“Must see while in Colorado”
Review of Estes Park

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Pearland
35 helpful votes
“Must see while in Colorado”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed in Estes Park for 3 nights during October 2009. There were not many tourists which made the whole experience pleasant. I could see where going during peak tourist season would be crowded and conjested in the town. There are plenty of places to shop and a wide variety of eateries. Food tends to be overpriced but that is to be expected of a tourist town. The elk were in rut during our visit. They are all over!

1 Thank scubabug
Naperville, Illinois
12 helpful votes
“My favorite Colorado mountain town!”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This little mountain town is perfect! I lived there for 3 years and still regularly go back to visit since I miss it so much. Estes Park is an easy but beautiful one hour drive from Denver. It is right at the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park which has unlimited hiking paths, gorgeous overlooks, wildlife and camping. My favorite time to go is mid September when the Aspens are changing color and the Elk start bugling. Just start your hikes early since the weather can turn in the later afternoon. Downtown Estes has many quaint little shops to wander in and out of, a few good bars like the Wheel Bar or Wapiti Grill, and a good selection of dining choices. Also located in Estes is the historic Stanley Hotel which is a must see. Stephen King wrote his novel, The Shining, there, and movies have been filmed there too. It's a great place to have a wedding. There are lots of neat places to stay for all types of budgets. Don't forget to take a short drive up to St. Malo's church, just southwest of the town. Incredible masonry with Long's Peak as it's background. Even the Pope has visited this unique chapel! Great vacation for anyone at anytime, just breathtaking!

2 Thank gypsiegal
OMAHA
1 helpful vote
“Fall in the rockies”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Had a wonderful stay just outside Rocky Mountain Park. The trees were spectacular! Great pizza at Poppy's.

1 Thank lindendragon
Austin, Texas
146 helpful votes
“What a nice little town!”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I loved this town! It was sooooooo pretty! The service was great everywhere we ate. The shopping was wonderful. The local brew was fantastic.

The brewery has 2 really good beers. The Stinger and the seasonal Hefe. The pizza was good. The pricing reasonable and I LOVED the take out jugs of beer. Made a great souviner.

Fom the Worldmark, you can walk into town from either Riverside or Moraine. It's not that far. Moraine is a little longer and not as scenic but there's a GREAT Rock shop and leather store along the way. The hardest park of the walk is the hike up the hill from resort to street.

Taking Riverside was our favorite way. It's flatter and shorter. There's only one tiny blind curve where the path isn't great but very little traffic on the road. Also it will take you to the tram station. It follows the river, hense the name Riverside. As soon as you reach Picadilly Square, the paved riverside park and shopping trail picks up next to the bait shop. We ran into a bear one night coming back from town in a tree about 10 feet in front of us. VERY COOL. Lots of wildlife sitings.

There is a free hourly shuttle that runs in the summer. It was pretty convenient when we were feeling lazy.

As far as Grocery stores go. Just get to the Safeway. It's across the street and up the hill from the Visitor Center. Stairway that leads up to parking lot. It is a regular grocery store, reasonably priced, with good selections. There is one other place, called the Country Super Market. It is what it is. A Country Market. Most of the meat was an off color. The beer selection is deplorable. They offer free delivery on orders of $25.00 or more. However there is a catch. You have to put your order in on Monday for Tuesday deliveries. This did us no good as we were there Wed -Wed. Also there is no online shopping or price list. It was also on the pricey side being much smaller but OK if you didn't want to run across town for an item or 2.

There isn't much going on in town for late night. 2 Bars I know of are open after 10 or 11. The Wheel Bar and Lonnigans. We had lunch at the Wheel Bar. Lotta Bang for your buck but didn't make it to Lonigans.

We also did a Happy Hour at the wing place near the Worldmark. The garlic wings were the best. And the really hot not really hot but we'd certainly go there regularly if we lived there. Recommended.

Stanley Hotel: Nice place. Sat on the porch and drank a few $6.00 beers. Very relaxing but a little pricey. Now we can say been there done that. The park across the road has a nice little trail and a place where the elk do their birthing.

Nice golf course and great paved walking trail around Lake Estes. Also a bird santuary along the trail. Some pretty tame elk live around the course. You can walk up pretty close for a snapshot.

Take the tram to the summit. It's $9.00 for an adult. Great views, but the best part is buying peanuts and feeding the ground squirrels and chipmunks. They are so tame they will actually sit on your lap and eat (or stuff their cheeks). Hike the road up to the top.

We also had some otter that lived on the Thompson right out side our room.

This town is full of critters! That's why we liked it so much.

1 Thank trekingirl
Nebraska
2 helpful votes
“Rapid Transit Rafting”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We just got back from Estes Park and my husband wanted to go whitewater rafting. I am not a really big water person, so this was a big step for me to do this. I booked this two weeks (day rafting trip on Colorado River) in advance and was getting more apprehensive everyday before going. They have you meet at the high school in Estes park and then they shuttle you over Trail Ridge Road. Thank you to Bill for being such a great tour guide..very informative driver! We got to the lauch point and the guides are great in getting you fitted for life jackets and such. Scott was our guide and he did a fabulous job! He made it very enjoyable and relaxing for me as I am not the "water" person! We did have a ball and I would do this again. I highly recommend Rapid Transit..very good guides and our whole group looked like they had a great time!

1 Thank Husker30

Been to Estes Park? Share your experiences!