“Nice but not spooky”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Had a good time overall. Ghost tour was ok, not really believable. Rooms -they are nice but walls are thin and you can hear everything. Bar is excellent! The views are stunning! Staff was very helpful.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thanks for the comments regarding your recent stay. We appreciate hearing all feedback and do our best to improve based on these. The view up here is pretty incredible!

We hope to see you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Stanley Hotel

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I love the Stanley hotel and just had my 5th visit. The reason I go to Stanley is to get away and relax from the college town Fort Collins. The cascades bar is an adults playground with over 500 whiskeys and more to come. Jimmy and Mercedes are awesome mixologists as well as fun friendly hosts. The food in the restaurant is first class and always served with flair. Looking forward to next visit. BTW I was in room 230 and the temperature was perfect!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Maggie D

Thank you for the comments on your recent stay. Glad to hear you visit us frequently and enjoy our large selection of whiskeys.

Hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Spent one night in the old hotel, stayed in a Superior King room, with 3 big windows and one oval window in the bathroom, the room was nice(needed a good vacuuming and dusting) room had a large king bed with nice beding. Its a old building (keep that in mind when booking) but thats all in the charm of this hotel !! (the bad housekeeping is not so charming). We had a bad meal in the hotels Cascades Restaurant, the food was good but we found plastic in the meatlof and in the dessert, but the manager took the blame for the kitchen and comped our meals, but we did take very good care of our waiter.

Room Tip: Go for one night and go for the best room you can afford!!! We loved our Superior King room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MissBaileyCO
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. These types of comments help us improve our overall operation.s I am glad the restaurant manager was able to make accommodations given the situation.

We would love to have you back again in the future to improve your experience.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel has a reputation for being haunted, and they do play that up a lot. They even have a tour to capitalize on it. If you believe, then I think you'll be pleased. If you don't, it is still a wonderful venue full of beautiful history. The bed and room were very comfortable. We had a hot water problem when we tried to shower at 6am. When we mentioned it at the front desk a couple of hours later, they gave us a key to a different room in order to shower. But we tried the water again in our own room, and it was fine. When we checked out, we told them we never used the second room, and they gave us a $50 discount off the fee (we didn't ask for that). What I'm saying is, I was really pleased with the service and willingness to make us happy.

2  Thank James A

Thanks for the comments about your stay. Glad you enjoyed yourself and the staff gave you great service. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Historic Stanley Hotel! Wow! Just like I imagine it while reading The Shining. The hotel is extremely authentic and unique. So far it is the best hotel I've ever stayed. It is totally worth the money and I will definitely come back.

1  Thank TheLittleBeeNYC

Thank you for the kind words about your stay. We are glad you enjoyed yourself and look forward to having you back in the future!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband surprised me with a short get away on Christmas day. After a short drive from WY, we ended up at the Stanley Hotel. I was excited and the stay was great. The best part was Scary Mary. She loves what she does and it shows. She was a great historian and has a special gift. I am not a ghost skeptic but did not expect to experience anything unusual. About half way through the tour, my husband and I were lagging behind and finally caught up with the group, when Scary Mary announces, that the spirit she was feeling wanted to thank the nurse. She asks, looking around if there was a nurse in our group. My husband was a little spooked I think but it was awesome. I am indeed a nurse and there was no way that she or anyone else there would of known that. I loved the extra perk of the ghost experience and will stay again sometime. The rooms are small but well kept. The only thing that bothered me was the smoke detector in RM 1221was missing and you could see the wires. I filled out the card that is left in the room for such things but forgot to take it to the checkin desk on checkout. All in all, a great experience!!

1  Thank Sherry T

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Scary Mary is truly a pleasure to have here as a tour guide and I am glad you had great experience on her tour. Also, thanks for pointing out the smoke detector in that room so we can make sure to address it.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed in room 230 at the Stanley Christmas night. When we arrived at the room it was a very uncomfortable 82 degrees. The front desk said they would send up an engineer while we had dinner at the Cascades. After dinner, they said they turned off the heat. The temperature never got below 73 degrees all night and that was with an open window. To make matters worse, my husband ended up in the bathroom all night as a result of something he ate at the Cascades restaurant. At checkout, we received a modest apology and the removal of the cost of the drink we had at the bar off of our bill. Given the miserable night we had due to their faulty heating system and poor hygiene in the restaurant, I really think they should have comped us the room. I couldn't wait to get out of there and will never return. Stay away from this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Pixie H
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Thank you for the comments regarding your stay. Our kitchen is proud to boast the highest ratings of cleanliness on our state inspections and we are extremely careful in how our food is handled. Most food borne illnesses take a minimum of six hours to incubate.

I am happy to hear that the heat did get shut off and came down to a modest temperature of 73 degrees as the hotel is on one main heating system. The Stanley is a historic hotel and does run off base board heating so it is not direct control like most modern systems.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com