“Very commercial Korean, decent sushi”

Sura Korean Restaurant Sushi & Bar
Ranked #113 of 819 Restaurants in Providence
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Providence
Reviewed April 25, 2013

First bites was impressive. But halfway through, we realized it was very "commercial". Very salty, tasted like it food was made with prepared sauces. If you are new to Korean food, you are probably impressed. But if you are Korean or know your Korean food, sun and moon remains most authentic.

Serving only 3 banchan seems to be a providence thing. The 3 side dishes here taste like store bought.

Overall, sushi and Japanese selections give more options, we only ordered salmon sashimi to benchmark them. Not bad, fresh, good cut size, etc. will come back for more sushi in future.

Atmosphere and service is wonderful. I find it funny that one waitress was polishing glasses, a waiter standing in front of the cash register doing nothing, while the lady who looks like the manager or owner is serving diners...

We will try this place again to check consistency and other dishes. But for now, only 3 stars. Not horrible, but nothing to brag about.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

When I first started school in Providence last year, I was excited to find out that there is a Korean restaurant just a block away because I'm Korean and I knew I would crave Korean food. And to be honest, at first, I didn't notice how horrible the food is there because I was so excited about starting school. But eventually (after the 2nd or 3rd visit), I realized that their food was probably the worst Korean food I have ever tasted.

Pick anything on their menu and it will either be extremely bland or extremely salty. And if by some miracle the dish you ordered is good, don't expect it to be good the next time. Their dishes are ALWAYS inconsistent. And if you complain about the taste, they will bring it back to the kitchen and bring out the same exact thing and tell you they fixed it. One time when I went with my roommate's family, her mother complained about her food being too salty and when it came back from the kitchen, it was saltier. We didn't even get the bill yet and her parents told us they are never coming back to Sura. The sushi is definitely not fresh. When I ordered sushi, it was a little too warm. Their kimchi is gross, as is the other side dishes.

I don't think you should be paying as much as you do for the food. It's not worth the price AT ALL. For the same prices, I could get quality food at Teriyaki House across the street. I also heard from several people that they just heat up frozen soup and meat and serve that up. Personally, I don't think they do but it's good to know these things I think.

The waitresses are usually very friendly and I really don't have an issue with them. But once, my friend and I were being served by a waitress I didn't recognize. She was nice, but she hadn't given us any utensils, took forever to come over to our table and take our order, and gave us our bill literally as our entrees came out. We hadn't even taken a bite and she brought out our bill. We found that extremely rude especially because she left it open on our table and walked away.

One thing I do like is their atmosphere. It's very modern and they have really cool decorations. But they have too many seats for such a small space. They cram the seats all in together, so it's very awkward trying to sit down, especially the seats by the wall. I've had people's bags hit me in the face when they tried to sit down or leave. It's also does not give you any privacy because everyone can hear you wherever you sit.

Overall, Sura literally is the worst Korean restaurant in Providence. Don't bother with it, and just go to Teriyaki House across the street.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I were in Providence to see a play, and wanted to a nice dinner before the show. Upon doing some research we found Sura and decided to give it a try.( Now before I go any further i must say I am not Asian ). I must say this is one of the best Authentic tasting food I've had in a while. The menu consist of several choices of Korean, Japanese, and Sushi. We ate from the Korean Menu as it was our first time trying it. The food looked and tasted fresh, and came out hot not frozen like some places I tried in the past. We were promptly created when we walk in, and staff made us feel appreciated. Staff groomed well and attire was professional. This is not a place to go if you looking to romance someone, but if you just looking for a night out, or a family dinner this is your place. Location is nice. I felt like we had a bucks worth of food. You get 3 (small plates) appetizers. The only thing i didn't like was that there is only one dessert option which is ice cream. We are dessert people, so we were looking for more choices. Other than that the place is a thumbs for us. Hope you enjoy.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We always go to Sun and Moon for Korean food and have always been very satisfied, but alway drove by this place and said we should try it. So we finally went and was very happy we did. The menu is quite extensive, including Japanese/Sushi along with traditional Korean food. The kimchi was delicious as well as the other appetizer samples placed on the table. We did sushi/sashimi appetizers and korean food for our entrees. All was great. My husband ordered BBQ pork and it was very spicy. You can also order it non-spicy. Complimentary fresh fruit was offered with the check. The staff is very friendly and helpful with the menu as they have a nice variety of rice wines along with sakes.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Service was very nice, but can't judge much since it was a slow Sunday in summer.
Food was alright considering the location. It was nice they have the 3 kinds of free appetizers (bean sprouts, broccoli and kimchi), but if you have been to a really good authentic Korean restaurant, like the ones I had in Los Angeles, you would know this is BAD and expensive. I used to have 7 to 8 free appetizer dishes that comes with any order. The choice of the menu was also small, judging by Korean standard (though I'm not Korean). Taste of food was not bad, but not too impressive either. That's why I'm saying, for the location, ok, but if you are Asian and have good food you can get somewhere else, you'll probably be disappointed.