“Did the job…”

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed August 21, 2009

The Twin Owl provided a clean quiet room. The staff was friendly and the rates reasonable. The other reviews are quite harsh. No, it’s not a 5 star hotel, but I wasn’t going to Estes Park for the room, I was going to see the area and take part in activates, not hang out in my room all day. We have a big family so a $500/night place would not have allowed us to do everything we got to do. So if you need a place to rest your head while you are having a great time in the area, then this is the spot!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank phernandez41
There are newer reviews for Twin Owls Motor Lodge

Reviewed July 28, 2009

This is the worst motel I have ever stayed in. The ONLY reason we did was because the elderly relative I was traveling with, desperately needed a place to sleep, otherwise I would have stayed in the car! All the other reasonably priced motels were already full or did not have anything available without stairs.
Thank goodness it was cool outside that night because there was no AC. The management had left the windows open so the room was somewhat cool. No wifi, no breakfast, no amenties AT ALL. The bed springs had fabric hanging down on all sides, my bed was made with 2 flat sheets, so it kept coming untucked, and my blanket had a hole big enough to stick your foot through. The TV was small and the remote didn't work. One of the chairs was completely unattached on one side, so you couldn't sit in it. Had to ask for toilet paper right away-there was hardly any on the roll. Check out is 10am instead of 11am. The ice machine was right outside our room and it woke me up several times during the night. (But that gave me a chance to tuck the sheet back in!)

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank Spay-NeuterDiva
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Wow--I am astounded by the negative reviews on this site. I actually plan on returning to this motel. I am a "local" (50 miles from Estes) and have shopped around for pet-friendly motels near the national park for days when we want to get there the night before to hike early.

Yes, this place is not luxurious, but I experienced no bad smells in my room, or poor housekeeping. In fact, when I pulled into the parking lot in front of my room, the dude cleaning it asked me if I needed anything extra, like towels or soap.

I brought my two dogs with me. The owner quoted 10.00 extra for each dog, but when he saw them, he was sweet and enjoyed petting them and said they were so cute, he'd only charge 10.00 vs. 20.00.

Swimming in a pool is important to me, for exercise, and this pool was great, and even though the place filled up, it wasn't crowded. For anyone not familiar with this part of Colorado, keep in mind, most summer days here are too cold for some people to swim in an outdoor pool. Maybe it helped that it was one of the hotter days this summer. I've stayed at places where the pool is so nasty, you wouldn't even dip your toe in the water. This pool was above average for Estes, where many hoteliers don't pay that much attention to this amenity, given the chillier climate.

And for those traveling with pets, many motels in this town say "Pets welcome," but there is often very little landscape to walk your dog. Twin Owls has lots and lots of nice areas to do this, out of the way of traffic, and not just a piece of grass in an asphalt parking lot.

To get to town, you simply have to walk about 1/2 mile,and yet, the place is set up above the busy roads and is relatively quiet.

For anyone unfamilar with the area, the twin owls refers to a mountain/rock formation visible from the motel lobby--two outcroppings that look like two barn owls. By the way, the hiking trail in that part of the park is relatively uncrowded. Ask at the front desk for directions to the trailhead.

Overall, this was one of my better experiences in overpriced, crowded Estes Park. It is not fancy, but I can say from experience, if you drive up the road to stay at the illustrious Stanley Hotel (where I stayed and held my wedding), it's not much better, and way more costly.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Satisfaction7
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Terrible beds, dirty, run-down, over-priced, over-priced, over-priced. We booked it on-line because it was pet friendly. Once there we saw many motels offering "pets welcome" signs. Nice little couple run it, but that's the best I can say.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilold
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I had the worse experince at this hotel in my life the sheets were stand the room had a stench to it. I also found a condom stuck to the side of the bed. the bathtub also had lot of hair in it. VARY DIRTY.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 1, 2008

9/30/08
The place has been let go -There has been no upkeep. Maintendance has been delayed .

Twin Owls gives a back eye to any independant operation.

I would not stay here again and suggest that you avoid it.
It should be put out of business.
The location is great though!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BusyBSonomaCounty
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Our family stayed at The Twin Owls this past summer and were happy with our experience. It is not a top rate hotel, however, we weren't paying top rate prices either. We have stayed there in the past and were happy to stay there again. We booked 3 rooms for our family and all were clean and smelled clean as well. There is some general upkeep that needs to be done on the stairways and deck, but for the most part it is fine. We will not hesitate to stay there again when we return to beautiful Estes Park.

1  Thank ordinarymom