“Was not What I expected”
Review of XO Cafe

XO Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
XO Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #200 of 827 Restaurants in Providence
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Providence
Cross street: Charles Street
Description: XO Cafe, a brasserie and bar offering a casual twist on classic French cooking. Our comfortable design invites guests to relax and unwind as they savor simple yet elegant food that features ingredients prepared in classic French style, perfect for a special occasion or a quiet night out. Lively bar scene on weekend nights.
Reviewed May 23, 2012

In all fairness I went one time, and was their for dancing and drinking. But I found it to have crappy speakers , weird lighting and the crowd was not my cup of tea. Lastly, I spent about 20 min. to get a drink. I am pretty realistic about these things, but this place was not that happening, and the bar tenders seemed to serve friends over newbies like me. This is coming from a waitress/bartender...so it must have been bad for me to mention it. YUCK

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I think this place is confused about what it is! Nice bistro atmosphere but fine dining prices and portions -- and they need more staff - this is the bad side of a low-wage tip dependent culture, staff will prefer to work with less people to make more tips & so the service (ie customer) suffers-- my poor waiter was running ragged but I sat through appetizer with no silverware or napkin...will come again for a drink at bar but not to eat

Reviewed April 1, 2012

XO was once called the 'hippest restaurant' in Providence. We're glad to have it back, this time with the farm to table philosophy that has grown in this community. Close to downtown it's a good choice for a very good meal.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

We're so glad that XO has returned. We know it will be worth a visit.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Went for "no whine Monday" for 1/2 off a bottle of lovely, dry Pouilly-Fume. it turned out to be a perfect companion to the meal:. nice roasted beet and goat cheese salad, tuna nachos made with wontons and corn relish(heaped it on bread couldn't waste it), perfect spinach and mushroom ravioli with truffle cream(thank goodness for bread to mop up every drop), totally yummy mushroom soup drizzled with truffle oil(earthy,not creamy like the canned stuff at all! wonderful texture), carmelized bomster scallops with butternut squash risotto(good flavors, I would prefer the scallops a little less cooked and the risotto a little more cooked), dare I say it better than Mom's meatloaf with blue cheese glaze, mashed potatoes and perfectly sauteed green beans. Loved the palate clearing mango sorbet, and for a chocophile, the study in chocolate was pure bliss--white chocolate creme brulee with the perfect crackle, house made chocolate ice cream that I swear was a truffle transformed(better than tartufo), frozen chocolate mousse, cranberry chocolate fudge and pecan chocolate brownies(took these to go!!) Loved the ambience, sat in the dining room by the window, and our server James was perfect.