“Wonderful historic hotel ”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
San Angelo, Texas
“Wonderful historic hotel ”
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a 6 day stay at the Stanley over Halloween. It was a good stay, but the staff was not as friendly as I would have thought they would be. The guy who checked us in was curt and not helpful, and no one that we ran into was as nice as the people we met in the community. The housekeeping staff was always giggling and not very professional. The room was nice but not as historical as I would have thought it would be. The hotel and grounds were beautiful though. The view can't be beat. We can't wait to go back though, but won't expect the hospitality we did this time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We definitely hold our employees to a high standard for guest services and these comments go a long way in correcting that. We look forward to having you back in the future and as a hotel, we will improve on your experiences with the staff.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
very rural Colorado
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

A must see when visiting the Park and Estes, but not so sure about staying overnight! Our deluxe "renovated" room in the Lodge was cramped .... a lovely King bed, luxury linens, LG flat screen and high speed free wi-fi. But could barely get around the bed in the very small room and the adjoining tiny bath was sad. Pedestal sink, not even a place to put the toothbrush, aged 4x4 tiled bath, vintage shower curtain. Chilly in Estes Park in early Nov so the property had turned the heat on. Hallway must have been 85 degrees. Heat off in the room but thermometer registered 79. Opened both windows wide plus tiny bath window. Sweltered through the night; temp down to 74 by dawn.

That said, the property, gardens, staff, classy bar, and lovely restaurant wowed us. The community is recovering from a devastating flood and every single person we spoke with was lovely and just glad to see things getting back to normal. The elk were bugling in the park and you owe it to yourself to see this place!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your guestroom. We will communicate these suggestions to the appropriate departments. Glad you had a good time and were able to get out in the community and see the elk come around! Hope to have you back in the future!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Stanley was everything I hoped it would be. A beautiful stately hotel, it must have been really something to see before all the condo's were built behind it. Of course, I went for the ghosts and when there Ghost Hunters Academy was also there filming. When I made my reservation (months in advance) I requested to be on the infamous most haunted 4th floor. I asked about the nightly rate for the Stephen King room and that was way out of my price range and you had to book that room a year in advance.

My room was very nice and on the TV The Shining plays all the time, no matter when you choose to watch it. I thought the big screen TV spoiled the historic charm of the room, but I realize most people feel a TV is necessary - I would have been happy without it. Went on the ghost tour run by the hotel and in the basement you can view props from Mr. King's mini-series The Shining. I chose to walk down to the town for meals and I must say that the altitude does make that difficult. There are elk everywhere.

Night time was fun, scary and interesting. I took my camera out into the hall and started to take pictures, all of a sudden the battery drained while I was holding it in my hand - yikes! This was a brand new battery, no reason for it to drain except ... it was a bit erie to watch that little battery icon go from green to red in a matter of seconds. I took many photos, and believe I got some interesting shots. Many times late into the night there was the sound of running feet down the hall, but when I rushed and opened the door there never was anyone around. One night I kept hearing noise like furniture being dragged across the floor above me - I was on top floor and the attic was above. This was very late at night, the front desk said it had many calls from guests complaining about the noise, but no one was up there moving anything.

All in all it was a great stay and the "haunted" Stanley Hotel was everything I hoped it would be. My opinion - it is definitely haunted.

Room Tip: The hotel is vintage, no shiny glass and chrome. If that is what you like this isn't the place f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. Glad you have seen us in some of the paranormal TV shows and were able to stay on the haunted floor. Sounds like you had some interesting stuff happen too, which is always fun! Hope to see you back in the future!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Yes, I'm a Stephen King fan but I also like Grand Old Hotels. This was a bucket list item and I stayed on Halloween, so fun. The hotel is exactly what I expected, grand old style that you just don't see made anymore. I was upgraded with no warning which was great after a very long drive from Boise. The bar and dining facility in the hotel were fantastic, during my stay I had drinks, dinner, and breakfast. For what you get the prices were very reasonable and the service was outstanding. The Whiskey Bar selection is beyond impressive. The price of my room was also reasonable, you get an older style room with all the modern needs filled. Nice TV, iphone charger, and a very modern style bathroom that was done in a way that doesn't hurt the charm. The ghost tour was fun and on Halloween it can't get much better. The Steamer's Cafe is a great place to get coffee very early in the morning with a good selection of snacks to go along with it. I highly recommend The Stanley Hotel because it was a great place to stay and I love the idea that I'm helping to keep it alive and running.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. Glad you enjoyed all the amenities of the hotel and had fun on a Halloween Night Ghost Tour! Hope to see you back in the future!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is a gorgeous hotel, it's just a really neat place to visit and just minutes to Rocky Mountain National Park! We ate lunch in the restaurant and while it is really nice, the food itself is not worth the price. When you leave , go straight across the road on to a dirt road that leads to a little park with beautiful views of the mountains and the town of Estes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. Glad you enjoyed the views and offerings of the Stanley Hotel. Hope to see you back in the future!

Miami Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Was there for a conference. I have to say the hotel and location is by far one of the coolest places to check. The surroundings is just phenomenally beautiful. The hotel itself is an architectural masterpiece of its time. And yes.. the place is one of the creepiest hotels to sleep in (you hear everything during the night at times, I couldn't distinguished from people moving in their rooms or something else). Everything creeks and there is no WD-40 in sight.

The bar has a classy 19th century look with an amazing variety of scotch, and whiskey. I might add to steer away from buffalo trace's mash whiskey unless you really want to experience a man's whiskey (Great taste but might knock you off your feet).

The restaurant is really top notch. The food I ordered was ny strip & a burger.

The place definitely keeps up with the hype of being cool and also scary.

Room Tip: You can get the haunted rooms but they may cost extra.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for the comments on your recent stay. Enjoying the many varieties of whiskeys at our Cascades Bar & Restaurant is quite the treat. Glad you enjoyed the creepy side and historic side of the Stanley Hotel! Hope to see you back in the future!

Denver
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Stanley is one of the most fun resorts in the state - the tours & history are FANTASTIC! The views are stunning! Rocky Mtn National Park is literally just down the street. I don't think I've ever been to Estes without seeing a ton of Elk & Mule Deer. And The Shining Ball is one of our favorite events of the year!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Glad you had a fantastic stay and keep coming back to the hotel! The Shining Ball is always quite the event with all the extravagant costumes people are decked out in for the night. Hope to see you back real soon!