“Beautiful (haunted) hotel!”

Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Rockaway Township, NJ
“Beautiful (haunted) hotel!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We loved it! The "haunted" was tastefully done and not over the top. We had our 6year old son and he didn't even know the history until we took the tour, which made sleeping much easier! The hotel itself was grand and the surrounding grounds were beautiful. We stayed in room 413, which was on the haunted floor and I was sad not to have seen or heard anything abnormal. I get the impression the rooms are all different. I've noticed many complaints about room sizes but ours was huge! We took the Stanley Tour with Maria, which had the perfect blend of history and haunted background. My hubby and I cannot wait to come back for the ghost tour! The only issue we had was in the restaurant. The service was not the best. The waitress was a moron. My meal came with bacon so I explained I'm a vegetarian and to hold the bacon.... So she brought ham instead. She also screwed up my sons order, my food was cold and I had to seek out beverage refills-this may be specific to the waitress though so take this part of the review lightly. The hotel as a whole was outstanding!

Room Tip: Ask for 413!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karliesjz
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Room 413 is a fantastic room, it is a deluxe room that is on the top floor and in the corner. Maria is relatively new to the team and it makes me very happy to hear what a great job she is doing. I have shared your comments with our restaurant staff so that we may avoid these mistakes in the future. Thank you very much again for your business and we look forward to playing your host again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at The Stanley for our 1 year anniversary. We had stayed here once before right after Christmas 3 years ago and loved it then (decked out in Christmas trees and lights...beautiful)! This time there were additional great aspects and some new not great aspects. I loved the patio in the back of the hotel with the umbrella coverings and bar! I also loved the front porch/veranda that overlooks Estes Park! They have an awesome cocktail menu too! I could have sat with their 'Elderflower Mule' cocktail in either of those places for hours...so grand! The bar is cool too! We felt like we were Jim Carrey from Dumb and Dumber (which was filmed here)! The hotel lobby is very grand with parlour rooms! It was very busy for the Memorial weekend. There was even a Jack Nicholson look-a-like wondering the property (obviously homage to The Shining...which they play on a channel any time of the day). Elk graze in the yard and there was what looked like a covered pool which would be nice in the summer! It's a short walk to town which was great since parking in town on the holiday weekend was tough.

Down sides- our room, while keeping in mind the history, was shabby. Wall paper peeling, the knob for the bath/shower seemed broken (took a while to even figure it out), didn't seem like the cleaning staff cleaned up the room much between days. Obviously no air conditioning but there were 2 fans thank God! The fourth floor (room 415) gets hot and stuffy even though it was high 60's/low 70's. There was a drop in the ceiling over the bed because of the shape of the roof which made it seem smaller. The bathroom has been updated which made it look nice. I love the old stairs in the hallways! And the old elevator! The bar staff, except for the New Zealand guy on the patio were pretentious and rude. It is pricey for the quality but it's old and you're paying for the mystique of history!

However, the hotel is beautiful and I would stay there again and again!

1 Thank greenpixies
Thank you for your return visit, and candid feedback. I am pleased to hear despite a few shortcomings, that your visit was enjoyable and you will return. I have shared your comments with all departments as we are constantly trying to improve our product and service. We absolutely appreciate your business and look forward to your future return. Thank you again.
Steamboat Springs, CO
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is really a special hotel, yes, maybe a little old but historic and classic. My wife got two nights on a Living Social Deal, and it came with a $30 food credit. No resort fee, free parking, great high speed internet (I'm a writer/editor) and lots of cool stuff. This is a hotel that you will always remember. Watched the movie "The Shining" late last night on one of the hotel channels. Lots to explore, funky and old. You will like this place!

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a mountain view room. Those rooms tend to be a larger.
1 Thank otis1978
Thank you for your recent visit, we appreciate you making the drive! I am happy to hear that your visit was fantastic and we look forward to hosting your return! Thank you again!
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights in the superior king with amazing views of the Rocky Mountains. Room was super clean, comfortable beds and pillows. It seems like they are more concerned with tourist customer service than guests. Both nights were spent dealing with the flash of cameras through the windows quite late into the night. The front desk staff were wonderful, the restaurant staff were not. The gift store staff were sort of aloof and unhelpful. The views and history are just awesome and that is where the good points of this review are coming from, but they have some work to do. Worth a stay for sure though.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and appreciate your feedback. I have shared your comments with all appropriate departments as we are constantly looking to improve our product and service. I am happy to hear that your overall visit was enjoyable. Thank you again for your business!
Hiroshima, Japan
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our honey moon and loved every second of it. We first got a top floor room in the "haunted" area but this was right next to the elevator so we asked for a new room. They put us up in a King Room and it was AWESOME! Great views and a great time. I think of this hotel as a pure old style luxury hotel. We are staying there again next month (June 2013) and cannot wait. Elk very frequently tour the grounds. Yes there is no A/C but you are in the Rocky Mountains in a very historic Hotel, open the window, enjoy what it is not what it doesn't have. Stay in a best western if you want A/C. I was a little overwhelmed by how much they sold the ghost thing but I kind of ignored it. Ask for a bottle of wine on the front porch at twilight...it will change your life.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your long visit across the pond! I am extremely happy that your honeymoon was a success, and absolutely thrilled that you have already planned your visit for next year! The atmosphere and views from the veranda are spectacular! Thank you so much for business and we look forward to your return!
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We came up here after attending our son's wedding earlier in the day. We shared a 2 bedroom condo (detached from the hotel building) with another couple. The hotel is designed to reflect the 1907 time period and does an amazing job of doing exactly that. The condos are quite the opposite. They are ultra modern, contain a full kitchen and have all of the modern amenities found in an upscale resort facility. The living room was 2 stories tall as the 2nd bedroom/bathroom is on the loft. The mattress was just right and we had a very comfortable sleep. It was amazingly quiet throughout the night and you are only 200 feet (walking distance) from the actual hotel at any time. The unit contained board games, reading material, a gas fireplace, big flat screen tv but strangely enough ...... no telephone. How strange was that? We used our cell phones to call the hotel so it was not a problem but very strange. We stayed in the actual hotel a little over a year ago and had a room on the haunted 4th floor. There were people cruising the hallways all night long (looking for ghosts) and although amusing, it was noisy into the early hours of the morning. The condo is the perfect solution as you can roam the hotel until all hours of the night and still get a great sleep by leaving the building. We ended our stay with an outstanding breakfast in the Cascades restaurant in the main hotel. A 2 minute walk from the condo and we were there. The weekend was a bit on the pricy side but it was a very special occasion and worth the splurge. Oh yeah, the price for the 2 bedroom condo was less than that for 2 rooms in the hotel. Stay here - you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Our condo faced the valley (south) and had amazing views of the mountains.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit, I hope your son's wedding was exceptional! The condos are definitely a different contrast to the original buildings on property. I am happy your visit was enjoyable, and we look forward to your future visit! Thank you again!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our first stay at the Stanley Hotel and it was fantastic. By far, the best quality of the hotel has to be the terrific service we got from everyone. It was clear that they really cared that we enjoyed our stay. Our room was in the main building, on the first floor and there was some noise form above, but nothing out of the ordinary. The views from the veranda are spectacular!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
My favorite feedback to hear is about our staff, I am so happy we were able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate your business and look forward to hosting you in the future!