“Why Is It So Dark Inside???”
Review of Broadway Bistro

Broadway Bistro
Ranked #98 of 827 Restaurants in Providence
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Reviewed December 28, 2012

went for dinner and hate to admit, but was a bit disappointed in the quality of food and service. The food was ok, but lacking. Had an apple salad appetizer that was ok, but at all what I expected. For dinner had the brisket and mac and cheese recommended by the server. The brisket was very dry and the mac and cheese lacked flavor. Again, not as advertised. Service was slow, almost as if they couldn't be bothered with a single. And for some reason, the room is really dark. You almost need a pen light to read the menu. Guess this is ambiance to some, but it was dark to me.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was my go-to place for YEARS. In fact, I never reviewed it before because the review would have been accolades and I didn't want more people to go there and make the place more crowded. My dining experiences there, since the expansion, have not been as good as before. I am glad they are making more money now with the full bar and extra seats, but the menu is not as interesting as it used to be (oh, roasted beet salad ...again!) and the waitrons also have more of an edge now. The new table layout's feng shui (sp) is off and I also think the new layout makes it harder for the waitrons to move around.
Again, I am glad they are so successful but things have changed. The regular clientele base is older...that is good for owner...again, more $$. I am not sure it is my go-to place any more.

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Since my days living in the west side I've always loved Broadway Bistro. It was always a unique tiny neighborhood spot with a limited but highly inventive menu featuring locally sourced ingredients. You could sit at one if their small outside tables with your dogs and have a glass if wine from their great "by the glass" selection and be very happy. Over the last few months they have taken over the space next door and substantially expanded but the food and service are as good as they ever were. Had dinner their last night: beet salad with fried Gorgonzola balls (spectacular) followed by Fried Avacado Tacos (great). It was all wonderful and so was the friendly service. A lot more room than before: you can probably get a table or a seat at one of the two bars and it is worth the drive to Broadway! A little pricey ($76 for two with two glasses of wine and a 20% tip but well worth it).

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I have been going to Broadway Bistro for several years. In that entire time, the worst meal we had was far about average for any area. We hadn't been there for a month or so until last night. In that month BB had taken over the space next door and added a bar. In the old space, the kitchen was expanded a little. The new addition looks great.

Last night we had 'deep fried avocado tacos' for an appetizer, which are an entrée. My wife had the salmon and I had the swordfish. As usual, the food came to the table piping hot. The taco-appetizer was amazing. The avocado was fried perfectly and the corn tortilla shell was absolutely fresh. My wife's salmon came to the table so hot, she had to let it cool a bit to eat. The greens and other sides were full of flavor.

My swordfish was equally good and I ate as slow as I could so that I didn't finish too fast.

Broadway Bistro does get its share of accolades, but in my opinion, not nearly enough. They have a small menu and every item is prepared with absolute perfection.

1  Thank rjalterman1
Reviewed November 3, 2012

That was one of the best meals we had on our trip. Great creativity on the menu. I had the salmon with the pumpkin spaetzle - excellent. It is a small place, but very worth going to before you leave Providence.