“Stay away from this hell hole”

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Stay away from this hell hole”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our first indication should have been the missing number on the door. Upon entering, we were treated to intense smoke and animal urine stench. The bedding had burn holes and stains of unknown origin. The carpeting and upholstery on the chairs were very stained. The wall had a yellow splatter stain...( oh God ), and the ceiling fan had black dirt all over the blades. I found a Corona bottle cap on the floor. We stayed the night out of desperation ( it was a holiday weekend ), but I told the owner we wouldn't be staying for our second night. She said she could only refund us 75%....ok fine with us. The kicker was the next morning, I found a bed bug crawling on the pillow. Oh yea....all this fun for $112 a night and they didn't even have a coffee pot in the room. Did I mention the swimming pool ? It was covered in green slime and there was a lawn chair at the bottom. It obviously hadn't been maintained for weeks, yet the sign out front advertised a heated pool. The best thing that could happen to this property would be a bolt of lightning and a slow to respond fire department. Thankfully we found another motel for our second night and the weekend was salvaged.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a good room in the place
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Meg K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed September 2, 2012

DISGUSTING! They need to be shut down. Rude, and hard to comprehend with staff. No hot tub. The river is cleaner than the pool. Room super hot no air conditioning and ceiling fan that was ready to fall. Bed had only a cover sheet and blanket. Mattress and pillows old and flat. Non smoking room and burn stains all over the carpet. Walls very dirty and two holes put in them. Bathroom grossest thing in the whole world. Bottom of tub black, hair on the wall, ceiling and floor. Mold on shower curtain. Cauking badley needed. Sink and mirror dirty. Towells old and thin. Everything smelled awful hint to them keeping all the windows open. No alarm clock either. Vacuume wouldn't hurt all the dust either. Do not stay here! I will nvr let my husband book things again!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank CamySabo

Travelers are raving about these Estes Park hotels

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This place is a DUMP! Dilapidated hotel, towels were very old, black hairs on pillow cases and in bed, rooms were dirty. I wish I had read reviews before I booked this hotel. Worst hotel I have ever been in.

4 Thank dkbfire
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We unfortunately had to stay for 2 nights because the Asian lady at the front desk charged our credit card upfront. This was before we saw the condition of the room. Couldn't believe the smell, the dirty carpet, the trashy bathroom, and the trash under both beds. The screen door on the front window was broken, so we had to lock up our valuables or take them with us. We paid $205 for 2 nights. I want them turned in. That place needs to be shut down. Those people are crooks!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. It's a dump!
2 Thank erkop1967
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Twin Owls is HORRIBLE!! They shouldn't even be open for business...the health department needs to shut them down. It looks like there has been no maintenance (inside or out) for 30 years. I checked the mattresses for BED BUGS (couldn't see any), but got 5 BITES up my arm during the night. The sheets were covered in dog hair. The carpets are filthy and stained. The mattresses are old, flat and stained. The pillows are flat. The towels are old, non-absorbent and smell funny. The whole room smelled bad (they try to cover it up with room deodorizer spray). Two of us woke up in the morning with headaches. There was trash behind the dresser; bad dust under the furniture; lamps missing bulbs; windows missing screens. We rented 4 rooms, and they were all filthy. Don't let the photos on their website fool you. Those photos must be 30 years old! They shouldn't be charging more than $20 for the night. ABSOLUTE WORSE PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED!!! I can't stress enough how horrible Twin Owls is.

3 Thank TellingTheTruth33345
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I wish I had read all of the reviews before booking. It was a motel from hel....! It is totally run down, dirty, stained sheets, no AC, old TV that does work ..barely,,lights broken, has not been pained since the 60's outside or inside. Terrible smell in the room. I saw the room and immediately went to the desk and told the woman I had to leave due to the smell. They kept the $85 . This motel should be looked at by the health department.

Room Tip: Go to a Best Western or something that has been recommended by someone who has been to the lodge or...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Upset29942
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Twin Owls is a dump. The beds are hard as rocks, my room smelled terrible, was very dark, had no AC and the ceiling fan squeaked loudly, no screens on the windows so if you want any cool, fresh air be prepared for bugs in your room. It is very close to the main road so traffic noise is quite loud, as is the noise from other guests and slamming doors (walls are paper thin). There is really no view to speak of: the photos of the fancy pool and hot tub with the gorgeous backgroud are definitely fake! The pool sits in between the parking lot and the road! my room had no clock, no window blinds, and I found a beer bottle in the trash can one evening that I definitely did not put there, nor did the maids, seeing as I had not had maid service that day- meaning someone had been in my room without my permission. I promptly moved out early. Avoid this place at all costs- there are plenty of cleaner, safer options nearby.

• Stayed July 2012