“Needs Work”

Roger Williams Park Zoo
Ranked #3 of 134 things to do in Providence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located amid 40 acres of beautiful woodlands, the Roger Williams Park Zoo provides visitors the opportunity to see animals from all over the globe – some more than a million years old. Naturalistic surroundings are home to more than 100 species of animals including a Komodo dragon, as well as zebras, red pandas, African elephants, Masai giraffes, snow leopards, bears, flamingoes, sloths, and more! Kids from two to 102 have the opportunity to feed giraffes and harbor seals, as well as an array of farmyard animals. For something slightly out of the ordinary, visit our new Explore and Soar area offering an exhilarating zip ride, a train excursion through the woodlands, and camel rides. The Zoo is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), and is home to many endangered species. As a result, the Zoo participates in cooperative conservation and breeding programs to help ensure the future survival of many endangered species.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Sadly the zoo is not very well maintained, there were too many "off exhibitions" to my liking and the animal exhibitions there were open were not very well maintained. Usually even when we go to places that are not very impressive for us as adults, it is still very easy to impress our kids (thank god), in this case they have also quickly lost interest. I can't recommend this zoo to my friends, there are much better options around (southwick zoo).

2  Thank Sivan L

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Incredible show. Thaousand of carved pumpkins. Many different thems with music as you walk around. Very crowded, but it is a must see.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

There is something for everyone at this zoo. We went just as the zoo was opening so some of the animals were not out yet but we simply circled back to catch everything. Each animal tech would tell us what time to come back. Everyone was very nice. Before we knew it we had been walking none stop for 2 hours. The time went so quickly as there is so much to see. Great for the kids. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Going to the Zoo is fun for everyone. All ages!! If you love Animals then will love bringing friends or family to the Zoo.
Fun for all!!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have always heard great things about this pumpkin spectacular so have wanted to go for years but could never go because of work and college overtaking all my time. This year I finally had the opportunity to go and was more than excited. I called the Admissions office to make sure that the ticket prices were correct and that everything was still running after hurricane Sandy. The woman on the phone said that everything was running fine, tickets were $12, and that it closes at 11 that as long as I was there before 10 I could enter no problem. After rushing out of work and driving 45 minutes in horrible traffic I finally arrived at the gate at 9:50 ecstatic that I had made it in time. Confused on which gate to enter with no correct signage I kindly asked the man at the gate which direction I should go through. He rudely raised his voice and stuck his head into my passenger side window stating everything closed. I let him know what the time was and that we were told that we could still enter as long as it was before 10. The man screamed at us saying everything closed with the dirtiest look and turned his back on us with complete disrespect for possible guests of the zoo as if he were the king and we were to praise his existence. Very disappointed I drove off and called the Admissions office once again to ask why they had closed early and make her aware of the horrendous staff man she had at the gate, the incompetence of her answer was that "I don't know why it closed early, the person above me that you could speak with about the issue is the man you were describing at the gate" What?! Apparently his name was Ron she said was the head coordinator for everything and the only person above him was the owner of the zoo. This baffled me. A man so angry was the person I would speak with. The man who couldn't tell time apparently. Here I was to think that being such a well known place they were for the good of the community and if anything would keep the gate open 10 minutes later as a courtesy to traveling guests not close 10 minutes early. You think someone with such a management position would have some more respect for his guests. A little tip to the owner of the zoo- Ron is a joke. I work in a management position myself of a popular independent hotel and would normally refer hundreds a month to this event, not anymore. You can thank Ron for your loss.

8  Thank stephanie p