“The Lady is showing her age”

Providence Marriott Downtown
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is an old hotel that has not kept up with the times. Although 'downtown' it is inot in the city center. I found this an advantage for my trip. Because the parking is free and you are away from the congested traffic. The highpoint is the pool and exercise room. It serves as a health club for the locals. That is nice because it means it is well equipped and well kept. But that means it is busier than most hotel fitness centers. The indoor/outdoor pool is very large and the water is kept at bath temperature (too hot for some but not me). The concierge room is awkward to navigate around but the evening and morning food were up to Marriott standards. I stayed a week and the service had no complaints about the service but I was not wowed either.

Room Tip: Be careful if on the 6th (top) floor. When I checked in I found the 6th floor is not connected thro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Secondtimothy,
Thank you for choosing to spend a whole week with us. We are pleased to hear that you were quite satisfied with your stay and thank you for your great comments. I am sorry that you did not have the opportunity to be wowed by us. I only hope that you will stay with us again soon so that we can really WOW you this time.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

As a Marriott Elite member who travels 37 wks/yr nationally, and internationally, I wanted a fair assessment of this hotel: 3 point average is pushing it; 2.5 is more like it. My experience of this hotel is a little bit of everyone elses combined. Based on my week stay here, I concur that all reviewers (good or bad) are pretty much right on!

Understand that this is new england: old and expensive! This hotel is no different. Upon check-in we (& several other families) also waited a few hours for a room... that did not bother us; the hotel might have been busy or short staff. Quite disappointed that our Marriott Elite status was'nt recognized though as we had saved points for this vacation. We ate at the lobby restaurant while waiting; food was decent, average, somewhat pricey to others/average to some. Athmosphere was cozy yet busy at that time.

Their claim to fame: AQUA indoor/outdoor pool which can get crowded at certain times due to bar/lounge social area. Free hotel parking & internet/wi-fi a plus. Free shuttle within 1.5 miles radius; great if you are here for Brown University. Convenient location if you want a place right off the freeway exit.

Don't expect southern hospitality. Service is lackluster at times; some front desk staff are friendlier and willing to go that extra mile than others (it really all depends on the individual you get). Same with housekeeping. Our bathroom needed major sanitizing: smells like pee from previous inhabitants, the tub and grout needs a dose of bleaching. Maintenance: My personal judgment of a hotel's cleanliness and upkeep is by how clean or filthy their vents are. Our room fridge was broken and was replaced promptly by another broken fridge. The side entrances could use heavy duty powerwashing, new light bulbs, the cigarette & trash receptacles needs to be emptied. There are food trays on the hallways. We happen to have a (cheap lightweight) wooden door that doesn't fit properly to the jamb. Room is basic, adequate, clean (depends on your standard of clean), overall room & hotel decor is drab. Outdated hallways needs new carpeting.

Generally, not up to par with "Marriott" standards (hmm, it might be a franchise?). Like one reviewer says there are "too many little things" that prevents giving this hotel a top notch review and it is certainly way overpriced (if you paid $200+ per nt). Nothing fancy here - only the price. However, after reading all comments, the satisfied customers that gave decent reviews seemed to have paid more reasonable rates (i.e. if I paid $75/nt at this hotel, I'd say "wow, great deal" as well with raving reviews). In short, the price justifies the quality, vice versa, however you want to look at it.

Lastly, I love all the "diplomatic responses" by this hotel's public relations mgr after each and every tripadvisor comment. It shows they care and are paying attention. Unfortunately, all that apologizing and reiterating the positives, doesn't change the fact that another summer is gone and we saved & spent money on a sucky stay!

Room Tip: Borrow the key and inspect your room first... make sure everything works and it is to your liking !
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear minniemae,
Thank you for such a thorough review. We respond to every comment posted because we do care. Every guest comment is an opportunity to grow (good or bad). When we receive good or great feedback - especially when one of our associates is mentioned, we use that to identify and praise our key people. Nothing says you're awesome like seeing it in black and white. And when we receive comments that tell us we need to fix something or do something better or differently, we take that opportunity to do just that. We truly respect what I our guests have to say. I thank you for sharing your comments from our claim to fame to those not worth bragging rights. I'd like to thank you as well for your loyalty to Marriott. As always, please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further: jdahler@marriottprovidence.com

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Spend here a couple of nights during the weekend. The rooms are fine and the service is good. Also the outdoor/indoor swimming pool and the fitness room are enjoyable. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the Providence Mall where all the activities take place..

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Dear Eric S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor readers. We are pleased that you enjoyed our connecting indoor and outdoor pools and fitness center. It is our pleasure to serve you during your stay and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Decent and modern features welcome you at this Marriott's lobby. The outdoor poolside lounge is an added attraction. My family and I stayed here for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon event, which I thought was not a bad hotel of choice considering the location was close to the start and finish line, thus making it a good warm up run. The course of the run passes through the front of the hotel a quarter mile after the start. It is close to the Palisades Mall also. The hotel room was decent size, as well as the bathroom. Nothing fancy, but had all the amenities you would need, including fridge. The minus points to the room would be it's upkeep/maintenance: AC was leaking and carpet was soaking wet. I think that is a health hazard since it most likely had mold on the flooring underneath it. Light fixture inside bathroom by the shower/tub ceiling was not attached well, looked like it will fall over your head while showering. . Most important to us was parking and wifi were complimentary. Only drawback for us was the lunch menu at the Bluefin Grill, which is the onsite restaurant at the hotel. I was craving for some real good and fresh seafood, since we were at the Ocean State, but they only had sandwiches/pizza/burgers. They did have pan seared salmon and clam chowder soup on
the menu, so that was what I ordered...food was alright. I did see they had a Sunday Brunch buffet but had ended serving it when we were seated around 1pm. Overall stay was pretty good for the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear daytripper107,
We hope you enjoyed the Rock n' Roll Marathon. We enjoy having the runners and their families stay with us. Glad the weather held out this year! We're please to know that out location was just right for you - close to area attractions and in your case, close to the start of the race! We do apologize that you missed our award-winning breakfast buffet. At least you had some of our famous chowder and we hope that hit the spot! Thank you for mentioning that we offer free parking (and WI FI). Our hotel continues to be the only hotel in Providence to offer complimentary parking. We hope you can visit us again soon!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The price was great, The staff were all so nice and responsive. Chrissy Stewart went above and beyond to make our stay great. She found out it was my birthday and sent up a special treat. The shuttle driver was quick and kind and very patient. The room was very clean and the sheets were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear ILoveTheBeach_1,
What fabulous comments! Thank you so much for recognizing our associates and sharing the details of your excellent stay with us. Our complimentary shuttle drivers are friendly, efficient and very knowledgeable about the surrounding area. Chrissy is a fantastic associate and we appreciate that she took such good care of you. Hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The usual Marriott room decor has been updated at this hotel. The lobby is lovely and the included breakfast was beautifully displayed and very good. The location is great, convenient to everything.
That being said, our room #222 was small and the king size bed was practically the whole room! The bathroom was claustrophobic, and the light at the entrance to the room was of such small wattage as to be useless. When we checked in there were two glasses, one containing an olive outside the door (at3:30 in the afternoon), they were still there the next day. if you are planning a stay here, avoid the rooms at the end of the hallway (ours was the last room on the 2nd floor). We were adjacent to the highway and at times were actually vibrated by the highway, we needed the TV on to drown out the noise as well!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear VEGO,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Our lobby was recently transformed into the new Marriott Greatroom and we are so pleased to know you enjoyed it. Our award-winning breakfast buffet at the Bluefin Grille is spectacular. Thank you for your comments.
I appreciate your feedback about your room. While we cannot change the size of our rooms, we can look into changing the wattage of the lighting. I will speak to our engineering department about this. Thank you for pointing out that our location is very convenient and close to all the fun things to do in Providence. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

In a nutshell: My friend is getting married so I call Marriott's toll free number to book a reservation. The number directs me to Marriott's main reservation hotline and not the hotel itself. Over 20 minutes trying to book the room with a Marriott representative who clearly did not know what he was talking about. He was telling me that rooms were sold out and I was explaining that I was part of a wedding that had rooms blocked off specifically for this occasion. Instead of increasing his efforts to assist me, the representative deemed it courteous to transfer me over to the Providence Marriott hotel without a word. I was flabbergasted by this experience but I was relieved that at the same time in hopes to speak with someone different. I now had the potential to complete this remedial task of reserving a room for my friend's wedding!" I thought to myself. Once I spoke to the hotel directly, I was able to book the room in minutes.

The day of the wedding, I arrived with the groom and a few others to check in. The bride had called and requested early check-ins for myself and others. Also, I had stated this necessity when I called to reserve my room a month or so prior. Nope. The hotel could not assist me. No early check-in meant that would have to wait until 4pm before I could get my room. The desk clerk assured me that they would prioritize me a room. I asked that they call my cell when the room was ready and they told me no problem. Never happened. As a few hours passed by, my friends and I were getting anxious. I had to be dressed and ready to leave by 3pm in order to assist in coordinating the wedding ceremony. We brought a hotel manager up to speed with the situation. He looked like he actually cared about our situation and wanted to help. He clicked on the computer screen and then raced off to assist us...... I thought. Nope.

Crunch-time came, so we gained access into one of the rooms that didn't have a problem establishing an early check-in. Needless to say, I did not enjoy reliving my college years by showering and getting dressed in somebody else's cramped hotel room. The fact that the hotel reservation under David instead of my actual name, Steven was the cherry on top.

I am not a fan of writing negative reviews unless I truly feel that one is justified.
The room was adequate, no complaints. The hotel was nice overall, and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear stevep812,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We do our very best to grant all early check in requests - especially when folks are visiting for a wedding. This is not a guarantee but we do our very best to get a room ready as quickly as we can. I'm glad to know that you were able to change in a room and get to the wedding on time. Still, this does not make your experience better. I am happy to read that once you were in your room, you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff friendly.
I apologize that you had a confusing reservation experience. That sounded very frustrating. Typically we provide an online booking link in order to streamline the reservation process and to help you make your reservation under the proper room block.
I'd like to speak to about your overall experience further. You may reach me at jdahler@marriottprovidence.com