“Lovely hotel - avoid the restaurant”

Providence Marriott Downtown
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Prato
“Lovely hotel - avoid the restaurant”
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I am probably a little biased since I cam to the Marriott after months staying in hostels (Providence doesn't have one).
Just one tip if you're arriving by public transport - make sure you get a taxi. i opted to walk (being on a budget) and it was a hot, gruelling, uphill struggle.
The staff were friendly and helpful, having no problem letting me check in before the allocated time.
The room was spacious, comfortable, well-cleaned and stocked.
The pool area was clean and pleasant.
The location wasn't particularly central but I was able to walk (now without luggage) anywhere i wanted to go. It was particularly handy for the "Lovecraft Trail" which was what I was there to see.
My big problem was with the restaurant. The menu was extremely restricted and what I had was bland, I would go so far as to say tasteless, and overpriced.
If you eat out I would highly recommend this for the bargain price I paid.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Sorsha
HotelManagerMJ, Owner Representative at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
Thank you for submitting your post about the Providence Marriott Downtown. It is always great to hear positive feedback about our hotel and our associates. We make a point of delivering superior guest experiences and creating memorable moments for our guests. We apologize for your experience at our restaurant. We typically receive excellent reviews and hope you will return so that we can deliver to you an exceptional dining experience. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope you will return to the Providence Marriott Downtown the next time you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
St. Barthelemy
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Big disappointment based on other reviews. This is an older Marriott that has not been upgraded in decades. The carpet, linens and wall treatments are newer, but the style of the rooms and hallways are very dated. If I wasn't traveling with teens, I would have definately switched to another hotel in Providence. Local transportation was provided by a free shuttle, but the return trip from the mall was a nightmare. It took almost an hour to get a ride back to the hotel after several calls to the front desk.

Positves: Location, friendly front desk staff
Negatives: Cleanliness of rooms, only one computer in business center, old style infrastructure

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Goshen, CT
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Can't complain - clean room, comfy bed, free parking, and close to downtown Providence. Check-in clerk was very courteous and efficient. Somewhat noisy, but I think that was just a drunk college kid pranking his friends, not the hotel's fault and it settled down quickly. Price was great, only $109 on orbitz (1st time I've seen orbitz beat the hotel's own price) for a room with king bed. We only checked in and checked out so can't comment on amenities. This was our 2nd stay here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I love this hotel so much that whenever I'm in town, I always stay here. Clean, well-appointed rooms with comfy beds; bath towels that are bigger than wash cloths; and a hair-dryer not connected to the wall! (Someone must trust their guests.) Downstairs, are a nice size gym with plenty of cardio equipment, free weights, and several weight machines; a restaurant that has delicious breakfast choices; and both indoor and outdoor pools. The hotel offers cute little bartending classes or food samples/talks with the chef during the traditional happy hour time, which is a nice addition to a hoteI that's not in a typical tourist/resort destiation. In addition, I believe this is the only hotel in downtown Providence that has complimentary parking. Quick access to 95 and the heart of downtown, I totally recommend this place!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank elliot8814
New England
Reviewed February 15, 2009

We chose this hotel since it was in close proximity to downtown and was a bit less expensive than other hotels in Providence. Free parking was a plus for this hotel, which is rare for downtown Providence. This is an older Marriott that has some renovations, but overall the guestrooms need more updating. Room was clean as expected in a Marriott. Beds were comfortable. The Heating/AC unit is the older version box that is not centralized. Average 25" or 27" television, not the upgraded flat screens that you may find in other hotels. There is a refrigerator in room which was good. Guest bathroom is small and tub/shower definitely needs upgrading. Another plus was that Marriott was offering free breakfast for two during our weekend and was very good. There is a restaurant and bar downstairs which had a good atmosphere. Also, there is a gift shop downstairs. Indoor pool is nice and there is a business center to use the computers for free. Downside, this hotel charges $9.95 per day usage of in room high speed internet access. Lobby was nice and offered free hot apple cider for guests. Only about 7 miles away from Twin Rivers Casino and less than 2 miles from Providence Place Mall.

• Liked — Free parking and breakfast
  • Disliked — Bathroom and Heating system
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BigTimeTravelers
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I have stayed here on a weekly basis for almost 1 yr as part of my official travel.
The hotel is excellent to relax after a tough day in office. The reception folks are really cordial and nice and always greet you with a smile which is unlike the Hilton in providence. Special mention should be made of Katlyn who has gone out of her way to accommodate any requests.
Being a platinum member, I always managed to get a room on the 5th and 6th floors. The rooms are nice if not spacious but enough for a business traveler to relax. Faced few issues with the air conditioner couple of times when they were renovating but the hotel staff went out of their way to fix the problem immediately.
The lounge service is nice and a very good place to start your day with a breakfast or relax in the evening. They have a Manager's day on Wednesday evening when you can have a free drink.
Have tried out their room service and as always the staff and the food were good. The restaurant was good though the menu might need a bit of overhaul in terms of choices.
Overall this is an excellent place to stay if anybody is coming to Providence.

• Liked — Hotel Staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank swarnadeep
Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed November 13, 2008

I stayed here with my 2 daughters on an AAA package deal, for 2 nights, at $144 a night with 2 buffet breakfasts included. I found the front desk staff very friendly and helpful, especially Katie. The hot apple cider for free was also very good.

Our room was very comfortable, and clean. It had 2 double size beds, a small refrigerator a decent TV and plenty of space. My only complaint was that I felt the bathroom was on the very small side.

For us, the location was fine, because I knew we would only be driving and werent interested in being close to any walking attractions. It is true that the bordering neighborhood could be considered questionable, but that is across the highway and you would only have to drive through it to get to the entrance ramp.

There did also seem to be quite a few young people sport teams there and my daughter witnessed someone at the counter complaining about the kids being very noisy in the halls at 11 at night. They must have been several floors away from us, because I heard no such noise.

The pool area, while we did not use it, looked like it could be a very nice attraction, its indoor/outdoor and the outdoor area was very nicley furnished.

All in all, I was very pleased here and also very happy that we did not have to pay for parking/

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family