“Very Impressed!”

Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Sterling, Colorado
“Very Impressed!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I went to the Stanley Hotel for our Honeymoon and the only regret we have is that we couldn't stay longer! Besides the gorgeous surroundings, the security was the first thing I noticed. We were unable to get there until 3 am and were greeted by a member of security who rushed to open the doors for us because our hands were full. They had great security inside and out which made us feel very safe. The staff in every other area was wonderful as well and the Cascades restaurant was delicious! Their caesar salad is to die for! The rooms were beautiful and comfortable, the prices were reasonable, and there are so many fun things in the area to keep you busy. There is no AC but it was not hard to keep the room cool at all. We plan to go back soon just to do it all over again. Definitely worth your money!

Room Tip: The deluxe or superior rooms are larger if you are looking for something cheaper than a suite or con...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit, we are extremely happy to hear that we were able to share such a big moment in life with you. We will see you next year for your first anniversary! Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Stanley for my birthday. I was treated to champagne and chocolates in my room as well as very accommodating front desk staff. We also stayed in the condos for the last few days of our stay. I recommend them for families! I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for your birthday! I am happy to hear that our staff was very accomodating, I have shared your comments with our team. We look forward to your return visit, thank you again for your business!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is amazing. The history, the grace. If you enjoy staying in a beautiful old property, as we do, the Stanley is a must! That being said you can't expect the same sound proofing of a modern building, the floor creaks a little. But I would suggest that is part of the charm. We were in a delux king mountain view. The view was amazing, as was the room. Large, with really cool apparently antique furnishings. I really can't say enough about the property!

Management...well a bit of a different story. We checked in at 3 pm. There was a wedding on the front steps. Hotel guests were snuck in through a side door and not allowed to go into the lobby. We were then told we would have to wit to check in, as not to disturb the wedding party waiting to go outside. When I explained we had committments and needed to check in, we were again snuck around a back way to the desk. After checking we took a really cool elevator up to our room on the second floor (again not allowed to use the historic stairway, due to the Bride- and we're told we couldn't be on this floor other because of the wedding. I explained I was going to my room. We were followed in by other guests in the same situation.

Note to management. You have a really special property here. You might want to think about making guests feel welcomed. It was pretty surreal!

Al hat said, I still highly recommend the Hotel. The property outweighs the shoddy greeting the guests received on a Saturday afternoon!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jmichealr
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked a last minute room at the Stanley when we realized we'd be arriving in Estes Park one day before our campsite reservations at RMNP. I was so excited to be staying here and I was not let down.

To start, the front desk staff was amazingly helpful. A woman working at the check in desk overheard us asking for an auto shop and gave us directions and contact info for a great place. I didn't catch her name but her help was SO appreciated. Our room in the main building was lovely with a huge closet, nice comfy bed, and large windows. There was some noise that came into the room from the restaurant and fountain below, but I personally didn't find it to be a problem. I loved the framed prints in our room showing the hotel's construction. The gift shop was great, with offerings ranging from really beautiful clothing and accessories to fun Shining related memorabilia.

The location is perfect and you can walk from the hotel to so many shops and restaurants or you can stay on site and enjoy the beautiful mountain views.

If I'm lucky enough to return soon to Colorado, I will definitely try to work in another stay at the Stanley Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amy N
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your impromptu visit to our hotel! I am happy to hear that our staff was very accomodating, and able to assist. We would love to have the opportunity to host you again, and hopefully you have another "wicked awesome" time! Thank you again.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two days. This hotel was pretty poor in my opinion. When I first booked this, I thought this hotel would be historic but not falling apart. First, we had to constantly slam the door forward and pull on the handle at the same time just to get the card to work on the door to our room. We only learned this technique from the maintenance staff after visiting the front desk multiple times getting new cards for our door thinking the cards weren't working. Second, our bathroom had tiles that were cracked and coming up not to mention long black hairs on the floor when we arrived. We asked the front desk to clean the bathroom while we were out but they must have not seen the hair since there were so many cracks in the tiles. I chose to clean it up since they were incapable. Just because you get a classic queen room doesnt mean you should have a 1star hotel experience. Overall the city of Estes park is great but the Stanley is not.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank gfunk11686
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit. I'd ask that you reach out to me directly to discuss the opportunities during your stay. Thank you.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just returning from a business meeting at the Stanley Hotel. Overall a very good experience as this is a nice venue to host a business meeting with a historic backdrop.

We booked about 30 rooms and took a group of clients for 5 days. This was a business meeting with some casual time. The sales and meeting planning group did a great job. The staff assigned to our events were very attentive and friendly. Several clients offered complimentary comments about the dinners and receptions. Meeting arrangements and rooms were good and service was above average in the meeting room. The general manager, Rick, also stopped to speak with our group at a wine and whiskey dinner and was very entertaining and helped make the evening memorable. If you are taking a group to this venue consider the wine and whiskey pairing dinner. our group loved it.

Property has undergone constant renovation and is continually improving. We booked about 35 rooms. As with other historic properties some do not have air which is not unusual so make sure to request the appropriate accommodation at booking. Out lying condos just adjacent to the main building are very nice and well appointed.

Dining is good - quality of food is above average for this type of property. Bar service was a bit slow at times but probably due to the weekends being busy.

Ghost tour and historic tours are fun and worth the time. Our group had fun and kids enjoyed it.

All in all, good choice if you are looking for a historic property with charm to host a meeting. Take time to see some of the history as this property has a very storied past.

Room Tip: If you desire air cond request at reservation. Rooms in lodge are nice and quiet and just a short w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris L
Thank you for your very construcitve feedback; we were extremely happy to host you and your group for the weekend, and would absolutely love the opportunity to play your host again. I am happy to hear the event was a success, and more happy that our events team exceeded your expectations. Thank you again!
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Definitely get one of the four front suites facing mountains - gorgeous!
The food was was exceptional and staff amiable.
Easy convenient location.
Take the ghost tour for some mysterious fun.
Also take in the beauty of the mountains and wildlife by hooking up with Rocky Mountain trail riding guides.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great feedback, our chef and his team do a wonderful job. I am happy to hear that your time here was enjoyable, and look forward to an opportunity to serve you again. Thank you!