious that each of them love what they are doing here. STAFF: 5 stars

My room, first floor, number 4 , was simply beautiful. Every detail,carefully restored. My room featured a ' I'm not leaving here' canopy bed ' ( wish my wife had been here;) ) that was like sleeping on a cloud, a gorgeous fireplace of white marble, and a antique writing table perfectly situated in a three sided cove of 12 foot high windows overlooking the walkway and quite street below. Comfy chair next to the fireplace, which I sat in and enjoyed a great read until I fell asleep in it...and eventually made my way on to the cloud like canopy bed for a great nights sleep. I should mention as well that my room was on the side of the building closest to the highway and yet I never noticed any road noise. In fact I am only mentioning this because I read a review that said it was too noisy. Well, if you are coming here to practice pure transidental meditation... Okay... Sure you might miss one pin dropping.... But really, it is quite and peaceful.
Everything in my room worked....TV with cable, my medium mini fridge, shower etc etc. all great.
I travel a lot .... Like 3 million miles on American Airlines so far... And I fly all the airlines... And we world travelers need WiFi..... In fact we need great, high speed wifi...... OH JOY... They have it here! Uber, über WiFi... Netflix no problem..etc. CDH ( Christopher Dodge House) your WiFi rocks! The parking was easy, no charge, the common room was beautiful, filledwith baked goods, single serving fancy coffee makers,tea and more cookies...made fresh here at CDH... The entire place is right out of Architectual Digest Magaazine.
COMFORT and AMENITIES : 5 stars

I will keep this category short.... Cleanliness ...... Okay if you can get the place an cleaner and more well cared for you need your own show on HGTV. Immaculate and expertly cared for is how I would best describe the CDH.
CLEANLINESS: 5 stars

Location: right in the heart of things Providence. You are only a few minutes from downtown, you can see the State House from your window and Atwells Ave (restaurant row of Federal Hill) is a 3 minutes away. I dined at the Providence Oyster House on Atwells last night.... Oh yummy! The CDH staff is helpful with local knowledge, getting around, where to go for what etc. Oh, the train station is a five minute cab ride away and TF Green ( Providence RI) airport ) is 20 to 30 minutes away depending on what time of day.
LOCATION: 5 stars

Okay, this is easy....value......at 140 bucks..... Come on, I have paid more to stay in cookie cutter roadside brand hotels that can't even be considered for logical comparison to the CDH.
VALUE: 5 stars

OVERALL: 5 STARS
This is a rare find. That's why I titled my review don't miss your chance to stay here.
I tried to come up with something I didn't like...... No chance..... And probably the most
well deserved 5 STARS I have ever given. Congrats CDH... You won my Providence
stays for life.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast here it is amazing home cooking by a professional chef. If you are here for romance...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steven R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you take a cab from the train station as we did, and the driver drops you off at the end of the property, by the stairs going up to the front door, don't take them, as we did. Instead go to the office door on ground level under the front door. We missed this because it was night. All the staff were very nice, trying to accommodate us. One thing I missed was talking with the owner about personal recommendations for things to do and places to eat. There is a good leaflet book with use info in it, I just prefer get personal recommendations...probably difference between an inn and a B&B. This inn was nicely decorated, clean and our room was a good size. Because this is an old house the stairs are fairly steep and many. There is a ground floor, where the office is, the first floor where there is a dining room where a very good breakfast is served, a powder room and a living room, where beverages and home baked goodies are all day into the night. The actual rooms are on the second and third floors. Our room was on the third floor, and, although we live in a Victorian home with lots of stairs (my personal stair master), I was wishing we were on the second floor. Another warning is to not give up on the front door key; it does work, just with a lot of difficulty. From this inn we felt we were able to walk to most places in Providence. It is only about 4 blocks from the state Capitol. We walked to Brown University, college hill, the entire freedom walk (green line)' and RISD museum and its store, which offers great things designed by RISD students. Unfortunately, November is not a great time to visit Providence. The water activities and many tours were not available. We did get a good price on our room, though.

Room Tip: This place is not for those who have trouble with stairs. You may want to request a quiet room, si...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

We were warmly welcomed not to mention that the parcel I had delivered from amazon to the b n b was nicely waiting in our room. What a lovely spot. The room was quaint and double glazing meant that the interstate noise was almost unnoticeable. Breakfast was a lovely home cooked daily speciality served in the cute breakfast room. Then the sitting Room had tea and coffee and cakes in the afternoon at your leisure. The bed was super comfortable and huge and lovely 400 thread count sheets. All in all a great little spot despite being in a slightly funny area of town. We were driving anyway so did not matter. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thetravelling2
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 1 night while visiting Providence. We were in room G3 on the ground floor. We ran the window air conditioning unit while we were in our room and never noticed any outside noise or noise from within the building. We were pleased there was free parking. Our room was charming, cozy, comfortable and clean. I enjoyed the cookies and cakes throughout the Inn during the day. There is a computer with free access to the internet. We were able to print our boarding passes for our flight home free of charge. We had a short wait for a table at breakfast. There were breads, cereals and juice available right away, but they do come around and take individual orders for the hot breakfast. Being from the south I was amazed to find they were serving cheese grits. I never expected to find grits up north. I have never seen them formed into a triangle and shaped like a piece of pie before, but they tasted creamy and delicious! The Inn is close to the mall and Capitol building. We decided not to walk as we would be out after dark and you must cross under the highway and several bridges. We felt this was a great value and a wonderful place to stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful in answering all of our questions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rusky1415
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend get away to explore Providence and Rhode Island. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the coffee, tea, and baked goods were very good. The rooms were nice and large, and the bed comfortable (if a bit high off the floor). If you like to walk the B&B is in a fantastic location close to the state capital building and an easy downhill walk to shops, restaurants, and the cool architecture that makes up downtown Providence.

Our only issue was that our room was on the side of the house facing the highway (I-95), and there was really no sound insulation. At night it sounded like we heard every car and truck that went by. If you stay here, ask for a room NOT on the side of the building by the highway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank WLD73
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This was our second stay at the Christopher Dodge House. The first was in May 2012 for my son’s college graduation – and our family of 4 stayed in Room D9 – on the top floor. As others have noted – the Inn is next door to I-95 – so some road noise in inevitable. I use a “white noise” generator with my travel alarm clock – so the road noise didn’t bother us. The second stay (August 2012) was on the second floor in Room D5 (D9 was already booked). Both were fine rooms – clean and comfortable – but I like to stay on the top floor in case of noise from other guests in rooms above us. Fortunately – we didn’t hear anyone else on either trip.

One important comment – the air conditioning system is very unusual – and difficult to operate. Be sure to get the staff to show you how to operate it. Don’t wait until midnight – and then find that you can’t get the room temperature correct. During our second stay – we never got the unit to work properly – and it never cooled properly – but that is our fault for not checking this out before it was too late to ask for help.

The staff is very helpful – and the breakfast is very tasty. They have a small breakfast room – so get their early in order to get the best seating. Since the food is coming up from the basement – don’t be in a rush to get in and out of breakfast. Enjoy the coffee, teas and juices. The only real negative I have is that I wish that they had more private sitting areas - your room will be your best bet - aside from the small community/snack room on the first floor. Don't go here expecting a nice private sitting room.

The other reviewer’s comments on the location notwithstanding - I like the central location afforded by the Inn. Yes the neighborhood may perhaps be a bit dicey at night – but we never had any problems. In May, on a Friday evening – we walked 5 minutes around the corner to Temple restaurant in the historic Masonic Temple on Capitol Hill across the street from the State Capitol – very nice food and a wonderful setting. Providence Place mall is just another 5 minute walk down the same street – so the Inn is in a great location.

Even allowing for the many hotel options in the area – I will continue to stay at the Christopher Dodge House in the future. It is reasonably prices – nice staff – great breakfast – just bring your travel “white noise” generator for a relaxing night’s sleep.

Room Tip: Bring a "noise generator" to mask the Interstate road noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gateshead4
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed for four nights when visiting the area for a wedding. The staff are very friendly and helpful I wish they were like this everywhere we stay! The rooms are clean, spacious and nicely decorated. We stayed in room G3 which was a little dark and noisy at it was on the ground floor. Nice bathroom. Very soft fluffy towels. Comfortable and large bed. Pretty fireplace in our bedroom. Noisy air conditioning unit. Good location, but a little too near the busy freeway (we could really hear the traffic 24 hours a day). Breakfast was good, but get up early, don't leave it to the last 1/2 hour.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple