“So good!”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fox Point
Description: telephone #401-273-9760Fodor's choice star rating
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner here on a Wednesday night and it was busy! The pizza is so thin, so buttery and so crispy! So good! Every dish we had was excellent. Portion sizes are perfect...not too much but not tiny either. Our dessert orders were taken early with our meal order...they make them really fresh! We had the Grand cookie Finale and it was warm and super delicious! I had the handmade beef short rib ravioli and that was so comforting and so good. Can't wait to go back and try something else!

1  Thank Jolene H

Reviewed March 25, 2014

As usual one of the best restaurants. The service was great always refreshing silverware, water and dirty plates. The food was hot, tasty and appealing. It is expensive but only on appetizer and dessert prices the entree's are high but what you would expect. We got here at 6pm and they said 1.5 hours a table opened up in 45 minutes. Oh yeah professional bartenders using fresh ingrediants

Reviewed March 22, 2014

The last time I ate at Al Forno was well over 10 years ago. Well, guess what? The menu (except for the prices) has not changed AND what is offered is no longer very exciting. I met a friend here for grass salad and a pizza -- our standbys. Grass salad looked and tasted like iceberg lettuce (but it was actually wilting stems from romaine) with very few chunks of delicious blue cheese with a vinegarette that tasted the same as the dressing my ancestors used when they pickled cabbage in Russia. Huge disappointment. We got the calamari pizza. It was an order of fried calamari served on top of Al Forno pizza. Nothing very creative. It was my birthday so my friend thought it would be great to have the chocolate cake. It was dry, heavy old-school flourless chocolate cake. How boring! I remember when flourless chocolate cake was "cool" and "in" BUT that was in the 90s! The bread and olive oil served before dinner were tasteless. I know that once upon a time, Al Forno breathed new life into Providence's restaurant scene. Thank you for doing that. Eating at Al Forno now feels the same as going to Woody Allen films now -- what struck me as innovative 30 years ago now seems to be on auto play.

2  Thank evect
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Alfornos has been written up in some of the best magazines about food and it lives up to the hype. No matter what you order...the $20 pizza must make the list...it is worth the heft price. Pasta might reign supreme, but they treat seafood as it should be treated...dressed simply and the food itself shines. Desserts must be ordered with dinner...commit to it and you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have lived in Providence for almost 20 years and Al Forno has always been one of my favorite places to dine. It used to be one of the only places that you could get a five star meal but thankfully there are many more choices now. Reservations are only taken for parties of 6 or more so if you have a smaller party, be prepared to wait. The bar area is small but quite cozy and very friendly. The restaurant itself is rather small and always full of locals as well as those who are visiting from out of town. It is rare to dine here and not see someone of celebrity status.no worries about parking as there is on site valet. There is outdoor dining in the summer which adds to the ambiance. Wonderful food, professional staff, fabulous wine selection. A real gem in Providence,