“Love the Stanley Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Chesterfield, Michigan
“Love the Stanley Hotel”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a great time at the Stanley! We only stayed 1 night but it was a lot of fun. The room was clean and updated. The staff was friendly and helpful. We also did the evening ghost tour and enjoyed it very much. The hotel is over 100 years old so it doesnt have all the updates you expect from a new hotel. It more then makes up for it with the charm and history you get at this old classic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for visiting our property, we appreciate your business. I am most pleased to hear how accommodating our staff was in making your trip memorable. We look forward to your return visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We have always wanted to spend the night at the Stanley Hotel. We finally got the opportunity. A little overpriced but still enjoyed our stay. One night was enough for us. Did the night ghost tour during our stay. It was just o.k.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Kjasina
Thank you for your feedback, I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable visit. We do run great discounts throughout different times of the year, I would absolutely encourage you to take advantage of these, typically done through groupon or living social. We certainly appreciate your business; thank you again.
colorado
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, and the grounds well kept. The staff were friendly and efficient. The room was clean and beds super comfortable, even the roll away. We wanted to attend the ghost story session at 11 pm but were sad to learn it was cancelled. Scary Mary found us and gave us our own private tour of the music room!

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor , very convenient and not quite as hot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Scary Mary is an absolute gem! I am happy you had a great July 4th, and hopefully you enjoyed the great fireworks show the town put on! Thank you very much for your business!
Grand Island, Nebraska
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Myself and my 2 daughters stayed one night in one of the haunted rooms, yes the price was high, but we paid for the room and the experience. We did have many experiences that night, very exciting. The next day I went on priceline.com and did the mystery hotel for 2 more nights, and was awarded the 2 nights again at the Stanley. They wanted to keep us in the same room but I wanted some sleep, so they transferred our luggage to a suite, I was impressed and we had more experiences while roaming around the grounds at night, met up with others that was also ghost hunting and exchanged stories. We did ask for towels an received some within 5 minutes.
The rooms were very nice, we did not have in either room anything unmaintained. Of course air conditioning would be a perk but it was not a priority for our stay. We enjoyed every moment we was there. The staff was friendly and helpful.We would definitely go again!

Room Tip: rooms on fourth floor are warmer during the summer, the suites on the first floor are alot cooler
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your visit, I am happy that your family had a wonderful visit! I would encourage you to share your specific experiences with us via stanleytours@stanleyhotel.com. I am extremely pleased with our staff's service during your visit. Thank you very much!
Portland, Maine
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel fell short of my expectations, considering the price i paid for 1 night.
Sure it's grandeur is amazing, and it's architecture beautiful......the rest not so much.
The room attendant never checked the ice bucket before we checked in, so we were left with melted ice and a Diet Pepsi from the previous people. Also one of the complimentary Stanley waters had been opened and not replaced with a new one.
The king bed was comfy as were the pillows.
No AC, just a ceiling fan. No fridge either.
The seasonal pool wasn't opened even though it was well over 80* outside.
Guests do not not get a free tour of the place.....just a $3 discount from the general public price.
Breakfast is not included.
Dinner menu was decent....and fairly priced.....get the nachos if you want to feed 4 to 5 people.
I WAS NOT IMPRESSED with the butterfly hatchery downstairs....obviously there was some confusion as to who's job it was to maintain it....as there were many DEAD beautiful butterflies that could have been prevented. It was sad really.
I wasn't thanked for staying....or asked how my stay was when checking out.
It's more of a tourist trap than a caring establishment.....to stay is to stay just so you can say you did....otherwise it's not worth the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Johnson2013
Thank you for your candid feedback, I have shared your comments with our team as we continually strive to improve. We absolutely appreciate your business, I would love to discuss any of the opportunities you experienced, and ask you reach out to me directly. Thank you again.
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We KNOW that historic hotels are a challenge to maintain, and that, if you appreciate them, you put up with a few flaws, but...we think that The Stanley needs to work on some of their wait staff (bar waiters and Cascades Restaurant hostess staff). We found them to be sullen and inconvenienced by the guests. Small issue, though. More noteworthy: Our 4th of July stay was confusing. It seems that the hotel wants to be the community host as well as the hotelier that it is. A 4th Celebration carnival was set up with tents, climbing tower, ring toss, and other carny fare on the front lawn. Locals and anybody willing to pay $10 per car were admitted, thoroughly clogging the hotel, it's porches and dining. That in itself would be festive; however, guests had no where to sit and enjoy the beautiful views due to non-guests 'staking' their porch spots for that evening's fireworks. Ugh!
We will probably return to The Stanley but NOT for the 4th of July or the busy summertime. Too touristy and eager to capitalize on the Stephen King history of him writing The Shining, while a guest in 1980. This is a great property, but management is confused on who to serve: the hotel guest, the tourist seeking Ghost Tours, the wedding trade, etc.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank traveltoes1957
Thank you for your recent visit, and your time providing your feedback. I am disappointed to learn that your 4th fell below your expectations. I have shared your comments with our entire team as this helps us improve not only our service, but the execution. I would ask that you reach out to me directly regarding any future visits as I would like to personally handle. Thank you again for your business.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Spent one night here and one night was more than enough. This was the one hotel I was really looking forward to staying in but I was disappointed. It’s one of those places you visit just to say you visited. The hotel has character and is historically interesting. The problem is that it is filled with crowds of people who are there on tours. I couldn't enjoy the hotel on the day we arrived; instead, I woke up at 5 AM and walked around the hotel and the grounds to get a better feel for it. (I do have to give a huge thank you to the person who was opening the café in the basement who allowed me to get coffee even though they weren't open.)

As expected, the rooms are small. I knew there would be no A/C, but the tiny table top fan in front of the open window did nothing to cool the room off (and had layers of dust on it). In addition to the table top fan, they had a ceiling fan that only worked on one speed, super slow. Needless to say, it wasn't a great night of sleep with stale hot air in the room. The bathroom was updated and decent but our shower would not work properly. You either had scalding hot water or ice cold water. It was so bad that I eventually gave up trying to shower and instead stuck my head under the faucet to wash my hair with ice cold water and then washed up by rinsing with a washcloth.

We ate breakfast there as well. Not as many options as there had been a previous hotels and the food was just okay. Service was slow, even though there were maybe only 5 other tables in the restaurant. Our order was also messed up and we just wanted to get out of there. I was also surprised that they charged $4 for coffee in the restaurant and the coffee was warm and weak.

I would not recommend this hotel to stay in. I guess if anything, go on a tour and you can ruin the experience for all the paying hotel guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa F
Thank you for your recent visit, and taking the time to provide your feedback. I am disappointed that your stay fell below your expectations, and would love to discuss the opportunities with you, and also win your business back. I'd ask you reach out to me directly; thank you again.