“It's actually better than the Bronx Zoo”

Roger Williams Park Zoo
Ranked #3 of 124 things to do in Providence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Roger Williams Park Zoo, one of the nation's oldest, exhibits 100 rare and fascinating species from around the world including African elephant, giraffes, moon bears, snow leopards, flamingos, harbor seals, timber rattlesnakes and more in naturalistic enclosures. The Zoo also features seasonal activities, family-friendly education programs, and special evening events, like the nationally acclaimed Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular, scheduled throughout the year. In addition, the Zoo participates in collaborative conservation and breeding programs to help ensure the future survival of threatened and endangered species both locally and around the world. Visit our website for more information.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Coming from NYC, I tend to be a bit jaded about other zoo offeringsd. Boy was I wrong about this place - really nice collection of animals, they're awake & relatively easy to photograph. It was off-season {March} but the zoo was still well maintained & clean. The staff are attentive & cordial. I was in my glory with the camels, giraffes, elephant and snow leopard all ready for their photo op.

There are newer reviews for Roger Williams Park Zoo

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have a family membership to this zoo and sometimes we make a day trip out of it, some days we just have a short visit. The kids LOVE the "Big Backyard" that the zoo just opened last year, in the Summer they have a water play area that is great, but I would suggest going there first if you don't want to pack wet kids into carseats!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My family and I were travelling around New England and my little sister always wants to go to a zoo. We were originally going to go to the zoo in Boston but after reading bad reviews we decided to go to the Roger Williams Park Zoo because we were heading to Rhode Island next. We were pleasantly surprised to find that this zoo is great and we've been to many major zoos in North America like Washington D.C, San Diego and Toronto and this zoo was just as good. It may be small but has many surprises. It has lots of animals like elephants, giraffes, seals, red pandas, camels, etc. Also they have a daily giraffe feeding where visitors can actually feed the giraffes, great for kids! Also the zoo is quite clean and the food is pretty good, not your usual burgers and hot dogs, they actually have variety. Also one of the best things about this zoo it the animal habitats, they are big and clean with lots of greenery. I'm generally not a fan of going to zoo because I've been to so many but I really enjoyed this one and it was a nice walk too, not just boring paved paths with no trees anywhere like a lot of zoos. We loved it so much that after making the loop around the zoo we made another loop to see the animals again and catch the ones me missed. Maybe the only problem with this zoo is that the staff wasn't the friendliest but other than that it was a great experience. Also there was lots of parking within the park so it was safe.

1  Thank RachelBlair
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This does not compare to zoos in the Bronx, DC, San Antonio, San Diego but it still meets your zoo needs when you have a craving for a zoo visit. If you live in southern New England and enjoy zoos, this is the best you're gonna get. Its clean, the animals have a decent amount of space and its not depressing (like the Mendon zoo!) If you're visiting from out of town, don't waste a vacation day here. You probably have something similar near you. New England has a world class aquarium but we are sorely lacking in world class zoos!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Besides the bitter wind of a February morning we were greeted warmly at the gate. 1/2 off for Jan and Feb meant for 15 the of us got in to see the animals. there were 4 roaming zoo keepers helping to point us few travelers to the exhibits-inside for Elephants and Giraffes, the Penguin and the Moon Bears, and the snow leopard were having a grand time in the cool weather.