“Comforting Hampton Inn & Suites Providence”

Hampton Inn & Suites Providence Downtown
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Providence
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Hampton Inn & Suites is a very comforting and a nice place to come back to during the day or in the evening. It's clean and spacious. My favorite room is 1009 which has a separate wet bar area and the separate vanity area, giving the toilet and shower it's own room. The view of the parking lot is not pretty, but sunlight does come in to make the room brighter. Our favorite is the wonderful staff that's efficient and friendly. We love the free self-serve breakfast which has everything you need to get the morning started, waffles, fruit, yogurt, oat meal, eggs, sausage, etc. It's lovely in the evenings to be able to have tea or coffee. This hotel is located near Rhode Island School of Design where our child attends, so it's a short walk to her campus and dorm and near many wonderful restaurants and shopping area. I loved that it was one block from Starbucks and the fabulous RISD Library.
It's so close that whenever we needed a rest it was easy to come back to and then leave a couple hours later for another adventure. The only disappointment I experienced was leaving behind my favorite bathrobe and never recovered it even though I was told it would be. Sad.

Room Tip: Choose the newer section of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hawaiian555
Christopher_French, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Providence Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

I appreciate the kind words you had to say about our staff and hotel. Thank you for the review. So happy to hear that you will be choosing to stay with us again, hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I did not stay at this hotel but when I called to ask for a price quote they were awefully nosy about why I needed a room and when I replied that my significant other and I were going to a concert they immediately said they were out of rooms for that night. Kind of rude. Its none of your business what I'm doing in providence.

• Stayed: February 2014
Chris F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Providence Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with the hotel. We ask what brings our guests to Providence to see if there are any discounts with companies or events going on in the city. Although we were sold out when you were looking to stay with us, we are walking distance to the theater as well as most locations where concerts are held. Please give us another try if you plan on coming to the Providence area again!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Rooms are very clean and comfortable, hotel is within walking distance of most of the downtown area, and hotel staff are very pleasant. Overall, this hotel met every need and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Darlene S

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our Hampton! We know when coming to the city that you have many hotels to choose from. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

The only bad thing about this hotel was the price that i found to expensive for one night. The hotel employee were very nice and welcoming. The room was cozy and very clean. The free breakfast in the morning is very good. It goes from yogurt to waffles, passing by eggs and turkey sa usage. If you prefer you can have toast, bagel or cereal. Good place to stay right in the financial district.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ulric M

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary continental breakfast! Thank you for choosing our hotel while in Providence! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Business-like hotel. Quiet comfortable room. Clean and well furnished. Plenty of space. Adequate (free) breakfast. Well positioned for Brown University and downtown. Staff helpful and friendly. Overall very happy.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

We are the closest hotel to Brown University and walking distance to many places downtown! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hampton Providence Downtown and hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Great place. Super location. Great staff. Love the bkfast. Good price. Would stay here again in Providence, RI. Valet was very good and prompt. The weather was lousy, but went to an inside farmer's market that was very good.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Douglas T

Thank you for choosing our Hampton while staying in Providence! It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have you back with us soon!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel while on a business trip. There are a few good things about it but also a few things that could definitely use improvement.

The Good -

1. The hotel is located in a decent area. It's about a ten minute walk to the middle of the downtown and about 15-20 minutes to the Providence Place Mall. This saved me from constantly having to take my car out of valet and find a place to park.
2. The staff was all completely friendly, from the front desk, to the valet, to the housekeeping, to the breakfast attendants, etc. Everybody always had a smile on their face and I was constantly greeted with a "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon". I would especially like to say how friendly and helpful Hannah at the front desk was. She answered every question I had and provided me with everything I needed for my stay.
3. The bed was very comfortable. The pillows are all feathered and I should have asked for non feathered pillows since I am allergic to the feathered ones, but that was my own fault.
4. There was a mini fridge and microwave which was very useful and convenient.
5. The fitness room is quite spacious and has a lot more machines than most hotels I've stayed at. Although I will say, it is located in the basement and I found it to be a little bit creepy down there. I'm not sure if I would ever want to go work out down there by myself.
6. The business center had a lot of extras that most hotels don't have such has mailing supplies, paper clips, staples, scissors, and more. It really was kind of like a mini office in there.
7. There is free breakfast which is a rare find for a downtown hotel. They had a few hot items, a waffle maker, cereal, hard boiled eggs, toast, bagels, muffins, pastries, oatmeal, juice, coffee, milk, etc, There are a lot of tables in the lobby area for breakfast too, all different kings of tables which was very nice. Some low tables with chairs or wall sofa cushions, some high tables, etc. The lobby area was very welcoming and comfortable.

The Not so Good -

1.) The Elevators were very old. I was on the 9th floor and sometimes I was worried if the elevator was actually going to make it without breaking down. It took quite a few seconds for the doors to open each time it got to the floor and it just looked very old and worn out. If I wasn't on such a high floor I probably would have taken a staircase. You also can't really fit more than four people (without luggage) in the elevator comfortably. Also, you do need your room key in order to operate the elevator. I do understand this is for security reasons, but as a whole it was an inconvenience especially when I had my hands full and then had to dig around my pocket for the card while trying not to drop everything.
2.) The rooms were very outdated. The colors on the wall made the rooms look like they were last done in the 70s. It did have a flat screen TV which I didn't use so I can't say how well it worked, but there was also a desk and chair which were very useful for me to catch up on emails at.
3.) The bathroom was overall probably the worst part about the hotel. The tiles at the bottom of the wall were broken and falling apart. It looked like it had been resealed multiple times. The shower was very old looking. The spout where the water came out for the tub looked like it was very loose from the wall and could fall out at any time. The shower curtain was too short for the tub so it was nearly impossible to not get water all over the floor when showering. The sink was built into this very beautiful wooden stand with a marble or granite counter top, however the wood on the bottom shelf of the stand was chipping and peeling. The bathroom really looked like it needed to be gutted and just redone.
4.) On the top of the headboards there were sticky notes claiming that the sheets and comforter were clean and fresh for my convenience. I found this to be a little bit tacky to have a sticky note confirming this information. Also, I would automatically expect that the sheets and comforter were cleaned after each guest departed as that is very unsanitary to not do that. Since it is something that should be done regardless I didn't understand why it had to be advertised (especially on a sticky note that was just stuck to the headboard).
5.) One thing that does drive me nuts is when hotels claim to be eco-friendly and state that to save on water and energy they will only wash the towels located on the floor and if we wish to use the same towel to hang it up. Every hotel that I have stayed at that has claimed this policy has never actually followed through. I always hang my towel up and leave a pile of things I want washed on the floor, however every hotel (including this one) removes my hanging towel as well and rewashes and restocks everything! I know this is a personal pet peeve that most people probably don't care about, but I just feel like why go through the hassle of claiming that you are eco-friendly and posting all these signs around the rooms if they are not accurate.
6.) There is only valet parking. The hotel is located on a crammed little street and although there is a parking area directly behind the hotel (that isn't associated with the hotel but charges a little bit less), the hotel itself only has Valet Parking. I guess if you are not used to city life this can sort of seem as an inconvenience as you can't just go when you feel like it, you have to call and wait for them to bring your car around. Overall it was fine, but I'm not a huge fan of valet parking so that is why I put it as a not so good feature.

My stay overall was decent but the hotel could definitely use some upgrades and improvements. I'm not sure it would be my first choice if I ever came back to Providence, but if the price was right and there wasn't any other options I probably would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Nicole H
Christopher_French, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Providence Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2014

I apologize you feel Providence as a whole is unfriendly due to your experiences with our property and a restaurant nearby. I spoke with my staff and management and it seems there are a few sides to this story. There was clearly a misunderstanding as we always pride ourselves with offering top tier customer service here in Providence and I apologize you didnt feel that from us for the few minutes you were here with us.