“Should be torn down and condemed”

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Got to the hotel and we could barely understand management, her English was horrible. She told us that the National Park didn't have tours anymore for the season, even though we saw the tour bus go into the park. We were on the second floor on the end, the stairs looked questionable as to rot. The pool was closed and it had slime in it. When we got to the room, the room was covered everywhere with dead bugs. We went to the bathroom and pulled back the shower curtain, the tub was full of water with a soaked towel floating in it. The worst part was there was no heat, my kids got cold very quickly. We tried to turn the heat on, because it was 60 degrees in our room. Then my boyfriend walked across the carpet and his foot sunk into the rotted floor that they covered in carpet. All that combined, I called the front desk and told her to meet me in the office. When I tried to explain that her rooms were revolting and I didn't want my family to stay, she tried to offer another room, at which I refused and demanded a refund. When the refund came up she came up with excuses as to why the room was so nasty. I had to tell her if I didn't get my refund right then, that I was going to call the Estes Police. Needless to say I got my refund and we ended up staying at a beautiful hotel called Rocky Mountain Park Inn

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank aheaven

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Never, NEVER, have I stayed at a motel as horrible as this! If you like towels that are stained (yellow) . . . if you like no coffee pot, hair dryer, shampoo, or any other amenities you would expect from the cheapest motel you can imagine, well, this is your place! The first room we were put in reeked of smoke so badly we neither my wife, or I could breathe in it. The lamp shade was filthy and the room was unbearable. Would have left to find another motel, but there was a Scottish Festival going on and there were no other rooms in Estes Park to be had. I told the owner we could not stay in the room we were given and she put us in another room that at least we could breathe in, but the stained towels, etc. were to follow us! The television was at least color . . . Green on the entire top portion of the screen and totally red on the bottom! The beds were reminiscent of marble slabs. Nice touch on the bathroom door . . . someone had kicked a hole in it and in lieu of replacing the door, why not simply put a 12" x 12" piece of plywood over the hole and call it a day? The shampoo was a one of those "give away" samples in a foil envelope. Want a bath bar size soap for the shower? . . . forget it, you get a tiny facial soap so just make do!

I travel extensively and can understand "economy" motels, but this was simply a case of the owner taking your money and giving nothing in return. Dirty and Horrific!!! As the old "Lost in Space" television show used to warn . . . . "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!!!!" Stay away, travelers, stay away!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bagpiper549
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our first indication should have been the missing number on the door. Upon entering, we were treated to intense smoke and animal urine stench. The bedding had burn holes and stains of unknown origin. The carpeting and upholstery on the chairs were very stained. The wall had a yellow splatter stain...( oh God ), and the ceiling fan had black dirt all over the blades. I found a Corona bottle cap on the floor. We stayed the night out of desperation ( it was a holiday weekend ), but I told the owner we wouldn't be staying for our second night. She said she could only refund us 75%....ok fine with us. The kicker was the next morning, I found a bed bug crawling on the pillow. Oh yea....all this fun for $112 a night and they didn't even have a coffee pot in the room. Did I mention the swimming pool ? It was covered in green slime and there was a lawn chair at the bottom. It obviously hadn't been maintained for weeks, yet the sign out front advertised a heated pool. The best thing that could happen to this property would be a bolt of lightning and a slow to respond fire department. Thankfully we found another motel for our second night and the weekend was salvaged.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a good room in the place
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Meg K
Reviewed September 2, 2012

DISGUSTING! They need to be shut down. Rude, and hard to comprehend with staff. No hot tub. The river is cleaner than the pool. Room super hot no air conditioning and ceiling fan that was ready to fall. Bed had only a cover sheet and blanket. Mattress and pillows old and flat. Non smoking room and burn stains all over the carpet. Walls very dirty and two holes put in them. Bathroom grossest thing in the whole world. Bottom of tub black, hair on the wall, ceiling and floor. Mold on shower curtain. Cauking badley needed. Sink and mirror dirty. Towells old and thin. Everything smelled awful hint to them keeping all the windows open. No alarm clock either. Vacuume wouldn't hurt all the dust either. Do not stay here! I will nvr let my husband book things again!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank CamySabo
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This place is a DUMP! Dilapidated hotel, towels were very old, black hairs on pillow cases and in bed, rooms were dirty. I wish I had read reviews before I booked this hotel. Worst hotel I have ever been in.

4  Thank dkbfire
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We unfortunately had to stay for 2 nights because the Asian lady at the front desk charged our credit card upfront. This was before we saw the condition of the room. Couldn't believe the smell, the dirty carpet, the trashy bathroom, and the trash under both beds. The screen door on the front window was broken, so we had to lock up our valuables or take them with us. We paid $205 for 2 nights. I want them turned in. That place needs to be shut down. Those people are crooks!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. It's a dump!
2  Thank erkop1967
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Twin Owls is HORRIBLE!! They shouldn't even be open for business...the health department needs to shut them down. It looks like there has been no maintenance (inside or out) for 30 years. I checked the mattresses for BED BUGS (couldn't see any), but got 5 BITES up my arm during the night. The sheets were covered in dog hair. The carpets are filthy and stained. The mattresses are old, flat and stained. The pillows are flat. The towels are old, non-absorbent and smell funny. The whole room smelled bad (they try to cover it up with room deodorizer spray). Two of us woke up in the morning with headaches. There was trash behind the dresser; bad dust under the furniture; lamps missing bulbs; windows missing screens. We rented 4 rooms, and they were all filthy. Don't let the photos on their website fool you. Those photos must be 30 years old! They shouldn't be charging more than $20 for the night. ABSOLUTE WORSE PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED!!! I can't stress enough how horrible Twin Owls is.

3  Thank TellingTheTruth33345