“Great service, catering & hospitality!”

Providence Marriott Downtown
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Manalapan, New Jersey
“Great service, catering & hospitality!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Well organized staff with a great sense of service and hospitality...catering and party/conference room needs were well met!!! The catering and corporate sales staff were very attentive and well organized..we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear GAdamo,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Providence Marriott Downtown after your event. I will share your review with the whole hotel team. We're so pleased you had such a wonderful event and our team looks forward to helping you plan your next one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
aperry
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really would have gave this hotel 2 stars but the staff was so friendly they have made up for all the downfalls.
PROS:
The staff! Jonathan, Roland and Sarah at the front desk! They were so friendly and this hotel is very lucky to have such wonderful people at the front desk. You don't find that very often. Also, Annie at the restaurant was very sweet! When she saw us at the pool the next day she came over to see my daughter. Autumn was our waitress at the pool both days and was working her tail off! Very friendly.

The scene.. The pool scene was great during the day. (If you can find a chair) Saturday there was a 2 piece band playing. My daughter loved it!

Breakfast.. They have a very nice continental breakfast and since we are Marriott gold it was free both days. There was a lot to choose from!

Fridge in room! Great when traveling with a child.

CONS:
Where do I start?
They do have free parking which is great but both nights when we got back to the room around 8 there were no spots. We drove around and around the lot for a good 10 minutes til we were able to find someone leaving.

The room.. Very small and outdated. Needs a facelift! We had a room poolside and the track for the sliding glass door was filled with little dead bugs. I found this out because my one year old handed one to me! I called housekeeping 3 times through out the day to have them clean it up and finally the manger of housekeeping came and I had to physically show him the bugs. He didn't seem apologetic at all. Just said.. Ohhhh these bugs? Oh ok we will clean it up. The toilet was also a little sticky. I used my one hand and face wipes to clean it up.

The first night there was a dog barking like crazy in the room next to us, I have stayed in many pet friendly hotels and usually they don't put guests with pets next to guests without.

Because we were next to the pool which is open til 11 it does get pretty loud at night. That I was ok with, it was the people outside my door smoking pot I was not ok with, my room was filled with the smell.

The pool.... was very pretty but when we were swimming in it we found a plastic knife, 2 band-aids, pizza crust and lots of bugs. They should have someone clean it in the morning and through out the day.

I probably would not have returned back to this hotel, but Sarah was fabulous when we checked out and gave us a free night which was not expected. So because of that we will give it a try when we come back to Providence.

Room Tip: We got a poolside room, easy access to pool but also loud at night and you can't lock your room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear aperry79,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your detailed feedback about your stay. While you had quite a list of issues, I am pleased with the positive points you identified - especially our associates. Our objective is to make your travel experience brilliant. While the issues you listed understandably effected how you rated our hotel, the positive ones were excellent. I will be sure that Sara, Jonathan, Roland, Annie and Autumn all know that you praised their service. Our indoor and outdoor pools are very busy in the summer. We have pool attendants caring for that area while the pool is open. I do apologize that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the pool. It is addressed multiple times throughout each day. All our poolside rooms have sliding glass doors to a patio that lock. If you choose a poolside room when you visit us again, please let us know if you have difficulty with the lock and we will assist you.
We look forward to seeing you again soon. We hope this time your experience is brilliant!
NYC
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I grew up visiting my aunt on the Brown University campus but I hadn't really explored Providence as an adult. I decided to drive up from NYC and tour the city with my boys; we had a fabulous time. There was a wine and cheese reception at arrival and the boys then made a bee-line to the pool. It was a fantastic indoor-outdoor pool with popsicles for the kids and a glass of prosecco for me. We then walked along the river (the city is much safer than I remembered it being 15 yrs ago), had dinner at Jacky's overlooking Waterfire Place and then walked up the steps of the beautiful Capitol. My husband was picked up by shuttle from the train station that night and we drove around College Hill and down to Little Compton the next day, making it back in time for Waterfire. And the boys were so impressed to receive a surprise bag of toys and candies in the room Saturday night.

I didn't get to use the gym, but it looked quite good for a hotel gym. All in all, the rooms were comfortable, the pool was fantastic and the hotel staff was exceptional. We enjoyed our stay so much that we are planning a stop-over on the way to the Cape this weekend.

Room Tip: We reserved a pool-side room. It was a little pricier, but worth the money since our boys are crazy...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear KathSnide,
Thank you for your awesome review! Your pics were great too! I was so pleased to hear your family had such a lovely experience at our hotel. Our indoor and outdoor connecting pools are cool! We look forward to hosting you again this weekend!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Definitely an average property, with dated decor and rooms. The Aqua area was nice, but the service was awful and my fries were served cold. The concierge lounge was nice, and an included shuttle a mile away was useful. Needs much more work and a refresh on the inside.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Joseph T,
Thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback. I apologize for the issue you had at AQUA, our outdoor lounge. Exceptional service is what we strive for in all areas of the hotel. Your comments will be shared with the team to insure that this issue does not happen again. We hope that when you visit Providence again, you will think of us. We look forward to hosting you then. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at jdahler@marriottprovidence.com
Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I travel to Cape Cod from Washington, DC a couple of times a year and my new routine involves flying in at around 7-8pm the night before I plan to be on the Cape and staying overnight in Providence. This way, I can have breakfast at Venda's on Atwell's Avenue and pick up some essentials for my visit to the Cape from Venda's and from Scialo Brother's Bakery. This Marriott, located at the bottom of the hill from Atwell's Avenue, fits the bill.

It's also got a nice staff, comfortable rooms and is in a quiet location. There could be better signage directing you to the front of the hotel. It's a little confusing but I'm guessing that's just a first-time thing. I'm a Marriott fan in general and really appreciate all they do in the way of making a traveler comfortable. It's now my Marriott of choice in Providence.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Beverly F,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We view our guests' opinions with great value. Your feedback is helpful to show our staff what we are doing right and what is important to you. Thanks again for such a great review. See you next time you visit Providence! We look forward to hosting you then.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Whenever I travel I always stay at a Marriott and have never been disappointed. Stayed at this hotel for a tennis event in early August and this hotel is dated! Arrived later in the evening and wanted to order room service, the phone did not work. The tub did not drain when showering and the AC is so loud at night it was impossible to get a good nights sleep. Also, there were water stains on the ceiling and we discovered there was no comforter on one of the beds.

The pool area is very relaxing and the staff at this establishment are very accommodating!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Deb R,
I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for the excellent comments about AQUA, our outdoor lounge, and our staff being so accommodating. I do apologize that you had some issues with your room. If this is something you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly at jdahler@marriottprovidence.com
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I call it "MY" Providence Marriott!!! Since I stay at the Downtown Providence Marriott two weeks out of the month, I have to say the staff is the best!!! Love the way they call you by name and go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of in every way. I've been traveling all over the country for over 10 years and by far this Hotel is the BEST!!!!! Love the infused water offered in the Lobby everyday and the nice clean rooms!!!!! The restaurant is excellent and room service is just as good!!!! Yes, don't think twice about staying here BEST Hotel in Providence ( I've stayed at a couple of the others)!!!!!!

Room Tip: I have stayed on all floors on all sides and I am still trying decided which I like best... No bad r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Susan F,
What an awesome review! Thank you for sharing it on Trip Advisor for all to read! We are delighted to be your Providence Marriott and we look forward to hosting you again and again. When we receive such great reviews from a seasoned travel like yourself, we know our team is hosting brilliantly!