“Stately Old Hotel”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at the Stanley in early September on our way through Rocky Mountain National Park. The scenery in Estes Park is gorgeous. We chose not to stay in the main hotel (the 1909 elevator was on the blink), so we stayed in the Lodge adjacent. A nice room, but small. Parking was convenient, and the elk herd grazed next to our room. The only negative event of our stay was being locked out of our room at checkout, unable to retrieve our luggage, which was resolved by staff after an hour and a half.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PickyPensacola
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay overall! Sorry for the little hiccup at the end but glad it was resolved. We look forward to having you back in the future!

Jesse Freitas

Guest Services Manager

There are newer reviews for Stanley Hotel

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We enjoy staying in old hotels and visited The Stanley on our recent trip to Rocky Mt. National Park. (Fortunately our trip was the week before the terrible flooding!) It was chaotic when we arrived because the lobby was jam-packed with people due to a Ghost Tour and a wedding that was being rained on.... but after navigating through the front desk formalities, we found our room to be spacious, clean, and quiet. The views from the room were also quite spectacular! I agree with another reviewer that the bedding should be upgraded, and although I missed having A/C, 2 floor fans & another small fan were provided in addition to the ceiling fan. We ate at the Cascades Restaurant for dinner and breakfast and my husband and I both agreed the food was very good. The grounds were well maintained and you just cannot beat LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Room Tip: We stayed in a King Deluxe on the 4h floor which was at the end of the building and had gorgeous vie...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope to have you back in the near future!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

If you are looking for new, freshly painted and modern, forget this hotel. If you are looking for history, old time charm, great service, and a wonderful experience, then this is the place. The location is spectacular, the town fun, the wildlife and scenery excellent. The elk/buffalo/pork meatloaf was to die for.

1  Thank Bruce B

Glad to hear you enjoyed the atmosphere and charm of the Stanley Hotel! Chef Rich's meatloaf is definitely to die for! Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My stay at the Stanley was a pilgrimage of sorts, having been a fan of Stephen King for more than half my life. I knew all the lore and facts and trivia about the property long before ever dreaming of actually staying there. We decided to stay in the main building, because we wanted the full experience.

All in all, the property delivers what is expected. A historic building that is maintained in ways to keep it as vintage as possible. What this means for the guest is that the elevator will only work some of the time, there is no AC, and hot water can be a luxury.

First let me start off with the good: The building itself is gorgeous. We had such a good time just walking around inside and out, looking in amazement at the historic hotel, and the amazing views of Estes Park from every side of it. The bar and Cascades restaurant were excellent as well. The food was delicious, prepared fresh (as are most things in CO), and we felt they were priced very fairly. Our room was a King Deluxe on the 2nd floor and we felt it was spacious and comfortable on the whole. The bathroom was clean and the toiletries were adequate. Everything in the hotel appeared to be well-maintained and clean. Noise was minimal, even while sleeping with the windows open. In the basement, they have a butterfly hatchery, which are released once a week I think. This was very impressive.

Now for the...not really bad...but less impressive things: First, the entire thing was more campy than I was expecting. This is, first and foremost, a historic hotel on the National Registry of Historic Places. I expected a bit more elegance and a bit less Stephen King tourist trap. But I also understand they have to make money, and a lot of that comes from King fans like me. Most of the basement is devoted to memorabilia from the movies that were filmed on location, including the dollhouse that was on the front lawn in the Shining miniseries. There was also a large room devoted to the "haunted history of the Stanley" which was locked and open for paid admission only. There were also doors labelled "tunnels," but we were denied access to these as well. I'm sorry, but when I pay this much to stay in a hotel, I expect to be able to see as much of it as I wish without paying extra. I can see paying the tourists that drop in but don't stay, but paying guests should be able to see these areas if they wish. The same was true for the music room and a couple other rooms upstairs. They were only available to the tour groups. That was very disappointing.

As for the room, it was adequate at best. The bed seemed comfortable, but by morning we both had sore backs. Again, for a hotel charging this much per night, better bedding is not only expected, it is a necessity. There was no hot water at all in our shower. I figured this was to be expected in an old hotel. I did mention it at the desk at checkout and the clerk looked shocked and said we should have had hot water. They reduced our bill for the inconvenience, and that was a nice touch.

The part that shocked me the most was that only guests at The Lodge get free breakfast, even though they paid less per night. I am still scratching my head over that one. Is it that hard to bring a tray of pastries upstairs from the cafe in the basement, or is this just one more way to milk every penny possible out of the guests?

All in all the Stanley is a must stop while in Estes Park. The history and the gorgeous views alone are reason enough. Cascades restaurant is another good reason to stop. I understand that the newer rooms in The Lodge are more comfortable, so consider those if you plan to stay here.

Room Tip: I would not stay in the main building unless you are an avid Stephen King fan.
2  Thank ROTJob

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate hearing all feedback about guests stays. Please email me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further at jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Let me say this was on my bucket list and the wait was well worth it. It was everything I thought it would be and more, the best part was Estes Park I was not ready for this great little ton. We only stayed three nights but I could of stayed three weeks! The Ghost tour was neat, but noting to fear in this place. Great old world serve and rooms! No better place to stay if you are wanting to check out the national Park! I also used there spa and it was top of the line too!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

We can't wait to have you back! Nice to hear you were able to enjoy the ghost tour and hear about our friendly ghosts.

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed before & loved it. Stayed in a large mountain-view room. Very clean, comfy room. Good service from all employees we encountered. Only complaint was sink hot water took forever to get hot. Shaving or face washing was done in cold water. Shower & bath water got hot fast. Sit on that front porch awhile to enjoy the scenery---so relaxing after a day in the beautiful mountains. Read about this haunted hotel. Very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: September 2013

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. It is always nice relaxing here with the views of the mountains. We look forward to you coming back to stay with us in the future!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were extremely disappointed with our stay, but did not say anything upon check-out as the town had flooded overnight and they were quite busy checking in people who had had to leave their homes.
We booked this room to celebrate our five year anniversary. We signed up for the $70 upgrade by pre-paying, but were not informed that the upgraded room was available until after we asked about it, nor were we informed that, with the upgrade, breakfast was no longer included.
We were disappointed at the starkness of the room--nothing but the bed to sit on, except for a desk chair. When we pulled down the covers of the bed we found a long hair on the sheets, and when we checked the pillows, found two of them quite full of hair. The TV remote did not operate the TV. We were exhausted, and after inspecting the rest of the pillows, found two that seemed clean, so laid down for a nap, when suddenly the room door burst open. It was the maid--no knock on the door--just burst in at 4:00 in the afternoon.
When I called the manager, he offered to send a maid to change our sheets and engineering to fix the TV. When I told him we had not planned on having company, and I asked for a different room, he said he had one. He came up to our room and was quite polite, showed us another, smaller room, which at least had a chair to sit on, which we took. The grout was coming up on the bathroom floor right in front of the sink, (not comfortable to stand on in bare feet), the shower grout was moldy and the shower curtain was coming out of the wall (same as the other room) but there was only one hair on the pillow cases. When I mentioned that to the manager who was standing there, he just smiled and said that he hoped that this room would work better for us. Despite the manager's pleasant demeanor, he never once apologized for the state of our $300+ room, nor for the maid not knowing better than to just burst into a room without knocking, nor for the inconvenience of having to change rooms. There was no acknowledgement of our anniversary, no offer for compensation, no acknowledgement of the lack of cleanliness.
The Stanley Hotel may be historic, but there is no basis for charging what they charge for a room that is in a state of disrepair and not even as clean as the Comfort Inn.
We live in the area, and would definitely go back to do a ghost tour, to eat again at the Cascades Restaurant which was wonderful and to take out-of-town guests to see it, but I would NOT recommend spending the money to stay there. It is worse than mediocre; it's in a state of disrepair, not clean, and the there is no such thing as customer service.

10  Thank milesandpoints

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I would like to follow up with you directly on your recent stay to rectify this situation. We of course had challenges with the recent flooding but that is no excuse for the service you received. Please email me at jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com.