“A Step back in time”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This place was built in the early 1900 so it doesn't have air, just a ceiling fan. And in June it's warm. the rooms are small. But it has more charm than you can shake a stick at, I really enjoyed it there. Very peaceful and relaxing. The price is a lot, but you won't find anything like it just anywhere.

Room Tip: pick the north side or east , so your room will cool down earlier
2  Thank ThePolisher

Reviewed June 24, 2014

My wife and I recently spent a night at the Stanley while vacationing out west, reservations were made 6 months ago while planning the trip specifically requesting to be in the main building, of course upon check in, we were informed we were "upgraded" to the lodge, our protest fell on deaf ears. Having said that, the room in the lodge was quite nice, bed was comfortable and the hotel was clean. Our only other negative was dinner at the on site restaurant, to make a long story short, worst dining experience I believe I've ever had, avoid at all costs, go down the hill and eat a Big Mac, it'll taste better and you'll get it in your lifetime, horrible service. I gave them an average because the continental breakfast at the lodge was very good.

1  Thank Steve A
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Myself and 7 other childhood girlfriends rented a condo associated with the Stanley hotel. We were celebrating our 60th birthday. We were assigned one of the privately owned condos. The view was spectacular from our condo! There were 2 floors, 2.5 bathrooms. The amenities were minimal but all there. There is no a/c but was not necessary, we just opened the windows and door. There is a gas fireplace. It was a wonderful way for us to see the sights yet be together. It is a short walk to the hotel itself. The bar was so crowded we could not get a seat. If you plan on taking the paranormal or ghost tour book the tour when you make your reservation. There were no openings when we tried to book the same or next day.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is our second stay at the Stanley. The first was on the 4th floor in July a few years back, which was miserable, if fun with the haunting. The lack of A/C and fans up there made us wonder if we should return. We decided to try June, and it is cooler up here, and we have a ceiling fan, but the room is so-so for the price. The tub has leprosy, with peeling porcelain around the drain and what looks like dried grout around the edges. The room is clean, but bit run-down.

The grounds are beautiful in all the public areas, but sadly, if you look even a bit beyond that, the maintenance is poor. Chipped paint, exposed drain pipes, chipped floors in the public restrooms... I feel sad that they're talking about building a fancy new spa and hurting the view when basic maintenance is lacking.

The restaurant was super busy at supper, so we were willing to wait because we sat at a bar table. Twenty minutes later we left, after more affluent looking people than us were served at the same bar tables well after we sat down, and no fewer than five waiters made eye contact but never once asked if we even wanted a cocktail.

The reason I gave a three is that the location and history are unbeatable, we had lovely front desk service, and the room is, as I said, quite clean for all its warts. And hey, the ceiling fan gets one more point than I would give the room we stayed in the first time! Still, there's lots of room for improvement for the price.

Room Tip: get on a lower floor. Heat rises
2  Thank Lorna H
Reviewed June 21, 2014

The rooms are overpriced. We felt that this would have been a nice, not wonderful, $40 room. We stayed in the main building on the 4th floor. Because it was the 4th floor, the ceiling in the extremely small bathroom was sloped making it feel even smaller. I am only 5 feet tall and it was a low ceiling. Second and third floor might have been better. There was no closet, not even a hook to hang your coat or garments, although there was a chest of drawers. The ceiling needed dusting, the second morning we realized we had no coffee cups or coffee, there was only one chair, no desk, and the bed was so soft it was difficult to even turn over during the night. As there was no closet, a luggage rack would have been better than nothing. Next visit to Estes Park we will stay in a condo for less than we paid for this small room. Take a tour of the hotel and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you are tall, ask for the second or third floor in the main building.
2  Thank Janet H
Reviewed June 20, 2014

First of all, the Stanley is an amazing hotel! I have wanted to stay there ever since I was a little girl when I visited Estes Park with my parents.

The hotel and room were lovely. The Cascades bar was great too! We had breakfast in the Steamer cafe once. Average breakfast food, but the service made up for it. The gentleman at the counter was charming and very kind. The baked goods there were amazing though! My son also said the gelato was great.

Yes, the hotel is old. What do you freaking expect? It is the HISTORIC Stanley hotel for goodness sake. I thought the building was charming. I love old buildings and it was exactly what I was hoping for.

Definitely do the ghost tour, it was lots of fun and our guide was great! I was woken up at night twice by someone running down the hallway. Not sure if it was ghosts or rowdy hotel guests though! Also got the chills in the 4th floor hallway.

My only complaint about this hotel- the housekeeping service was not up to par. We stayed 4 nights and housekeeping totally missed our room two of those nights. We have a baby and did have to stay in the room a little later, but we called the front desk to let them know when we left and to please have housekeeping come up. Both days this happened we had to call down to the front desk to beg for towels and to ask someone to please empty our trash. The people who came up were very nice, but I was really bummed they totally missed our room. That's the whole point of staying in a hotel- the cleaning details of your room will be taken care of. They were not! Also, the housekeeping staff totally missed the pair of pajamas that a former occupant of the room left on a shelf in the bathroom. That was gross.

I love this hotel, but hopefully they will work on getting more coordinated with their housekeeping staff! I would love to go back, but after the experience with the housekeeping I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Room Tip: Ask them if your room has an oval window. The oval windows don't have screens, so if you have...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We went to the Stanley knowing that The Shining was filmed there, but had no idea that a portion of Dumb and Dumber was filmed there also! Myself and my children rank that movie high on our list, and so seeing the "Men Walk on Moon" poster in the bar of the bar scene from the movie was a pleasant surprise! The Stanley itself was a nice place to visit with a Stanley Steamer and good photo opp's. $5.00 for parking if you are only visiting.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family