Providence Marriott Downtown
Hotel Providence(Providence)
$157
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $178/night.

Omni Providence Hotel(Providence)
$171
$159
  • Pool
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $177/night.

$179
The Dean Hotel(Providence)(Great Value!)
$129
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $143/night.

$152
Courtyard
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $168/night.

$188
$153
$149
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $167/night.

Providence Biltmore(Providence)
$159
$139
Priceline
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $176/night.

1,696 results
All reviewsoutdoor poolfree parkingbluefin grillethe concierge loungebluefishshuttle servicefront desk staffbusiness meetingthis past weekendthe entire staffhotel restaurantupon checkbrown universitynew englandfitness centerfederal hillrhode island
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I recently stayed here with my parents. The service is great. Everybody we met did a wonderful job to make us feel welcome. This hotel just needs a renovation. It's an older and you can see corners cut to make it look newer. There was 1 roll of toilet paper in the room (c'mon now you always have two). The carpets felt old but maintained. From my reviews you can see most are positive, and for the most part this property would be. This hotel is however touted as 5 star, therefore I'm reviewing against what I would consider 5 star. The Mariott Courtyard located near the Mall is fabulous. This is also located a little bit from actual downtown. It's behind the state house. It's a good 5-10 minute walk into the actual downtown.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear RhodyPhotographer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your with our TA readers. We strive to provide extraordinary service and from your response, it looks like we made the grade with you and your parents. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently attended an event there.. the staff is very friendly and accommodating, the ballroom is quite large.. it can easily hold 30 round tables (obviously, less with a dance floor).
The bar at the Bluefin Grille offers nice people-watching.. The outdoor bar Aqua is a really nice in the summer.
Two of the advantages with this property is free parking and the shuttle to downtown/Federal Hill areas.
Disadvantage is that although walkable.. it is a bit off the beaten path in relation to downtown. There isn't anything right outside your door.

Room Tip: Because it is near the highway, request a room that faces the front of the property
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear MakeupArtist40,
Thank you for your awesome comments about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. Our Bluefin Grille is a hidden treasure in Providence and we're glad you enjoyed your time there. Thank you for noting that we are within walking distance to many restaurants and shopping. These places might not be right outside our door but within a 5-15 minute walk. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a quick 2-night business trip to Providence and spent a good deal of time actually in the hotel experiencing its amenities. I was in town for a meeting that was being hosted at the hotel.

The service staff here are quite nice and eager to please. You get the sense they are making the most of a bad situation at this property, offering chocolates at check-in and so on. That's appreciated and it is the only highlight of my stay here.

The public areas of the hotel have been recently renovated and that's pretty clear. The rooms and corridors, on the other hand, are downright shabby. This feels like more of a 1980s-era mid-range hotel than a modern Marriott. To top it off some of the rooms face the freeway resulting in more in-room noise than one would like. Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel to avoid that issue.

I am generally pretty easy to please with hotels and put up with a lot - it's not home, and rarely will be that comfortable! - and have maintained a short list of things that are downright annoying:
- Connecting rooms - why, oh why, can they not put better insulation in rooms with connecting doors? I should not be hearing my neighbor's conversations or listening to him/her pack at 4am, arranging plastic bags in his/her suitcase before loudly zipping it up. I always ask to get re-assigned when I see that dreaded connecting door but sadly, the hotel was sold out so I was stuck with it. Fortunately he/she was a quiet sleeper or I would no doubt have heard the snoring.
- General room insulation - there just isn't any excuse for paper-thin walls in a hotel of this caliber. That you might expect in an older Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn but not at a Marriott property. It truly leaves you in a bad mood to hear all of that shuffling and noise all night.
- Bad window insulation - see my note about rooms facing the freeway. The windows here are older and do not sufficiently drown out street noise or freeway traffic. If you are a light sleeper this could be a particularly frustrating night for you.
- HVAC - unlike most modern hotels, this one has the old wall unit in each room. Very loud and I decided to bundle up for a cold evening rather than turn it on.

That said, I did experience free parking and free wi-fi while I was here (not sure if that was related to the meeting rate for my room or is standard for all guests). This property is not really in downtown Providence; it's north and next to a gas station. Thus, for the reasons above and its poor proximity to restaurants and such I would definitely not stay here again. It feels exceptionally dated and lackluster, more of a motel than a hotel and not especially comfortable for the business traveler.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the freeway (on front of the hotel)
1  Thank SFO-World-Traveller

Dear SFO-World-Traveller,
Thank you for your detailed comments about your stay with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our free parking and WIFI - available to all our guests. We strive for top-notch service and you seem to have noted that in your review. We are located within walking distance to many area restaurants and shopping. However, one may use our complimentary shuttle if they prefer not to walk. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Providence.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Overall the staff has been very friendly. We came out the train station and walked to the wrong marriott and without hesitation she called the van and he picked us up within 5 minutes no charge. The hotel has some updates, but not all. Some corners have been cut and it shows. It looks like an older hotel with some renovations and it has the potential to be something better. Rooms are good size and over all clean. I did not care for the bed and the tv was having problems with keeping a signal. The pool area is nice and goes outdoors as well. The walls are paper thin. I could hear everything the room next to use. At six in the morning I thought the person was in our bathroom getting ready thats how close it felt. Based off price and value I can not compare as I have not shopped around for prices or reviews.

Dear lgp112,
Thank you for your feedback about the hotel. We are constantly improving our property and we're pleased that you saw our improvements. Our service is exceptional and I noted that you rated it as such - so thank you! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had to stay there for work and even with status I ended up with a horrible room.
The bathroom door takes up half the bathroom and won't open completely because of the curved shower rod. The bathroom had someone else's long brown hair in it. The walls and carpet were stained, and the saddleback mattress (worst I've ever seen at a marriott property) was hard and unforgiving, making sleep nearly impossible.
When walking down the halls you see dirt/stains everywhere. The staff at the front desk (must be franchised) is all VERY young and have not learned about customer service yet. When I went back to the front desk to find out if I could change my room I had the number of my marriott points thrown at me?!! How does even correlate?
Overall a very unpleasant stay and off my list of places to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid this property
2  Thank Michael B

Dear mbrierley,
We apologize for your experience. We would like another chance to allow for a better impression. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further. My email: jdahler@marriottprovidence.com