“Celebrate my wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Gondola

La Gondola
Ranked #1 of 14 Tours in Providence
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Providence from a new perspective! Benvenuto! We invite you to revel in the sights of the City from a unique vantage point that captures the heart of Providence. Enjoy an excursion along the Woonasquatucket and Providence Rivers and witness the revitalization of the City, river walks, and waterfront parks. Whether you are celebrating an anniversary or birthday, looking to propose to that special someone, or just on a vacation to the city, a gondola trip is a great way to make your visit to Providence memorable and unique. La Gondola operates three authentic Venetian gondolas along the Providence Riverwalk, accommodating up to six passengers at a time on each gondola. Reservations are highly recommended and are always exclusive to your party. We are open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Our season is from 1 May to 31 October, and of course trips are always subject to availability and the weather. La Gondola Providence: For Lovers, For Families, For Everyone.
Johnston, Rhode Island, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Celebrate my wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

The service I experienced at La Gondola exceeded my expectations...!!! Thanks to Alessandro our gondolier. Great singing ... If you are or going to visit the little State of Rhode Island.. This is a must

LaGondolaProv, Owner at La Gondola, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Javier C,

Thank you very much for posting this review; I will certainly pass along your compliments to my brother (Alessandro,) who has been one of our greatest and most entertaining gondoliers for six seasons now!

I truly appreciate your taking the time to leave us these comments; our goal is to provide an experience that is tailored completely to the people who we have on board, be it a couple celebrating their anniversary, a family on vacation from out of state, a few couples out on the town together, or anybody else. I hope that we get to see you again along the Riverwalk sometime soon, but in any case, tante grazie for your support of us!

Ciao,

• Korean first
Smithfield, Rhode Island
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Grazie Mille”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

For the past three summers, ever since we started dating, my wife Claudia and I have celebrated her July birthday with a Providence weekend. Typically this involves staying at one of the city's fine hotels, enjoying a delicious meal at one of its many restaurants, and strolling the river during Waterfire. Since there was no Waterfire scheduled on this year's birthday weekend, I was looking for a different way to surprise her and make her night even more special. We had always enjoyed watching the gondolas traverse the rivers and it always reminded me of my two visits to Venice. I knew she would truly enjoy this and thought it would be that much for enjoyable on a non-Waterfire weekend. So I booked a 10:00 pm ride which would give us plenty of time after dinner on Federal Hill to stroll Waterplace Park and the river. Claudia commented on the gondola when she saw it pass by, so I nonchalantly suggested we walk to the other side of the river, and we ended up at the La Gondola landing. Marcello approached us and asked if we had a reservation, to which my wife quickly said, "Oh no". When I said we had a 10:00 reservation but were a few minutes early, Claudia was convinced I was joking and was ecstatic when she learned I wasn't. She had already had a fantastic birthday but this put a smile on her face like I'd never seen, and she smiles a lot. What a treat it was to kick back and relax with some complimentary wine biscuits and just enjoy a beautiful summer night from a unique perspective. What I appreciated was the fact that Marcello will engage in conversation as little or as much as you like and always waits for your lead. He'll gladly share information on Providence history, discuss his team's recent trip to Venice, and we found him to be very sincere and humble. And yes, he serenaded us with a few lovely Italian songs under various bridges where the acoustics were particularly exceptional, and it as all done very tastefully. I particularly appreciated him singing "Happy Birthday" in Italian to Claudia as a final touch to the ride. We hated to see the 40 minute ride come to an end as we enjoyed it immensely. As others have said, the experience exceeded our expectations and was the icing on my wife's birthday cake. Thank you to all for making an even more special weekend.

LaGondolaProv, Owner at La Gondola, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Chris A,

Thank you so much for posting this amazing review; it was such a pleasure meeting you that evening, and this review allowed one of the other gondoliers and I to remember what a joy the trip was for us as well. From beginning to end, I had a wonderful time interacting with you and Claudia; your perspective on life is a great lesson for us all to keep in mind, and it is these kinds of interactions that make my job the best one (for me) in the world.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share these thoughts, not just so that other people will hopefully come to visit us because of them, but also because it put a smile on my face today, and triggered a very happy memory of mine. I do hope that we will see you two again one day on the river; if you are ever down in Providence near the dock from May-October, please do drop by and say hello. It would be so nice to see you two again.

Grazie e ciao,
New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We're engaged!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

His perspective:
The service I experienced at La Gondola exceeded my expectations. From the moment my now fiancée mentioned she had found this place and read their awesome reviews, I knew that this is where I was going to pop the question of all questions…”Will you MARRY ME”? What I didn’t know was that they would go above and beyond to make this not only a special day, but an extraordinary one for my fiancée as well as for myself. My Fiancée made the reservation for the gondola ride and I later contacted them to ask for assistance in making the proposal go smoothly, I was pleased when she gave me the e-mail address so I could contact them in regards to my plans. I spoke with them via e-mail a couple of times, then followed up with a few telephone conversations to set my plan in motion. The edgy feeling from trying to make this perfect was now wearing off…for now! The day we drove in from New York City we got into Providence a tad bit early so we were able to check into the hotel earlier than expected. I told Marcello that I was trying to get my fiancée to change the time to a later time slot but she was giving me some problems and without another word from me he had Matthew called her and made it seem as if it was La Gondola’s suggestion. The arrival time was perfect, it was much cooler in the evening but nowhere near dark. We were greeted by the rest of the guys and it seemed as if I already knew them. They all were so very pleasant and courteous. Marcello did a wonderful job explaining the history of Providence, Rhode Island. Once we set sail the journey really came to life. Surprisingly we were serenaded with a few Italian songs; not once, not twice…but three times! We got what seemed like a very authentic love song, a duet when another couple passed underneath the same bridge as us with their gondolier, and because our birthdays are a day apart we were also graced with an Italian version of happy birthday. Again, the service was above and beyond my expectations. If this is any reflection of the kind of experience we would get in Italy on a gondola… then, Italy here we come. I have only one complaint… and that is that this should be closer to NYC so I could go more often in the future. Thank you for a wonderful experience and a memorable day guys.

Her perspective:
My Fiancée and I started planning our Rhode Island adventure as a b-day getaway since our birthdays are only a day apart. It was to be our first away trip together as a couple. I discovered La Gondola on groupon.com while searching for activities to engage in while on our trip. I am a complete review junkie! I don’t do anything without reading a review first. I was astounded when I read their five star reviews on trip advisor. After a little more research I was convinced that we had to check out WaterFire while in Providence. My first telephone conversation with Marcello was surreal; it was like I already knew him. I remember him being so humble when I stated that the reviews his establishment received is what convinced me to try his services. From my experience it is not often that a business gets rated five stars by every reviewer. The professionalism of this business is remarkable. Marcello made booking effortless. I explained that I had read the reviews and was excited about seeing WaterFire up close and personal. Marcello suggested that if we wanted a truly unique and romantic experience that we should consider taking the tour before WaterFire since it can become very loud and overcrowded. Needless to say, WaterFire was postponed to the following weekend. This didn’t affect us much since Marcello had convinced us to book the regular gondola experience anyhow. It was everything I imagined and more…my fiancée and I watch the travel channel often and while I have never been to Venice I had a pretty good idea what this experience would entail. From the time we arrived at La Gondola Landing I had butterflies, not because I suspected anything but from the anticipation of putting the whole trip together and seeing it come to fruition. The guys have done an exceptional job of recreating Italy right here in the United States, everything from the identical apparel to the authentic gondolas that were brought over in three pieces and seamlessly put back together. All we did was arrive with a bottle of wine and true to their word they catered to us immensely. Our wine was chilled, we were served complimentary pastries and we were off…as my fiancée describes in his perspective, the day was remarkable. From the history of Providence to the scenic views, I can’t imagine a more romantic way to say goodbye to being single and take on the promise of commitment to another being. While I know my fiancée thought long, hard and aimlessly agonized over every detail, I must thank the gentleman of La Gondola Landing for assisting him with making this a remarkable engagement for me. We are both extremely grateful for their dedication to their patrons and look forward to seeing them next year for the WaterFire experience. They really enjoy what they do!

LaGondolaProv, Owner at La Gondola, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Miss Enchanting;

There is really nothing more I could add to this review of yours. Thank you so much; it was such a pleasure meeting you two, and helping plan things out along the way, and finally taking the much-anticipated trip. I greatly appreciate your compliments, and taking the time to share them here. Thank you also for posting the photos - Marcello the Great - I wonder if that will catch on?! I'll have to drop some hints to the other gondoliers...I loved the one of the ring too. I hope to see you again someday, but whether we do or don't meet again, I wish you two a lifetime of love, happiness, and romance.

Tante grazie,
Middletown, New Jersey, United States
“Beautiful Experience for the whole family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We truly enjoyed the ride and singing. A unique way to enjoy Providence. Everyone was great and attentive. Highly recommended.

LaGondolaProv, Owner at La Gondola, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear KirilRobyn G,

Thank you so much for taking a moment to write this review of us. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your trip, and that our whole staff was as attentive, entertaining, and respectful as I hope that they always are. I hope to see you again on the water if you ever take another trip to our wonderful city!

Grazie e ciao,
River Edge NJ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A Little Slice of Venice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just had a wonderful Gondola tour for my girlfriends birthday and we both loved it. Our gondolier and new friend Marcello was the perfect guide and had an amazing singing voice. Rosy loved having Happy Birthday sung to her in Italian. We were treated to delicious Bellini, chocolates and biscuits, and the ride was totally enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone who's going to be in the Providence area. Thank you again folks for making it a wonderful day for both of us.

LaGondolaProv, Owner at La Gondola, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Joe_Mc1961,

Thank you so much for everything you two have done to help spread the word about us! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to post this review, as well as Rosy's photos on our Facebook page. It was such a pleasure, the whole experience from beginning to end, from talking with her initially to finally taking the trip and in the aftermath.

I thank you again for posting some photos here as well; tante grazie, my new friends; I am thrilled that the experience was what you hoped it would be, and hopefully we will see you in Providence again for one of Rosy's future birthdays!

Ciao,
La Gondola Providence, Inc.

Been to La Gondola? Share your experiences!